What is this?!? Saw at Brookfield Zoo

Smitty

Premium member
I thought about adding some to my seahorse tank, but i don't think I keep the tank cold enough, and they might be hard to find also for sale.

Sent from my Note 5

AquaticEngineer

They do alright up to about 65F but that's pushing it, you could likely keep them in a lower temp NPS tank or a seahorse tank with something like hippocampus abdominalis.

Last edited:

Smitty

Premium member
Yeah, that's why i couldn't have them. My pony tank is at 72°. I'd be afraid to go cooler than 70°.

Sent from my Note 5

jrpark22000

Premium member
Agreed, and after a bit of research it isn't that easy to set up a decent size tank and keep it cold enough. Think very thick acrylic and schdle 80 plumbing or you get the sweats.

AquaticEngineer

Surprisingly most frag tanks that are being made these days are usually made with 1/2" or thicker acrylic so that they can be rimless. That's thick enough to do a coldwater system in most modern homes. The tanks can be found for a pretty decent price on ebay even, and would make a spectacular top down viewed coldwater tidepool tank :)

Full disclosure, I'm Stu :) One of the guys who collects for/owns/operates the coldwater livestock site linked above :)

jrpark22000

Premium member
Surprisingly most frag tanks that are being made these days are usually made with 1/2" or thicker acrylic so that they can be rimless. That's thick enough to do a coldwater system in most modern homes. The tanks can be found for a pretty decent price on ebay even, and would make a spectacular top down viewed coldwater tidepool tank :)

Full disclosure, I'm Stu :) One of the guys who collects for/owns/operates the coldwater livestock site linked above :)
Very glad to have you on the site Stu! Glad to have someone with personal experience. From my reading 1" is a good starting point considering the tank is one of the cheaper parts to most reef builds.

AquaticEngineer

Oh yeah, and the species shown in the originally post are called commonly called Strawberry Anemones (Corynactis californicus)

There are some really cool corynactis species found all around the globe in temperate waters, like the ones found in Portugal called Jewel Anemones (Corynactis viridis)

Smitty

Premium member
Not to jump off topic, what would you realistically suggest I could add to my seahorse tank? I have H. Erectus species.

Sent from my Note 5

jrpark22000

Premium member
Oh yeah, and the species shown in the originally post are called commonly called Strawberry Anemones (Corynactis californicus)

There are some really cool corynactis species found all around the globe in temperate waters, like the ones found in Portugal called Jewel Anemones (Corynactis viridis)
This is far too tempting to google. My wife would burry me in the next tank I try and setup to house them :lol:

AquaticEngineer

Nice to meet you Stu, and thanks for the advice.

Sent from my Note 5
Likewise :) I seek out coldwater coversations since that's the only thing I keep these days :)

Very glad to have you on the site Stu! Glad to have someone with personal experience. From my reading 1" is a good starting point considering the tank is one of the cheaper parts to most reef builds.
I've personally done several nano tanks (7.2 gallons) kept at 57F using 1/2" acrylic and they will work fine in most scenarios, however, twice the thickness of acrylic results in twice the thermal barrier for better insulation. My house temp ranges from 62F at night in the winter to about 90F in the summer if the A/C cant keep up with the outside temps. Through out the years that I've kept those tanks running I only once had condensation build up and that was during a summer storm when the humidity was almost as high as the outside temperature here.

For costs on those nano systems, the running cost per month on the entire system was under $6 in electricity. I think the entire setup can be had for under $500. That's tank, stand, light, chiller, and pumps. Larger tank means larger chiller, which ups the price of both, but if you are savvy with your deals and shop around you can do it for as cheap or cheaper than a standard reef tank. Especially considering you don't need any high output lights unless you really want them.

Overall my recommendation for tank thickness has always been to go as thick as you can afford to, you wont regret it. But, 1/2" is as thin as I would ever go :)

AquaticEngineer

Not to jump off topic, what would you realistically suggest I could add to my seahorse tank? I have H. Erectus species.

Sent from my Note 5
If you are keeping it in the low 70's I would look for subtropical species coming out of the Gulf of Mexico, or even the Mediteranean. Occasionally subtropical species pop up from Australia and Japan as well and get sold into the tropical trade.

This is far too tempting to google. My wife would burry me in the next tank I try and setup to house them :lol:
I just had to do a major downsizing myself so I could keep my personal 140 coldwater tank. I bet if you kept it a small tank she'd never notice, at least small enough that she couldn't burry you in it ;) lol

jrpark22000

Premium member
I've personally done several nano tanks (7.2 gallons) kept at 57F using 1/2" acrylic and they will work fine in most scenarios, however, twice the thickness of acrylic results in twice the thermal barrier for better insulation. My house temp ranges from 62F at night in the winter to about 90F in the summer if the A/C cant keep up with the outside temps. Through out the years that I've kept those tanks running I only once had condensation build up and that was during a summer storm when the humidity was almost as high as the outside temperature here.

For costs on those nano systems, the running cost per month on the entire system was under $6 in electricity. I think the entire setup can be had for under $500. That's tank, stand, light, chiller, and pumps. Larger tank means larger chiller, which ups the price of both, but if you are savvy with your deals and shop around you can do it for as cheap or cheaper than a standard reef tank. Especially considering you don't need any high output lights unless you really want them.

Overall my recommendation for tank thickness has always been to go as thick as you can afford to, you wont regret it. But, 1/2" is as thin as I would ever go :)
Sorry [MENTION=1992]Gaashley[/MENTION] for the tangent to your thread. The conversation just seems on topic and interesting.
[MENTION=3460]AquaticEngineer[/MENTION]
In Chicagoland area, we’ll hit close to 100% humidity and large temp swings far too often. It may be more likely to see pipes or tanks sweat, but you may know better.

Totally agree, without the huge light and reactor investment coldwater reefs are easier to start up from my reading. The issue I see is nutrient export. Skimping here looks like a sure way to fail.