What Do You Think Chicago Reefs?

New Fish

While we truly believe that we offer some of the best quality fish and coral at the best prices in Chicago, we know there is always room for improvement. For those of you that have come in and visited the store in the last couple months, or even just seen our photos on this forum, what can we do better for you? We know you have many great options in Chicagoland for your LFS needs, and we would love to be on the top of that list for each and every one of you!

In addition to general constructive feedback we are looking for:

• Ideas of dry goods to stock on a regular basis that we do not currently stock.
  • Ideas of livestock to stock on a regular basis that we do not currently stock
  • Ideas on how to make the store more inviting to all of you
  • Ideas on how to make your buying experience more pleasant
  • Ideas on how you would like a fish/coral trade in program to work

Thank you!

New Fish

Last edited:

labas39

I'm seriuos on this one. Put in a sitting area and sell beer and wine.

That would keep your patrons there longer and give everyone a chance to share stories, ideas, etc.

A TV to watch games wouldn't hurt.

I know it's not cheap for a license but that's my two cents.

If I had the chance, I'd open a store like that. My wife even gave me the green light if and when we can afford such a setup. (She probably just wants me out of the house.)

ninjamyst

Premium member
- having clear pricing will help a lot so we dont have to keep asking the employees
- advertise your QT process since it's one of your competitive advantage

Bommie

Price tags on everything would b nice. Carry ...pvc/ fittings, some low and high end fish/ coral/ inverts, the trade in part is nice maybe store credit. Having at least two huge sales a yr... like all live or items in stock % off.

WhiskeyClown

Being more open to conversation even if your closing in 5 minutes , a smiling face and happy your here attitude ! I have been there and didn't feel welcome on several occasions or that I pestered the Asian guy with my questions . Business runs in customers being content where they spend there money , I like a good Deal but I rather be treated right than be save a few dollars , Old town gets my money nowadays .

Gary

Being more open to conversation even if your closing in 5 minutes , a smiling face and happy your here attitude ! I have been there and didn't feel welcome on several occasions or that I pestered the Asian guy with my questions . Business runs in customers being content where they spend there money , I like a good Deal but I rather be treated right than be save a few dollars , Old town gets my money nowadays .
When I go to local stores, I go to New Fish, but you are correct. The owner, the "Asian" guy you speak of, is not always very friendly.

The other store I go to is Aqua Pros, who does offer the best prices on anything, but he also offers a larger variety. I don't feel that your store has a lot of options. I'm also the guy that will not ask for prices often, so I quickly stop asking even when I'm interested. I'm a big fan of posted prices on everything so that I can sit and ponder internally instead of asking prices.

I agree with stocking some BRS GFO and Carbon / Rock. It's ordered quite often on this forum and having another source is nice, also having a few other high end products sometimes is nice too. You don't need to stop 20 mp10 mp10 and mp60 pumps, but having one or two of each helps people know you have other products instead of some of the "cheaper" end products(Nothing against those brands). Having more options is always nice, some media cans would be awesome too.

We all know it's a small store, and stock is hard place, but you have tons and tons of small tanks, add more variety. I think some of your prices are high, at least for some of the more experienced and seasoned veterans of the industry, who can and will travel more for livestock.

Gary

- having clear pricing will help a lot so we dont have to keep asking the employees
- advertise your QT process since it's one of your competitive advantage
Maybe even allow people to "See" the QT to explain and show them how important it is to not only your system, but theirs too. Show them the work that goes into having quality livestock.

Gary

Ideas of dry goods to stock on a regular basis that we do not currently stock.
Media Reactors, more pumps, and more skimmer. A variety of options is important.
Ideas of livestock to stock on a regular basis that we do not currently stock
Just more options on corals. I normally always see the same zoas, one options of acans, and a few sps. I'd like to see some "Premium" section where maybe you stock some of the ORA Corals, and a few others perhaps. A store is Florida used to cater a small section to more seasoned veterans and would have high end corals and more named stuff for those who like that.
Ideas on how to make the store more inviting to all of you
I doubt it's an option, but a few parking spaces would be great, a vending machine for some sodas would be cool, and a few chairs.
Ideas on how to make your buying experience more pleasant
More options, and posted prices on everything*. Live guarantee of livestock? I know some places do that, but do you? If so how long, and what are the requirements. Do CR members get extra time? That'd be one good way to get CR members more interested in your store instead of others and/or online stores.
Ideas on how you would like a fish/coral trade in program to work
Well, this is interesting, I got a few things I need to get rid of! I need more space! I think the key part here is offering a "fair buy back" price. For example, I get mad when someone sells a person a nudi to eat some algae for 26 dollars but either won't buy it back or will give two bucks for it. One store told me that and I decided I will no longer buy from them.

