The Server Move thread

jrpark22000

Premium member
:bump: for a couple more testers. So far no new problems have been seen but I'd feel much better if 2 more people could look at it.

Hopefully we can get a couple more sets of eyes on the test site for validation. If all goes well in validation, we'll plan the move 1-2 weeks after. I've got the process to backup this site, move it and get it running down to about 2 hours. I figure a couple more hours of testing, but I have no idea how long the DNS propagation will take. Baring any large unforeseen problems the move should be done and the site operational by the morning after lockdown, if the godaddy DNS change happens fast.

I'll likely lock the site down about 8pm CST on the given day of the move. Once locked no-one will be able to view or login into the forum. This preserves all the posts, images, PM, itrader, chat, etc. Nothing will be lost in the move.

steveo9043

:bump: for a couple more testers. So far no new problems have been seen but I'd feel much better if 2 more people could look at it.

Hopefully we can get a couple more sets of eyes on the test site for validation. If all goes well in validation, we'll plan the move 1-2 weeks after. I've got the process to backup this site, move it and get it running down to about 2 hours. I figure a couple more hours of testing, but I have no idea how long the DNS propagation will take. Baring any large unforeseen problems the move should be done and the site operational by the morning after lockdown, if the godaddy DNS change happens fast.

I'll likely lock the site down about 8pm CST on the given day of the move. Once locked no-one will be able to view or login into the forum. This preserves all the posts, images, PM, itrader, chat, etc. Nothing will be lost in the move.
GoDaddy can be strange on changing the DNS, I've had them completed in a couple hours and worse case was 3 days. I haven't been on the test site since yesterday, ill try to get on here in a little. I have a couple things I want to test out for ya.

jrpark22000

Premium member
*******Tentative SERVER MOVE DATE***********

Friday Aug 29th, starting 8pm CST.

Please let me know if there are any conflicts that I am missing.

steveo9043

I don't know if its a good thing or bad thing but macna starts the 29th. Not sure if local members who are going planned on posting and updating us on stuff.

jrpark22000

Premium member
:bump: for any other conflicts

I don't know if its a good thing or bad thing but macna starts the 29th. Not sure if local members who are going planned on posting and updating us on stuff.
Thanks Steve. I overlooked Macna. If this is the only conflict, I'll continue with the planned date. I have a very large contingency for this weekend with several days off work, if needed.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Ok, I'm locking the date down.

Friday Aug 29th, starting 8pm CST.

I'll be on during the afternoon prepping. Then an hour or so before, post an update in chat and in the thread the move will start soon. Sharply at 8pm, I'll lock the site down so no one can be active. Then start all the work.

jrpark22000

Premium member
IM sure this has been answered already, how long you thinking it will take for the move?
If all goes well 4 hours for the actual move. The unknown is how long it will take for the DNS change to be done in godaddy and how long to propagate the change through the internet. That could take a lot longer.