What is this?!? Saw at Brookfield Zoo

jrpark22000

Premium member
I just had to do a major downsizing myself so I could keep my personal 140 coldwater tank. I bet if you kept it a small tank she'd never notice, at least small enough that she couldn't burry you in it ;) lol
No way to hide it. A 105g, 45g, 17g all reefs. A 3' dart frog tank, and 2 smaller tree frog tanks. When I have to get back to work and start traveling again, there'd be a serious consideration on her part that a divource would be easier than keeping all my stuff going.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Just moved this thread into a new home in the same forum subsection, a new section for sharing and info on coldwater reefs.

AquaticEngineer

Sorry [MENTION=1992]Gaashley[/MENTION] for the tangent to your thread. The conversation just seems on topic and interesting.
[MENTION=3460]AquaticEngineer[/MENTION]
In Chicagoland area, we’ll hit close to 100% humidity and large temp swings far too often. It may be more likely to see pipes or tanks sweat, but you may know better.

Totally agree, without the huge light and reactor investment coldwater reefs are easier to start up from my reading. The issue I see is nutrient export. Skimping here looks like a sure way to fail.
Most definitely you'd see it in those conditions, I highly recommend having air conditioning or central air if keeping coldwater tanks. Not so much to keep the tank cooled, which the chiller will handle just fine, but more to keep the room that the tank is in at a constant stable temperature. One nice thing you'll notice with a coldwater tank is that you have almost zero evaporation because the water is almost always below the temperature of the air so if physically cant evaporate. So the moisture issues caused in homes with tropical tanks are non existent with a temperate water system.

Basically if you can control one of those two environmental aspects (temp/humidity) of the area the tank will be house in, you can completely eliminate condensation issues.