Who love Pond and Kois?

Fish_wiz2

Just brought the pond back to life after our terrible winter. Water change done, filter back online, fish eating wheat germ foods. Can't wait for summer....

Paulip

Look like you could use a black one.

I don't know if you can house them with Koi. But, Ranchu Goldfish have a nice top view as well. I was thinking of getting those since I can't have a Koi pond. I wonder how long it takes to get to softball size.

BigKev23

Just got my little pond filled up last weekend and will be moving the fish back into it soon. Here's a pic of it last year...

Fish_wiz2

Look like you could use a black one.

I don't know if you can house them with Koi. But, Ranchu Goldfish have a nice top view as well. I was thinking of getting those since I can't have a Koi pond. I wonder how long it takes to get to softball size.
Used to have one, unless he was on the surface, almost impossible to see. Now going for vibrant colors.

I so wish i had a coy pond or any type of pond really lol
Whats stopping you Joe? I see you with these sick tanks here on the forum! A pond is still a tank.......in a sense LOL.

Paulip

Being a cold water species, you can keep them in an un heated garage with no heat, right. Just less feeding from the slower metabolism.

Wildisme

Here is my 3500g goldfish pond. Currently building the new spillway and filter system for this year as the babies we got last year are all currently 4-5" now. Few hundred in there. Pond is roughly 6.5' deep at center.

https://vimeo.com/160621084

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just fired mine up this weekend, bought the house December and the previous owner had turned it off for the winter. He kept about 20 ducks and no fish, we plan to keep fish, turtles and maybe some frogs, and the flyover ducks as they have started to stop by for the food that the previous owner used to put out. I will have to post up some pics later today.

Wildisme

That's awesome Vince. I wish we could get ducks but between the kids playing and the dogs laying out there. They rarely come around. I am building a floating platform that I will attach to a weight to float in the center and will add 2 turtles to the mix.

Last edited:

Fish_wiz2

Being a cold water species, you can keep them in an un heated garage with no heat, right. Just less feeding from the slower metabolism.
Yes but if its going to be in the garage, why not heat it? I would not winter my koi if I didnt have to.

Here is my 3500g goldfish pond. Currently building the new spillway and filter system for this year as the babies we got last year are all currently 4-5" now. Few hundred in there. Pond is roughly 6.5' deep at center.

https://vimeo.com/160621084

This is fantastic, I wish I had your pond, I'd go crazy with my koi and filters for it!

Wildisme

I went the wrong route. Went with a pressure canister style figuring I was filtering for 7 fish, then figured maybe step up to maybe 2 dozen total. Next thing I know last spring I couldn't scoop without pulling 10+ fry out. So now I'm filtering for like 2-300 fish. Needless to say, I will be offering free fish this spring.

Fish_wiz2

I used to keep a few goldish and honestly, you're okay with a pressure filter, they produce nowhere close to what koi do. Still dirty but manageable. But if you're interested, I can show you how to make an affordable filter. Here's mine, bottom drain tied to my skimmer, feed into an external pump to UV then shower then foam fractionator (like a skimmer for reefs). I also have a T for an easy water change circuit, I can drain 3/4 of my pond in 40 minutes.