What Do You Think Chicago Reefs?

Gary

I agree, grouping would be easier for you and the store. I think whatever makes it more reliable is best, for both you and us.

New Fish

It looks like we will be switching some things up for the meet. We have also taken some of the other suggestions into account and have begun implementing them already. Stay tuned for an update post this evening or tomorrow. Thank you again for all the suggestions, we are happy to be a part of your community and even happier to tailor our store to your needs!

skunkmere

i like your store alot, posted prices is a must, even with marker on the glass. Maybe also have some small nano tanks setup with prices posted on it too, to inspire people to start a tank or show what the coral would look like in their tank. more frags of expensive corals with a option to buy a bigger colony. I rarely buy things these days but these thing would make it more attractive to buy some stuff.

Ajmal C

Hey, Love the potential for this store. James is abrupt but very informative.

Not sure if its too late but would be nice to have a trade for store credit section.

Also need more dwarf angels and more variety of juvenile large angels(blue face, majestic, koran, annularis, imperator) to sell, the big angel tank is wonderful but still a tease :)

madjoe

Premium member
My biggest issue with the store is parking . Thats why i stay to the burbs anything in chicago is gonna have crappy parking

soonersalt

Don't ignore the comments about your less than attentive staff. They must be addressed as they are a major reflection of you and your store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skunkmere

I always found the staff to be helpful. its a small store they are always within 5 steps away. I even when during closing and the guy let me check out the stuff without any pressure to leave.

mishmaster

I've been in there around 7 times. Your fish, fish food, and bottles of "amino acids" are priced reasonably by what I saw. Coral prices, IDK what they are because it's awkward to keep asking.

1+ on the price tags. Buy a label maker and in 1-2 hours one employee could price the whole store!

I personally don't like to be bothered while shopping around or have employees stand close to me while I look at products.
A simple Smile and "Hello, Welcome to New Fish, feel free to look around and take your time" will suffice for me.

Also, I wanted to mention the small SPS frag tank, that is in between in the main coral tank (the long one) and the giant DT in the back of the show room. The sticks in the small sps frag tank usually don't look as awesome and healthy as the ones in the main DT, how come?

2 cents

Last edited:

New Fish

1+ on the price tags. Buy a label maker and in 1-2 hours one employee could price the whole store!

I personally don't like to be bothered while shopping around or have employees stand close to me while I look at products.
A simple Smile and "Hello, Welcome to New Fish, feel free to look around and take your time" will suffice for me.

Also, I wanted to mention the small SPS frag tank, that is in between in the main coral tank (the long one) and the giant DT in the back of the show room. The sticks in the small sps frag tank usually don't look as awesome and healthy as the ones in the main DT, how come?

2 cents
Unfortunately with the rate of coral and fish turnover it is very difficult to price every piece (which is why it seems to be a common customer complaint that LFS hear). We have begun grouping most pieces by price so more regular pieces will be grouped together by price rather than type. Your statement about being left alone while shopping is also one of the biggest hurdles for retail stores to overcome. As you can see by the previous comments some customers would prefer that we be more attentive rather than just a hello. This is obviously something that we learn on a case by case basis as we get to know our customers. Thank you very much for your comments though, very helpful!

To address some of the other previous comments:

• We have a 7 day guarantee on fish and some inverts.
  • We carry bulk pelletized carbon ($10/2lbs) and plan to bring in GFO and Biopellets. DI resin is also a likely addition.
  • We carry TLF media reactors, a large selection of Pukani dry rock, various media bags, and other dry media.
  • We carry Jebao powerheads and return pump, as well as many other imported pumps and filters.
  • We carry a full line of fish and coral food as well as supplements like amino acids and Microbacter7.
  • We carry a full line of fish medications and Revive coral dip.

I'm sure there are things I am forgetting but hopefully this addresses some of the comments and feedback in this thread. We did carry Reef Octopus skimmers and reactors at one point, but unfortunately they just did not sell well for one reason or another. If there is any equipment in particular you definitely think we should always have on hand please let us know! Thank you again for all the great feedback and suggestions. We would love to continue to hear from you!

Don't ignore the comments about your less than attentive staff. They must be addressed as they are a major reflection of you and your store.
I'm sorry you had a less than excellent experience with our store. I would love an opportunity to address whatever situation arose when you were there. Please send me a PM with more information.

Last edited:

soonersalt

New Fish. My comment was not directed at an experience I had, but only a suggestion as another small business owner in Oklahoma. Your staff can make or break your business as there is no way the owner can be all places. After noticing a duplication of comments about a few of your particular employees seemed to resonate w me. Maybe you can let them see what is being said and how it may be turning away business that in turn pays their salary and yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larcat

This. We added New fish to the very short list of places we are willing to buy fish from after seeing/having the QT explained to us.

Well, that and James has actually brought stuff in when we have asked. New Fish and Best Fish are the two places that have done that for us, fish wise. We don't have particularly expensive taste in fish, but we do like some relatively uncommon stuff.

In New Fish's case, we wanted a *TINY* Squaretail Bristletooh and a *TINY* Potter's. In both cases, we asked James. The tang was very quick. For the Potter's, we got a call like 6 weeks later and he said his supplier finally had a small one. Extremely healthy fish in both cases :)

Maybe even allow people to "See" the QT to explain and show them how important it is to not only your system, but theirs too. Show them the work that goes into having quality livestock.

Last edited: