Thank you! for starting this

imbuggin

A BIG thank you for starting this! Lets hope none of us ever need to go back to reef central and the power crazy MODS!!!

Please don't let this site get to be over policed like reef central. There is a reason all the people with lots of experienece and knowledge left that place!

Thanks again!!:):)

mr_z

i hate reef central its so confusing the way their sections are ive only ever posted like 10 times not much help i like going on one called 3reef dot com great site. i like this one becasue its local new we are the first members and its all about CHICAGO!!!!! :) so maybe local help can be better

imbuggin

correct every time you try to help someone out on Reef central it comes back to bite you. I have got into trouble giving stuff away because others were trying to sell it. I am just glad this got started lets hope it takes off.

On that note your 11th post on Reef central should be to tell people about this board. They will of course take it down, but its worth a shot.

EyeReef

Hey thats why this forum was started...Chicago has enough reefers to have their own site... Trust me this site will never be strict like RC..
Im hoping people will find this place their new home.. Best way to spread the word is word of mouth. I tried via Rc but failed miserably.
Eventually we will have our own totm potm featured lfs etc

EyeReef

You guys should feel special.. If this site does take off a few years from now you guys will be considered the "OG"s of the site lol

1boatnut

It would be nice if CMAS could be hosted on more then 1 site.
I have numerous issues with the site (RC)being either very slow or non responsive.
I have no idea if that is because of volume,or other issues.

I noticed on RC in the CMAS section there are alot of closed/locked threads.
I do notice a few heavy handed Mods,but for the most part most are OK.
I try to keep a perspective that its only a fish forum.:cool:

Truthfully I moderated 5 boating forums,and what happens in the forums does not always indicate what is happening behind the scenes.
I guess its a "thankless job"

I wish this site well & agree,thank you for starting this

mr_z

lol for real we can always say we were the first few to join. itd be awesome to be a mod also i dont know much about the hobby yet but i am learning alot of new things every day. and every site takes time to get going but ill be sure to be here as much as possible to see it rise to fame lol.

Smitty

Premium member
I've never been a member of RC, but I am a member of Livingreefs.com. Wonderful people over there, and I've been a member for a few years now.

soggy pocktets

glad to have found this site.

Was banned from RC once, came back about 6 months after under different username, innocently mentioned in pm to other on the site..and they turned me in...

It is unfortunate what has happened to the site..yrs ago was hands down the best resource for information and used equipement and livestock.

Any who-glad to be here and look forward to contributing and helping other fellow hobbyists out when I can.

Thanks for having me.

bill.

EyeReef

glad to have found this site.

Was banned from RC once, came back about 6 months after under different username, innocently mentioned in pm to other on the site..and they turned me in...

It is unfortunate what has happened to the site..yrs ago was hands down the best resource for information and used equipement and livestock.

Any who-glad to be here and look forward to contributing and helping other fellow hobbyists out when I can.

Thanks for having me.

bill.
Even though RC has its moments, I cant live without. Its definitely a valuable resource. I do not wish for this site to replace RC for you guys, but to use in conjunction. By having a local site, we can connect easier with all the local reefers around us. Whether it be buy, sell, trade, or just make new friends that share this hobby

imbuggin

Even though RC has its moments, I cant live without. Its definitely a valuable resource. I do not wish for this site to replace RC for you guys, but to use in conjunction. By having a local site, we can connect easier with all the local reefers around us. Whether it be buy, sell, trade, or just make new friends that share this hobby
Oh I can live without it. I have been banned so many times and never made a bad comment or anything. Once tried to sell something cheap and didn't have enough post so of course life ban, no chance to defend myself. Another time I was banned because I made a joke about bush letting drilling go on in national protected waters, of course life ban no chance to defend myself. Another time I was trying to give away free frags and got banned because someone else was selling them.

My point is my goal is and was always to help fellow reffers. RC is moderated by power hungry people who love to BAN people without a chance for them to even defent themselves. I also feel like MANY of those mods are not qualified to give out info as I have witnessed them give out incorrect information many times. I have almost 30 years experience keeping salt water tanks. I strongly believe there is a reason people with experience like myself are not on RC's board anymore.

Man I would bet $1000 this thread drives them crazy over there and they wish they could shut it down;)

soggy pocktets

RC WAS a valuable resource...now it a site run by a few and if you are not a friend of them...look out.

I DO hope this site replaces RC - that's what free markets are all about.

Good luck and I will be sure to spread the word.

mr_z

i think rc is a decent website but i hate how the sections are setup. i like to use 3reef which is more organized threads and sections. you find a few chicago ppl there to.

scotty

I still use nano-reef, i think it's better than RC, but they really don't have the big units in mind over there, everyone is pretty much a 40 breeder and lower mindset. It's fine for me cause i have a Nano! but srsly, "replacing" years and years of expertise wont happen, unless they shut down and those people come here. As long as mr. mod is ok with lotsa citing from those sites here, we don't even need to replace it, just use them for their info and creep over there, and talk over here!!!

fastrc

I'm a CMAS member and ive noticed a few more over here, Hopefully the word will go to everyone there and they become members here. I don't think this site has any conflict with RC as this is local not nationwide, I know they'll never let us advertise this there but they are member hungry. The slow problems they been having over there won't be fixed by there mods because i mentioned ways to help them correct it and all i got was a smart azz mod tell me they don't have that type of problem and pretty well told me to mind my own business. I was SO wanting to voice my opinion to him but i knew i was over his intellect to bother.The locked thread issue is sort of good to a point, Selling things is nice but getting scammed isn't. They make sure your a fellow reefer not someone trying to scam people out of money, I think that part works good but the local selling on local forums or trading i think should be a little more lenient because locals trade and meet local to buy items.