Type of algea

Mpdan

Premium member
**Update**
15 days after dosing with 3 Reef Flux 200mg capsules about 21mg per gallon all Bryopsis is gone and almost all of the gha I had in the tank is gone or is dying. No ill effects seen in the tank so far. Lol I usually do a weekly 20% water change so the tank does look a bit dirty. The only change is lack of algea and my nem has decided to move, unsure if this has anything to do with the treatment. Going to give it 1 more week before doing a water change. Thanks all for your help.View attachment 24122

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

johnpirnat

It's always a nutrient issue. Fish need less food than you think, the Ocean is very nutrient poor and food hard to come by. If you test and see little to no Phosphate or Nitrate that tells you nothing if GHA is growing and sucking it out of the water before you test. Water change, cut feeding in half, pull out what you can, run GFO.

Honestly though, best move I've made in the hobby has been dosing NO3P04-x from Red Sea. Need a sump and skimmer to use, but havent had a problem since. I dont have to run GFO anymore.

But seriously, fish can survive on very little. I have mid size Tomini, Blue, Two Clowns, Mandarin, Diamond Goby, and another one cant remember name of. Usually put in half a cube of PE Mysis a day once in the morning (prob less than that, i rip a small pinch of sheet so am approximating) . Then a small small pinch of pellets at night maybe every other day. If ANY algae shows i cut the pellets and it goes away. They all are doing/growing fine.

John