To LED or not to LED

scotty

Again not my original thought, but I am the master of research, and I love when people do the work for me and all I gotta do is find it, read it, and share it!! Another good piece from Chicago Fish and Coral Company.
http://www.chicagofishandcoral.com/blog/2010/11/leds/

LED's
29th Nov 2010 | Posted in: Lighting 0

You may have seen a number of LED light fixtures popping up in our store recently. We’re excited about this new technology and the many new avenues it opens for lighting every type of tank: freshwater and marine, fish only and reef.

Are LEDs really bright enough to use on an aquarium?

Absolutely; the technology has come a long way in recent years. An LED (or Light Emitting Diode) is a semiconductor whose surface radiates light when subjected to electricity. They can emit practically any color imaginable, including white, depending in part on the material used to make them. At first LEDs were good for little more than use as indicators, but in recent years their efficiency has increased to the point of being usable for brighter applications such as traffic lights and now even as replacement for conventional lights. It is these super bright LEDs that are used in aquarium lighting.

Why LEDs?

The simplest answer to that question is their amazingly low cost to run. While new LED fixtures do cost more than competing products (though not as much as they used to), they can often pay for themselves in short order due to lower electricity usage and much longer bulb life. Say we take two theoretical 210 gallon aquariums, one lit by 3 x 250W Metal Halides and the other by 4 x 50W Ecoxotic Cannon LEDs. The Cannon setup will cost roughly twice that of the Metal Halide setup ($2200 vs $1080). The Metal Halide aquarium will cost about $320/year in electricity with the Cannons costing less than $100/year. In addition, running Metal Halides will likely require the use of a chiller, not to mention regular bulb replacements (once a year vs. once every 10 years). The cost of a chiller can easily run in the $600-$900 range (plus another $153/year in electricity), bringing the Metal Halide initial cost to $1980. After the first year, the Metal Halide aquarium has now cost $2453 and the Cannon aquarium $2300. You would have earned yourself $153 by choosing LEDs! After two years, this difference could be up to $1000!

We did a similar comparison with LEDs vs a 6x80W T5 setup, with the LEDs paying for themselves sometime after the 4th year. So unless you plan on selling your aquarium in less than 5 years, LEDs are the way to go.

Pros/Cons (other than electricity)

Arguably the best aspect of LEDs is that they emit light primarily in one direction. There is no worry about reflectors and re-strike (light reflected back to the bulb), or other inefficiencies of that sort. Because of this, they can provide equal light output with far less power usage than other technologies. Less power also means less heat. Combine these two and you get fixtures that can be small and sleek and put out tons of light.

A benefit of LEDs that T5 users can appreciate is color customizability. Not many commercial fixtures offer this ability, but anyone constructing their own fixture can choose colors to suit their preferences. The locations of the LEDs can also be mapped out so that light is more intense over areas where corals will be, so no light is ‘wasted’ on sand beds or other empty areas.

A minor benefit, but one that draws many people to LEDs, is the shimmer or ‘glitter lines’. They’re the ripples of light on the sand and rock that really make it look like you’re in the ocean. LEDs and metal halides have this while fluorescents just do not. This is because, like metal halides (and the sun), LEDs are considered a ‘point source’ where light is emitted from a relatively small area.

The biggest downside to LEDs is actually their small size. Any single LED emits light in a relatively small area. This is especially true when secondary lenses are used to increase penetration through the water. The result is that LEDs must usually be placed very close together in order to get good coverage. If not, then you get ‘spot lighting’ where definable circles of light are noticeable (this is especially visible when multiple colors are used).

And because so many LEDs are needed for a single fixture, the price rises significantly, though this has come down in the last year and continues to do so. Years ago, the first LED fixtures would have cost many thousands of dollars for a 120 gallon tank, but now current solutions may only cost only a hair over $1000. While this is still pricey upfront compared to other technologies, remember our lighting comparisons: you could be ahead in as little as 1-4 years after considering electricity and bulb replacement.

Are LEDs right for me?

New setups can probably benefit the most from LEDs, since you won’t have already plunked down money for an existing fixture. That being said, aging fixtures, expensive replacement bulbs, and excess heat can all make good arguments for making the switch to LEDs.

And even if you’re not ready to make the full switch yet, they can also help as supplemental light. A strip of white or even blue LEDs along side of a state-of-the-art T5 setup can add the shimmer and a little extra pop of color.

Only the very large tanks (350+ gallon) may not yet be able to cash in on LEDs, given their current price structure. There are possibilities here, but are best decided on a case by case basis.

LEDs we carry

Our best selling fixture to date is the Ecoxotic Stunner. This 6 watt strip comes in white, blue, white/blue, and violet. Reflectors are available for even greater light output. Believe it or not, but just six of these units can successfully illuminate a 150 gallon tank in a fish only setup (and you’d only need one transformer to power them all).

The big brother of the Stunner is the Panorama. This is available in individual modules, as well as 3-module, 4-module, and 6-module units. Each module consists of 12 single watt LEDs in white/blue or all blue configurations. Two Panorama modules will easily grow corals in an 18” cube aquarium.

