Type of algea

Mpdan

Premium member
This has started to pop up in the tank. Any id or way to get rid of it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cubano32

Premium member
This has started to pop up in the tank. Any id or way to get rid of it?

Try a emerald crab...mine wipes all the hair alage in my tank

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mpdan

Premium member
Try a emerald crab...mine wipes all the hair alage in my tank

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I think this is different than hair algae. I did have a problem with hair algea that tubos have taken care of. This does not flow like hair algea does

Mpdan

Premium member
If you remove as much as possible by hand, usually the rest will be taken care of by clean up crew.
Yea I have to try to pull a bunch out. The same as I did with hair algea. I have thought of getting a refugium. Will a refugium take up too much of the nutrients in the tank for zoas and mushrooms? I know they like the water a bit dirty.

goatous

I used fluconazole against Bryopsis and found it to be effective. It also temporarily wiped out green hair algae also.
Fluconazole may be effective against this guy too.

madjoe

Premium member
That crap sucks man its like astro turf . Nothing eats it ive had it and tryed every thing if u can get to rocks pull them out rip that crap off and scrap and rinse that area clean i was pulling soft ball size patches off all in one piece. Good luck

madjoe

Premium member
Btw ive tried both fox faces the yellow and the magnificent i trued three different rabbit fish and urchins galore tangs u name it . The urchins did ok if u got most buy yanking it but still came back all the time

Mpdan

Premium member
Oh boy lol. My tank is not big enough for a foxface. Looks like manual removal for me yay.

Mpdan

Premium member
I used fluconazole against Bryopsis and found it to be effective. It also temporarily wiped out green hair algae also.
Thanks I'll look it up

skyon888

x2 for fluconazole

I've been algae free for almost 2 years now after using it.

madjoe

Premium member
x2 for fluconazole

I've been algae free for almost 2 years now after using it.
This is the only thing I didn’t try on this type of algae. Wasn’t either known about back when i had it or maybe just not talked about . Definitely Might be worth your while to try this . Also black outs dont work in case someone mentions that your corals will die long before this crap does it’s definitely one the harder algae to get rid of

mikenh77

its Green Wiry Algae

looks at this

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

other than the clean up crew he mentioned a fox face/ rabbit fish would get rid of it in a few days ..
Tinman good call. I had this over running my tank for a year, then I got lucky and the magnificent foxface I picked up ate it. And somehow it taught my hippo tang, tomini tang, and yellow tang to eat it when schooling together. My snails and hermits never touched it.

Since your tank is too small for them (and buying a fish to eat a specific thing usually doesn't work out too well anyways). Pull all of it out that you can and keep up good husbandry. What's your lighting schedule? I turned down my whites and reds on my led and it helped a lot too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mpdan

Premium member
Tinman good call. I had this over running my tank for a year, then I got lucky and the magnificent foxface I picked up ate it. And somehow it taught my hippo tang, tomini tang, and yellow tang to eat it when schooling together. My snails and hermits never touched it.

Since your tank is too small for them (and buying a fish to eat a specific thing usually doesn't work out too well anyways). Pull all of it out that you can and keep up good husbandry. What's your lighting schedule? I turned down my whites and reds on my led and it helped a lot too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Picture of light schedule.