What salt do you use?

Darienreefs7

I really hate how reef crystals mix and I'm trying to find an alternative. I really like red sea coral pro and want to give it a try. But before I do I want to know what salt everyone else uses and the pros and cons of the salt. Thanks

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I use Reef Crystals. I like it bc it's cheap. Do you dislike the brown residue left after mixing?

Darienreefs7

I use Reef Crystals. I like it bc it's cheap. Do you dislike the brown residue left after mixing?
It doesn't mix clear enough for my liking. And I don't use the salt right after I mix it I wait like a week before my water changes and all the essential elements are depleted.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I use the Red Sea in the blue bucket, NOT the Pro. It's at natural sea water levels which I like. I don't want the spike caused by the elevated alk and Ca in the "Pro". If you're not dosing 2-part, kalk or have a Ca reactor to keep your levels stable then you would want the extra alk & Ca to replace was is taken up, IMO...Also, fwiw, The Tropic Marin Pro is also at NSW levels and I used to use it until I heard that they released a few bad batches that crashed some tanks...never figured out what crashed my last tank but I was using Tropic Marin at the time and the more wc's I did to save the tank...the more things got worse...

Darienreefs7

I use the Red Sea in the blue bucket, NOT the Pro. It's at natural sea water levels which I like. I don't want the spike caused by the elevated alk and Ca in the "Pro". If you're not dosing 2-part, kalk or have a Ca reactor to keep your levels stable then you would want the extra alk & Ca to replace was is taken up, IMO...Also, fwiw, The Tropic Marin Pro is also at NSW levels and I used to use it until I heard that they released a few bad batches that crashed some tanks...never figured out what crashed my last tank but I was using Tropic Marin at the time and the more wc's I did to save the tank...the more things got worse...
So you dose more to make up for the lower levels from the water change water? I change small amounts of water more frequently.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
No, I don't dose more. The point is to avoid ups and downs. I still do wc's every week but i want to use a salt that mixes at 420 Ca and 8 dKh Alk because that is what I keep my tank at. I don't want to use a salt that mixes at 11dKh and then add that to my tank which is at 8.

Darienreefs7

No, I don't dose more. The point is to avoid ups and downs. I still do wc's every week but i want to use a salt that mixes at 420 Ca and 8 dKh Alk because that is what I keep my tank at. I don't want to use a salt that mixes at 11dKh and then add that to my tank which is at 8.
I gotcha

taylor t

I use RC, and try to do a water change 24-48 hours after mixing. I know the residue you're talking about, and the precipitation that falls out if it sits for a week. I don't like it either, but after trying a lot of other brands, it seems to work just as well for me. Seems to mix pretty clear, (besides the clay residue) if it sits mixing for 24 hours.

Darienreefs7

I use RC, and try to do a water change 24-48 hours after mixing. I know the residue you're talking about, and the precipitation that falls out if it sits for a week. I don't like it either, but after trying a lot of other brands, it seems to work just as well for me. Seems to mix pretty clear, (besides the clay residue) if it sits mixing for 24 hours.
I really like how clear RSCP mixes and how fast it does.

Smitty

Premium member
I use reef crystals too, and the only issue I have is the brown residue left behind...but other than that, it's a pretty good salt mix.