What defines large??

soggy pocktets

fastrc...what kind of sharks ya got?

I have a nurse approx. 14" and an 10 "Australian Port Jackson. They are in with 2 small cali rays, large unicorn tang, large vlamingi and a med. size Blonde Naso.

Tank is 8'x3'x16"...I have a pic I will "try" and post.

fastrc

None now. I took tank down and sold the 300 and i sold the 180. Trying to use my time to get clownfish breeding going.

pacmann117

I've always thought that if you had to custom order it due to its size, it's a large tank. I think the largest that you can buy off of a showroom floor is between 240 and 300 gallons. So anything larger than 300 is a "large" tank, IMO

noduh

i have a 400 reef and no matter what size you have you always want bigger. if i could do it again i would buy a bigger one in a heartbeat

Greg

I recently purchased a 96x30x14 rimless tank brand new.
I will only buy shallow tanks and rimless tanks. (only tanks I like. I like the rimless look, ease of access, and ability to put only part of my hand in the tank, and more area for growing sps per cost of tank.)
I dont even have the tank in my house yet (still in build process), and I already am debating whether I should have gotten a bigger tank....
Its only 175g.

Problem is, in order to have any larger of a rimless would be very very expensive, as sheets normally come in 96x48 inch sections. Anything over 96 inches (8 feet), would be custom glass and very expensive.

Also the larger the tank, the thicker the glass needs to be to be rimless. Also exponentially raising the cost.

All this aside, Im still debating whether this tank is big enough lol.

Once I see it though, I think Ill be content........for now.... :D

mlreef

I'm in the process of buffing out my 450 gallon, soon to be ready full reef tank. I would say anything over 300 gallons is large, anything between 90 - 240 is medium and anything under 90 is small and anything under 30 gallons is nano in my opinion.

Anyway if anyone has some lighting ideas please share, I was looking to DIY LED, but I'm not too sure on the light penetration at 36" of depth.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WeePee

I'm in the process of buffing out my 450 gallon, soon to be ready full reef tank. I would say anything over 300 gallons is large, anything between 90 - 240 is medium and anything under 90 is small and anything under 30 gallons is nano in my opinion.

Anyway if anyone has some lighting ideas please share, I was looking to DIY LED, but I'm not too sure on the light penetration at 36" of depth.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I would hope that 60 degree optics on LEDs would have some good penetration.
IMO tho if you want to do a 36" tall tank you should do a mix of MH with LEDs.