Visited Old Orchard Aquarium yesterday

rattyE36

Called to get some pricing on live rock and apparently they don't quote prices over the phone. I called the guy out and said "nice sales technique" and he said the policy is because they sell stuff based on quality and not price. I think its because if they named any of their through the roof prices over the phone then people would never actually make it into the store! Their facility and stock is amazing but their service and pricing could use some work!

gig

Yeah, if they wont give you prices over the phone, that's pretty shady...I used to go there 10+ years ago when I lived in Skokie....I ended up driving all the way out to Shotank in Mundelein and before that, Chris Beal's place way out in wheeling, way better prices and service.

jcarlilesiu

Called to get some pricing on live rock and apparently they don't quote prices over the phone. I called the guy out and said "nice sales technique" and he said the policy is because they sell stuff based on quality and not price. I think its because if they named any of their through the roof prices over the phone then people would never actually make it into the store! Their facility and stock is amazing but their service and pricing could use some work!
That does seem odd.

I know that they have multiple types of live rock, some that is really nice and some that is more rubble. They also carry alot of base rock. To be honest, I don't really think that it does much good to try and plan your purchase for live rock over the phone. There are too many factors to consider. The shape of the rock, the way its being cured, how much growth is on it.

The other thing to consider is that many times the cost is based on how much you purchase. From 0-10 pounds is a different cost than 90-100 pounds. They give you a break depending on the amount you purchase.

I don't like when prices aren't published either, as if they change their price depending on the customer. If you don't like the cost after checking out their stock, then you aren't forced to buy it.

There is some logic though to not pricing over the phone. That conversation about the rock and the price I could see taking a very long time while customers in the store ready to buy something wait for the salesman on the phone.

poidog

no, but they could have said then "our rock ranges from $$$ to $$$ depending on xyz."

They do have very shady business practices up there.

Plus their live rock is full of pests, you don't want it anyway.

jcarlilesiu

no, but they could have said then "our rock ranges from $$$ to $$$ depending on xyz."

They do have very shady business practices up there.

Plus their live rock is full of pests, you don't want it anyway.
We can disagree.

I think its a great store with a personable and knowledgeable staff and great stock.

rattyE36

Went in today. Their prices are still crazy for most things but I bought 7lbs of "dead" rock for my aquascape and then after I get that good to go I'll get a few pounds of liverock to get my biology goin. In any case prices aside the store is incredible and they were very nice and helpful so there's something to be said for that! I will be going back but I don't see myself dropping $75 for a tiny frag. Rock seemed to be the only thing that was not over priced. Both live and decorative were the cheapest prices I had seen at ~$2 for dead and ~$5 for live.

ColaAddict

I stopped buying stock there awhile ago, they do tend to over price their livestock. I still go there to buy dry goods though.

I think Lancey' s not caucasian, is what he's trying to imply.
What a ridiculous and closed minded thing to say.

Anyway, Old Orchard has always been overpriced and underwhelming as far as service is concerned. There is just no reason not to make the short trip to Midwest Coral Farms if you are in that area.

ColaAddict

What a ridiculous and closed minded thing to say.

Anyway, Old Orchard has always been overpriced and underwhelming as far as service is concerned. There is just no reason not to make the short trip to Midwest Coral Farms if you are in that area.
Ummm, have you read the whole thread, somebody asked what lancey was trying to imply. why don't you read the whole thread first before calling me close minded.

Ummm, have you read the whole thread, somebody asked what lancey was trying to imply. why don't you read the whole thread first before calling me close minded.
Regardless of their (you fill in the blank) could mean:

• Weight
  • Hair Color
  • etc.

<<<MOD EDIT: Deleted due to Off-Topic banter>>>

jcarlilesiu

This thread is not about trying to decipher what a previous poster meant when discussing and reviewing their experience while visiting a local store. Nor is this discussion an appropriately location to talk about any poster being close minded or how they took the vague comment of the original poster.

Lets keep this discussion on topic.

ColaAddict

Well done mod! thank you for putting a stop to that. Anyways I like going there to buy dry goods (they have a pretty diverse aquarium supply). I haven't bought livestock there in a long time because I can get them cheaper somewhere else. I personally don't think they are racist, as I'm Asian and I go there.

gig

Well done mod! thank you for putting a stop to that. Anyways I like going there to buy dry goods (they have a pretty diverse aquarium supply). I haven't bought livestock there in a long time because I can get them cheaper somewhere else. I personally don't think they are racist, as I'm Asian and I go there.
Why by dry goods there, isn't it cheaper to get it from dfs or another online seller?

jcarlilesiu

Online purchases make sense if buying in bulk or when there is free shipping. If you are going to buy just a couple small itmes, many times shipping costs actually make the local pfish stores more affordable.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

poidog

Ditto! Who wants to wait three days for shipping when ya have a flatworm infestation lol I have bought some of their livestock, their fish ain't so bad.
you can order from PA and it'll be at your door next day :)

And if you actually call them instead of ordering online they can usually always help you out.