The Server Move thread

jrpark22000

Premium member
Hi CR,

As part of the sale the site will be moving to a new server, an oversized virtual private server by one of the best companies. They have top notch support and uptime. I’m still prepping the server for the site. I expect a week or 2 before I’m done. The move will take place 1 to 2 weeks afterwards. I’ll post an announcement here and likely a separate thread prior to the site lockdown. We’ll work in an off-peak time to complete the move but will plan for 1 day of downtime and second day as a backup plan. If it goes smoothly and according to plan the site won’t be down for more than 12 hours. My #1 priority is to ensure the database, your PM, pictures, posts, threads and everything else is 100% whole and operating smoothly. #2 priority is doing the move as quickly as possible while keeping #1 priority in mind.

Once the site is on the new server, I’ll have the ability to create a couple backup copies of the site for upgrade testing, feature enhancements, changes and troubleshooting of problems. Only tested changes done on the backup site, will be added to the live site you all are using. These backups sites will also serve as hot standby in case of problems. With a few tweaks the backup site can be activated for your use. The backup site will be on the same server leaving a single failure point, but this is why I chose a top notch hosting company. There will also be frequent offsite copies of the live site database, incase everything on the server is lost or corrupted. All of these steps are to prevent issues like the site saw earlier this year. I wanted to share my plans to prevent such failures in the future.

In the meantime, I’ll keep this thread periodically updated with progress. If you have any questions, please post or PM.

-Josh

Ok, the move date is set

Friday Aug 29th, starting 8pm CST.

I'll be on during the afternoon prepping. Then an hour or so before, post an update in chat and in the thread the move will start soon. Sharply at 8pm, I'll lock the site down so no one can be active. Then start all the work.

Last edited:

MikeyB

Thanks Josh! I think everyone is on the same page as we'd rather have a longer downtime moving everything over safely vs risking losing anything. We all know how bad it was with the last crash

Sounds great, if you ever need any help with technical stuff I'm in that field as well so I'm always willing to throw some assistance every now and then.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Thanks for all the support Guys. Yes, it is a lot of work. Several hours a day, every day, likely for a month or two.

If anyone has spare time and would be interested in being a tester, please send me a PM. I'll be putting up a password protected copy of the current site. I'll be using the copy to ensure everything runs smooth, all files/images and settings are operational. I'll do my own testing prior but would love to get some more eyes on it when the time comes.

vucious

How about that wife alert ... umm ... I mean member alert feature that everyone (me) is requesting? :playful:

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
Ok, the first good running copy of the site is operational on the new server. I have given 4 testers access to the site to see what I missed and what might be broken still. I'm hoping a week or so of this, then I'll schedule the site move in about 2 weeks after.

Sorry for the extra week of delay, between my day job and a few problems I ran over my estimate.

If anyone else is interested in being a tester, shoot me a PM.

madjoe

Premium member
Ok, the first good running copy of the site is operational on the new server. I have given 4 testers access to the site to see what I missed and what might be broken still. I'm hoping a week or so of this, then I'll schedule the site move in about 2 weeks after.

Sorry for the extra week of delay, between my day job and a few problems I ran over my estimate.

If anyone else is interested in being a tester, shoot me a PM.
I heard anther guy from japan broke it already im not gonna mention any names :p but sounds like a rappers name