Water change stations

Darienreefs7

Hey everyone. I'm fascinated by how people set up water change systems and their fish rooms /equipment. Me and my dad just finished the stand and all the week I will be tweaking the plumbing and rodi unit.

anarchy

Man I wish I had enough space for a fish room! I think I'm going to have to knock some walls down and make me a room

Darienreefs7

Lol its fish relatrd. Better than what I got
I gotcha. I want to convert the room that has the station into a full out fishroom. Upstairs is my tank and right next to the wall by the station is my 125. My original plan was to set up a 220 in wall but couldn't go through because of all the chemicals we use in thay room

anarchy

I gotcha. I want to convert the room that has the station into a full out fishroom. Upstairs is my tank and right next to the wall by the station is my 125. My original plan was to set up a 220 in wall but couldn't go through because of all the chemicals we use in thay room
I have to figure out where to put my rodi right now

I've been looking into building a water change station, instead of wheeling brute cans on wheels. Just haven't settled on a design yet.

Darienreefs7

I've been looking into building a water change station, instead of wheeling brute cans on wheels. Just haven't settled on a design yet.
That's the goal of this project. I just need to find an external pump to agitate the salt and fill up my tank without hauling buckets or spilling.

That's the goal of this project. I just need to find an external pump to agitate the salt and fill up my tank without hauling buckets or spilling.
Then I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread and steal your designs for my setup when i finally put something together.

snelly98

New to hobby and don't think I'd stick around long it I didn't do a fish room immediately. Water changes on this 155 would be brutal w buckets

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I have 2x 30g brutes that are connected to each other. The one on the left gets the fresh RODI and I mix salt in the one on the right. The one on the right has an old return pump for easy mixing and a heater that I'll plug in a day or so before wc's. I can open both valves to fill them simultaneously. Sadly, this is not connected to my system so I'm humpin buckets up and down the stairs for wc's. Since I only change 10G per week it isn't a huge deal, though.

The stand is wood but the base is cinder block so it could be broken down and stored fairly easily if I wanted to.

Last edited:

Darienreefs7

I have 2x 30g brutes that are connected to each other. The one on the left gets the fresh RODI and I mix salt in the one on the right. The one on the right has an old return pump for easy mixing and a heater that I'll plug in a day or so before wc's. I can open both valves to fill them simultaneously. Sadly, this is not connected to my system so I'm humpin buckets up and down the stairs for wc's. Since I only change 10G per week it isn't a huge deal, though.

The stand is wood but the base is cinder block so it could be broken down and stored fairly easily if I wanted to.

That looks like a neat idea. the point of this thread was to see how people do thier water change systems so thanks for sharing your set up!

madjoe

Premium member
Yea i really need to work on one of these i have something now but still pia sometimes specially lately think ive gone through 2 boxes of salt in last two months and my tanks aint that big lol

madjoe

Premium member

So that tube on bottom lets u fill both? If u use all your salt water all u have to do is open the valves and the ro side will dump into the salt side then well until a point then the ro unit kicks on am i right ? Then just shut valves and mix in salt

Drdavis

Premium member
We have well water so I have to have an RO DI system with a booster pump to get the pressure high enough for my 100 GPD unit.

View attachment 8001.

We had high iron in the water and have added a permeate filter so the stains in the cartridge housings are from before then. Bleach and other cleaners will not get it out next step will be to try muratic acid.

View attachment 8000

The fresh water is then passed to this container where I have a circulation pump, heater, temp and ph probes.

View attachment 8002

I use these valves to redirect the water. The white hose is so I can get fresh rodi when needed.

View attachment 8003

Oh and I hate lugging buckets and have my DT on an auto water change and will be putting the Seahorses on the same type of setup with the pump on the right.

View attachment 8004

Darienreefs7

We have well water so I have to have an RO DI system with a booster pump to get the pressure high enough for my 100 GPD unit.

View attachment 8001.

We had high iron in the water and have added a permeate filter so the stains in the cartridge housings are from before then. Bleach and other cleaners will not get it out next step will be to try muratic acid.

View attachment 8000

The fresh water is then passed to this container where I have a circulation pump, heater, temp and ph probes.

View attachment 8002

I use these valves to redirect the water. The white hose is so I can get fresh rodi when needed.

View attachment 8003

Oh and I hate lugging buckets and have my DT on an auto water change and will be putting the Seahorses on the same type of setup with the pump on the right.

View attachment 8004
Awesome set up

Joe5688

Hmm maybe I'll post pictures of mine.No buckets required.constantly have 35g of sw and 35g of rodi available at the turn of some valves right info my sump and ato. Even my water changes are bucketless lol. Lots on here and seen it.