White Elephant

vuciouswife

Hi Everyone!

We will be doing a white elephant gift exchange at the holiday party on Jan 10th. I know there are a lot of different ways/rules to play, but in order to make it so that it doesn't last forever, we'll play by the rules listed below.

Considering the group, we can make this a reef-related white elephant. If you're interested in participating, please bring a wrapped gift (suggested minimum of $20 but can be more if you're feeling generous or you just really need to get rid of that return pump). You can bring gift certificates, dry goods or even livestock and the items can either be brand new or something you have around the house that is in good or working condition. If you choose to bring livestock, we would just need to keep it in the cooler so that no one can see what you brought.

• Draw numbers to figure out the order we'll go in.
  • First person selects a gift and opens it so everyone can see.
  • The following people can choose to either open a new gift OR steal a previous person's gift.
  • Anyone who gets their gift stolen can also choose to open a new gift OR steal from someone else.
  • If someone steals a gift from you, you cannot steal it back that same round. You would have to either open a new gift OR steal from someone else. After three steals, the round comes to an end otherwise it could go on forever.
  • Additionally, any gift can only be stolen a max of three times before it's considered a dead gift and the 3rd person to steal it gets to keep it. It can no longer be stolen.
  • After the last person has their turn and all the gifts are open, the first person gets to swap their gift with anyone else's (with the exception of dead gifts) if they want. The person they decide to swap with will be "stuck" with that gift and the game is over.

Please reply to this thread if you're thinking about participating. Just trying to get an idea of how many people are interested... Hopefully we have a good turnout!

Please let me know if you have any questions. Looking forward to seeing you all on the 10th!

jrpark22000

Premium member
Heads up for those who showed interest in the Party thread
[MENTION=158]BradB[/MENTION] [MENTION=2151]Irsug1[/MENTION]

vucious

Come on everyone. I know you have a lot of frags and dry goods laying around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajmal C

I'm in!!

Maybe too shy to steal from someone though... unless I have that 'liquid courage' coursing through the ole-plumbing. Hahhahaha, jlk.

vuciouswife

Mid-week :bump2:

I received a few questions via PM and thought I'd also answer them here in case anyone else was wondering...

1. At the end of the exchange, people won't necessarily know who brought what. Sometimes people end up saying what they brought because they want to but it's not a requirement. So it's up to you if you want to own up to that awesome or funny gift.
2. You can wrap the gift however you'd like. You could use wrapping paper or a gift bag or even use newspaper or a cooler. Sometimes it's fun and funny when someone opens a gift and it's totally unexpected. But again, you can wrap the gift however you'd like.
3. I'll try to have a table or an area designated for the gifts so you could just drop it off there once you arrive.

Please note: Anyone that is participating should drop off their gift by 8pm. I'll remind you guys on Saturday, but please find me or stop back by the table/gifts between 8:00-8:15pm so we can draw numbers to determine the order. I'm hoping that we can start opening the first gift by 8:30pm the latest.

I hope all of you guys telling him to steal will be participating too! :)

Hope this helps!