You can read a more extensive write-up of the Cannon here, so just a summary: it’s a 50W single die available in white or blue (and Ecoxotic has 100W and elliptical Cannon models coming). These are very bright with a large spread, and just 4 can light a 210 gallon tank, given enough height.

From Naxandra, we have the Ecoray 60, a 60W fixture with white/blue LEDs. Currently this is the only fixture we carry with lenses to improve their penetration on deeper tanks. As such, the spread of these lights is narrower, and they should be fairly closely spaced. Four Ecorays over a 120 gallon tank will grow even the most light-hungry of coral, while four could be used over a 210 if you don’t mind a little spotlighting in the upper levels of the tank.

We hope this gives you a basic primer on LEDs. If you have any additional questions about LEDs or your particular lighting situation, please comment below or ask us in the store.

Cheers

Eric

P.Olsen

That looks like an ad to sell LED's, the funny thing about researching on the internet is you can find opposite directions with each search you can find artices, blogs, posts etc that are 100% sure they are right and with a click of the mouse find articles, blogs, post, etc that are completely different, swear there info is right and everyone else is wrong...

The real factors I have seen after using them is they are prob the best overall lighting systems out there, they provide great PAR readings, low temps and lower elec usage but they are no more effective than a good T5 set up and MH still has the best overall appearence IMO because of the shimmer they provide. Like anything though there are cheap, decent and good and over the years I have found it better to get the best you can afford, not opting for a lower quality LED over a higher quality T5 or MH for the same money. Some people have the ability to justify the extra cost up front in order to save over the long run but there is nothing wrong with a good T5 or MH set up for 40%+ less $$$$$ up front.

I can also tell you they do use less elec overall and eliminate the need for a chiller in may cases but they never paid for themselves like the ad above says, they did cost less to operate but not enough to produe an ROI.

Pufferpunk

I was talking to a supplier (Dirk) who's coming to the CMAS swap, about getting a new bulb for the Viper clip on lamp I'm using over my frag tank. He said the bulb will cost $54. I was just at the CMAS meeting at a LFS where they were really pushing LEDs & saying that we all better sell our T5s & MH fixtures right now, because you won't be able to get a dime for them in a year from now. He was very convincing. Even handed out a chart on how much $$$ we'd save on electricity over a period of time with LEDs over MH/T5s. Very impressive! Of course, these were his numbers... and of course his shop is selling LEDs. Back to Dirk. So I told him I could buy an entire clip on LED set for my nano for $50 & maybe I should just get that instead. Here is his response:

The only led advice I have been giving is -yes they look neat but:
-The technology is still very new and going to change radically in the next 2-3 years
-Lights made now are going to be obsolete very soon
-Patience is still a virtue when it comes to our hobby
-If the money spent on led's is not really needed for anything else, go for it
-There have been more than a few people who did not like how the lights changed their tanks and went back to MH/T5's....
-IF, your tank is doing well with what you have, why rock the boat and change?
-To be honest, that can't be much of a light for $50...

I ordered the MH bulb!

Ms0099rg

Just wait it out. I am going to order then soon and will give updates weekly, if you guys want.

But again this will be a new setup.

Wish me luck. Again if it does not work I am out about $250.

xtlosx

I just picked pu a 135W BoostLED Mu Series fixture... It's hanging 5" over my 36G bow front, and my RBTA has parked himself on a rock, in the sand 20" down... Happy as could be, and blided by the light.

Love LEDs as I get the shimmer effect that MH provides as well.

SaylorsReef

I bought two PAR 38, 60 degrees, from Bill from Reef LED Lights at the swap. I'm going to start trying some soft corals with my seahorses.

Anyone know how far these should be from the water's surface on a 29 gallon for soft coral?

llewoh

good luck fellas. i would love to see some monthly pics of growth color, etc.

ive read post about the dreaded 1 year mark. corals seem to lose color or brown out. anyone know of any sucess stories?

i know LEDs are the future but until i have hard proof im just not going to gamble the lives of my current inhabitants on it. so anyone with good proof (not from a vendor) please share.

lukky424

i have evolution led and i luv them...my birdnest has start growing like crazy,my chalice are doing the same..i bought the lights to see if they would grow sps and yes they will...so i think im going to get rid of my MH now...

prestige-led

We have been testing out many led chips and color combinations and l.e.d.s are the absolute future in this hobby without a doubt.

Jep21

I love my led light :) it hurt my wallet a lot but it was well worth it.. I have an aqua illumination led nano with a controller.. Love how i can control the intensity of my white, blue, royal blue leds.. And my corals pop when i have the blue and royal blue leds on..

Sanjay will tell you photons are photons. Anything in the 420 -700nm range is going to be great. I am a believer, there is nothing brighter per watt other than fusion that is the wrong color and hotter than halide. The color contrasting is nice no heat and reduced energy but at a price.

BADGUS

No doubt leds are the future. Just beware of all these strip lights,they should not be used for the only source of lighting,otherwise your Corals will never thrive. Stunner strips are great accent lights nothing more.