Tank Transfer Method

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Does anyone here do the tank transfer method of QT? I've been reading up on it on the other forums. I've read that wrasses don't respond well to copper and I'm scared to death of ich (and flukes). I'm going to try tank transfer for the first time on my two new wrasses (Cosmetus and Vrolik's). It seems pretty easy. I think I'll just use my 10 gallon aquarium and buy another one. Here's what I'm planning:

Day 1 First tank
Day 4 Switch tanks
Day 7 Switch tanks
Day 10 Switch tanks
Day 13 Switch tanks and use Prazi
Day 16 DT

I'll observe the fish throughout the process to look for signs of disease.

It's easy for me to do 10 gallon water changes since my DT is so big. I'll just make up a brute can of fresh saltwater this weekend and when I want to switch QT tanks, I'll just pull 10 gallons out of my DT and put 10 gallons of fresh back in the DT. This way, the water in the QT tanks will be very stable since it is coming from my DT.

The only concern I have is that switching tanks every three days may stress the fish and cause them not to eat. Have you ever done this method? Thoughts on my proposed process?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I'm giving it a go. Seems pretty easy to me. I do water changes every few days in my qt anyway. I don't really care if I do 3 gallons or ten.

Although, the Vroliks wrasse I've got in qt has some white stringy poop and tattered fins. Not impressed by the fish I got from LA. One DOA and one with internals. I'm going to run prazi in two of the transfers. What else should info for internals? Prazi soaked food?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I did my second transfer last night. The process is really easy. Both wrasses are eating well and the tattered fins on the Vrolik's are looking much better. I'm running Prazi on this transfer and I'll run it again on the next. I made up 50 gallons of saltwater, so these transfers are pretty easy. I actually put ten gallons of fresh saltwater in my DT and use the ten gallons taken out of the DT for my QT. I'm getting a 10 gallon water change in my DT every three days. Win, Win!

Here is a simple description and explanation of why the process works.

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/3daytransfer.html

fredfish13

did the tank transfer method a year ago with some fish i got from petco, just because they were from petco. did basically the same way you are doing it. not sure if i ran prazi or not. fish looked good from the get go and no one died. i used a 20 long and 10 g and only filled 20 with 10 g of SW from DT. kept them in QT for a 3 weeks. Good luck.

Mjl714

Circulation in the 10 gallon tanks, what did you do? Powerhead, or air line bubbler? Otherwise only a heater was in tank?

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
[MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] thanks for the details. I'll definitely be doing this on my next fish purchase. Good to hear first hand how it goes though.