Sorry for my multiple post.

ninjamyst

Premium member
When I go to local stores, I go to New Fish, but you are correct. The owner, the "Asian" guy you speak of, is not always very friendly.

The other store I go to is Aqua Pros, who does offer the best prices on anything, but he also offers a larger variety. I don't feel that your store has a lot of options. I'm also the guy that will not ask for prices often, so I quickly stop asking even when I'm interested. I'm a big fan of posted prices on everything so that I can sit and ponder internally instead of asking prices.
heh, funny how you mention Aqua Pros and posted prices cuz I will probably buy a lot more from AquaPros if they actually show prices for most of their items. Sometimes I dont bother asking because it gets tiring after the 5th frag.

Gary

heh, funny how you mention Aqua Pros and posted prices cuz I will probably buy a lot more from AquaPros if they actually show prices for most of their items. Sometimes I dont bother asking because it gets tiring after the 5th frag.
Agreed, wish they posted more.

Spartanman22

IMO they are getting a bit better with this lately. I'm sure it's likely due to the launch of their online site. I was in there the other day and alot of it was labeled but they could improve on it. Sometimes it's not up to date (I.E. something was sold)

I personally have a smaller tank (25 gallons) and it is often difficult to find interesting/unique nano fish. Aquapros is probably the best choice at the moment but even they are lacking. Reefwise focuses more on "rare" and large reef fish.

A quality invert supply is also very appealing. Since I have a small system and am limited with fish options I would like to add unique interesting inverts, but it is hard to find anything local other than your typical hermits/snails/cleaner shrimp

MMreef

1. I stop by your store yesterday, walked in, two guys standing behind counter looking bored. No one said hello or anything, walked around looking for corals, no prices at all. After 10 min. finally guy asked if he can help, I pointed out few corals, he gave me prices..., after about 4th or fifth time asking for price, I gave up, felt silly asking so often. Total about 20 min. in your store, walked out without buying anything, even that I saw couple of pieces that I was interested, but decided not to ask anymore.

PRICE !!! Put that price sticker and you will get more sales. I know that LFS go through a lot of turnover in livestock, but even handwritten price will do. Don't tell me there is no time, because you have two guys there standing and doing nothing. I was the ONLY person in store at that time. If writing individual prices takes too long, just group corals according to prices and do racks of like $20,$30,etc. per coral. Easy to do and easy to read for potential customer.

2. Better selection of fish would be nice, you carry only the basic like clowns, chromis, tangs, etc. I did not see any Anthias, bigger angels or dwarf for that matter. I am not asking for some rare, difficult species , but you can do a lot better in that department.

3. Basic dry goods like carbon,GFO,two part would be nice. Think., someone just ran out and can't wait for shipment from online vendor, this is a must have in every LFS IMO.

4. If you put your livestock out for people to see ( not counting your big display tank) , all should be fair game and for sale. I saw two corals that I wanted and was told that those are not for sale! Well put those back in backroom or in display tank and don't tease anybody with it. One thing that aggravates me more then anything is seeing something I really like and not being able to buy it. You're in business of selling coral and fish..., sell it then.

ok, that's it..... just my two cents.

Last edited:

Blue corals

Display prices is so important, I hate asking for prices. There's a LFS that I refuse to visit because of not posting prices and for giving different prices to different people. If you come in with a tie or drive a nice car you are given a higher price. I then called a very good friend who lived 5 mins away and asked to visit the same store and ask for the price of the fish I wanted and was given a price $10 cheaper. TOTAL BS !

New Fish

Thank you very much everyone for the great feedback. Many of these items are actually things we already practice, but there is certainly room for improvement and your suggestions are a great start!

The biggest suggestion seems to relate to posting prices. Would you all prefer corals grouped by price or grouped by coral type?

The reefer

Grouped would b easier for both the buyer and the store. So I say grouped is fine. Also would b nice if u stock up on more of a variety of cuc .

Last edited: