Triton Water Test?

adam87

Has any body here use the Triton Water Test? I want to test my tank's water to figure out whats happening to my tank.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I did it a little over a year ago. It gives you tons of parameters, most of which you can't or won't do anything about. I did learn that I had low potassium.

SaraB

I did as well last October. I knew my Mag was high and got very accurate readings. Gives you lots of parameters and data!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adam87

test results

Unwanted heavy metals (180 Gallons)

Element Analysis Setpoint Deviation
Hg 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
Se 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
Cd 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
Sn 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
Sb 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
As 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/ l -0.10
Al 6.98 µg/l 2.00 µg/l 4.98
Pb 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
Ti 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
Cu 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
La 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
Sc 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
W 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10

Macro-Elements (180 Gallons)

Na 10707.00 mg/l 10700.00 mg/l 7.00
Ca 508.00 mg/l 440.00 mg/l 68.00
Mg 1335.00 mg/l 1370.00 mg/l -35.00
K 439.00 mg/l 400.00 mg/l 39.00
Br 59.82 mg/l 62.00 mg/l -2.18
B 3.96 mg/l 4.50 mg/l -0.54
Sr 5.21 mg/l 8.00 mg/l -2.79
S 638.00 mg/l 900.00 mg/l -262.00

Li-Group (180 Gallons)

V 0.00 µg/l 1.20 µg/l -1.20
Zn 0.00 µg/l 4.00 µg/l -4.00
Mn 0.00 µg/l 2.00 µg/l -2.00
I 10.55 µg/l 60.00 µg/l -49.45

Fe-Group (180 Gallons)

Cr 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
Co 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10
Fe 4.07 µg/l 0 µg/l 3.97

Ba-Group (180 Gallons)

Ba 67.52 µg/l 10.00 µg/l 57.52
Be 0.00 µg/l 0 µg/l -0.10

Si-Group (180 Gallons)

Si 59.64 µg/l 100.00 µg/l -40.36

Nutrient-Group (180 Gallons)

P 0.00 µg/l 6.00 µg/l -6.00
PO4 0.000 mg/l 0.018 mg/l -0.018

adam87

I use red sea and API test kits. I did the test mainly for testing for heavy metals, but the test shows 0. Which is good and rules out heavy metals what is causing STN in my tank.
I still don't know whats causing the STN on most of my corals, maybe its bad bacteria?

Paulip

Bad bacteria is the cause, but not the root. Stirred up a DSB lately? Carbon dosing along with a bio pellet reactor? Do you think your tank has swung to overly bacterial?

Your water seems on point chemically. Might just be a lack of flow from having such huge colonies. : )

I recently read an article about a testing kit to benchmark the bacterial levels in our tanks, but that test would only be a broad survey. Didn't see the date of publication.

SkullV

Bad bacteria is the cause, but not the root. Stirred up a DSB lately? Carbon dosing along with a bio pellet reactor? Do you think your tank has swung to overly bacterial?
On what do you base the assumption that bad bacteria is the cause of his STN?

Paulip

It was based on some post made by the admin of another forum. ( It might be poor form to post his name. And Josh, is a really cool guy.) I can PM you his name , but I am not able to find the thread.

Their conversations revolved around guys stirring up DSB's which resulted in a bacterial bloom and STN (across the board). So it's not bad bacteria per se, but too much of it. So, that and the bacterial driven systems of this era seems to provide a commonality with people's experiences.

Here is the link for the bacteria test and some finger pointing to bacteria for RTN. http://www.fishchannel.com/saltwater-aquariums/aquarium-frontiers/testing-for-bacteria.aspx

Oh, a dip of one of your specimen's might also produce evidence if you have a pest.

Last edited:
I will admit its plausible, but quite a stretch considering we have very little to go on other than very accurate parameters. Have there been Alkalinity or salinity swings? Any critters that hitchhiked in? Dead spots in the flow? It could be anything, I have had a few STNs along the road and couldnt nail it down to anything in particular. Maybe its just a tiny piece in the puzzle.

Last edited:

SkullV

Their conversations revolved around guys stirring up DSB's which resulted in a bacterial bloom and STN (across the board). So it's not bad bacteria per se, but too much of it. So, that and the bacterial driven systems of this era seems to provide a commonality with people's experiences.
This is a more plausible reason (although very unlikely the actual problem).

madjoe

Premium member
I use red sea and API test kits. I did the test mainly for testing for heavy metals, but the test shows 0. Which is good and rules out heavy metals what is causing STN in my tank.
I still don't know whats causing the STN on most of my corals, maybe its bad bacteria?
Any temp swings? Are u using any kind of controller that can log it that was my problem twice with stn . Also have u checked for stay current ? If your water checks ok with a proffesional test like that u obviouslly have a issue thats not water quality least im guessing that test says your good i cant read it lol to many number for this idiot lol. In my yrs ive kept sps my stn issues were always temp related took me a month and breaking down my tank to figure it out every time i checked temp it looked good go to find out the lights kept temp good during day but was dropping 6 degrees at night due to a faulty heater my dumb azz only ran 1 heater and was cheapo . Any ways few more thing u can check hope u figure it out

adam87

No temp swings, I use an apex controller. Alkalinity stays between 8.6-9, salinity always 1.025, cal is 480, N03 is 0, PH 8.4. I was using bio pellets but took it off about two weeks ago.
I don't have a DSB, its almost BB tank. For flow I use a RW-15 and Maxspect Gyre XF150 with Gyre Interface module. Salt mix I use is Tropic Marin Sea Salt.

The few of the corals that are doing great are: UC Shortcake, ORA "Tricolor" Valida, Leptastrea, Hammer, Lobophyllia, Zoanthid, Ricordea Yuma.

The some of the bad ones are: all of my 40 acans, Duncan, candy cane, Monti, ORA Ant, Pocillopora, ORA "Stuber Staghorn", ORA "Green Planet Acro", Strawberry Shortcake.

SkullV

No temp swings, I use an apex controller. Alkalinity stays between 8.6-9, salinity always 1.025, cal is 480, N03 is 0, PH 8.4. I was using bio pellets but took it off about two weeks ago.
I don't have a DSB, its almost BB tank. For flow I use a RW-15 and Maxspect Gyre XF150 with Gyre Interface module. Salt mix I use is Tropic Marin Sea Salt.

The few of the corals that are doing great are: UC Shortcake, ORA "Tricolor" Valida, Leptastrea, Hammer, Lobophyllia, Zoanthid, Ricordea Yuma.

The some of the bad ones are: all of my 40 acans, Duncan, candy cane, Monti, ORA Ant, Pocillopora, ORA "Stuber Staghorn", ORA "Green Planet Acro", Strawberry Shortcake.
Thats a tough one with the list of good/bad corals. Usually if it was a "water too clean" issue you would see the lobo and zoas go south along with the acans. A few of the corals you listed (acans, monti, ORA Green Planet, and SSC) are notorious for not doing well when NO3 and P04 are zeroed out.

I recently had a similar issue when adding GFO and bottoming out my PO4 too quickly. Similar list of corals (save the LPS) which were doing well and doing poorly. I have been dosing Acropower and feeding with Coral Frenzy 3x weekly for the last 2 weeks and things are coming around. I didn't have any STN/RTN issues though so could be something totally different.

Could also be an issue with too much light but unlikely. Good luck!

adam87

I also stop using GFO for now just to see what happens to the corals. What hurts me the most is losing my acans because most of them are rainbows.

SkullV

I also stop using GFO for now just to see what happens to the corals. What hurts me the most is losing my acans because most of them are rainbows.
Do you have any algae issues? If not I would also considering some amino acid supplement as well as a more particulate focused food (LRS Reef Frenzy, Rods, etc.). What type of lighting are you using? Have you made any lighting changes recently?

Paulip

You obviously run a tight ship with all your params. I thought you had mostly delicate SPS across the board. The ailments do not seem to correlate between delicate vs hardier species. Quite a bit of contrast between a Duncan, Acan and a Monti all having problems while some delicate acros are doing well.

Perhaps, you can do a dip on one or two different specimens. You could loose them because of their weakened state. However, you may find something in the dip water before it spreads further.

In any case, Best of luck. Please tell us what you find.

Last edited:

adam87

Do you have any algae issues? If not I would also considering some amino acid supplement as well as a more particulate focused food (LRS Reef Frenzy, Rods, etc.). What type of lighting are you using? Have you made any lighting changes recently?
I do have some algae issues but once I switch to Tropic Marin Sea Salt most of it is gone now. I do use an amino acid supplement (two little fishies). My lighting is leds, ocean revive Arctic-S026, no lighting changes.