Who love Pond and Kois?

Wildisme

My new setup will be fairly similar. Actually using exact same tough totes. Never heard of a foam fractionator. Have a photo or better description of how that part is built. Currently I will have in pond pump going to mechanical filter with 5 layers and a total of 3 different density filters. Then UV and then into the spillway. Debating on setting up a K1 bed as well. Gotta watch my height as I am trying to keep under the railing on my deck as that is where the new filter will be housed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
Used to have one, unless he was on the surface, almost impossible to see. Now going for vibrant colors.

Whats stopping you Joe? I see you with these sick tanks here on the forum! A pond is still a tank.......in a sense LOL.
Ive been thinking bout it just got my house last november so other priorities first wont be as big and cool as yours if i do but maybe i will make up for size with a dope azz water fall lol

Widisme, my american bulldog is not real sure about the ducks just yet, so when we have seen the flyovers we try to keep her in the house...

I just asked the former owner for a gallon total...and the pond is bigger then I thought, I thought I was right around the 3500 gal mark, turns out it tips the scales at a little over 5K gallons.

I planned on picking up some goldfish to get going, and see how we do with those guys and I love the idea of making the float for the turtles, might have to do something similair to what you plan to do.

I can't wait to get home and take some good pics of this thing to show you guys.

SaraB

I had a 6400G pond at my last house...really missing having one and pondering building something here at the new house.

Last edited:

maidia

Team CR
I had a 6400G pond at my last house...really missing having one and pondering building something here at the new house.

What the heck.....damm big...I miss my pond too...

OK I am going to close this thread because you guys make me want a pond again....hehehe Infidel...

JK...

:)

Fish_wiz2

My new setup will be fairly similar. Actually using exact same tough totes. Never heard of a foam fractionator. Have a photo or better description of how that part is built. Currently I will have in pond pump going to mechanical filter with 5 layers and a total of 3 different density filters. Then UV and then into the spillway. Debating on setting up a K1 bed as well. Gotta watch my height as I am trying to keep under the railing on my deck as that is where the new filter will be housed.

I'll see if I can dig up pics, the best part is if you run a shower, it runs off the shower, no pumps or anything needed to run it, just some PVC fittings.

Ive been thinking bout it just got my house last november so other priorities first wont be as big and cool as yours if i do but maybe i will make up for size with a dope azz water fall lol
Haha I agree, congrats on the new place! You have years to eventually get a pond, family under a roof first.

I wish I could have a backyard like yours in the city without paying millions of dollars :)

What the heck.....damm big...I miss my pond too...

OK I am going to close this thread because you guys make me want a pond again....hehehe Infidel...

JK...

:)
It's time Mai, its calling for you.....

Last edited:

Wildisme

That looks really nice. We don't have a yard anywhere near big enough for something like this. Looks peaceful to sit out on a nice night.

Wildisme

So in regards to the fractionator. Could you actually run a large skimmer in a pond filter setup? Would it work the same way? i actually have a skimmer that was rated to run around a 300g reef tank. Figure water flow in volume in the filter is about half of that in a salt tank. Just an idea lol

Just

Fish_wiz2

So in regards to the fractionator. Could you actually run a large skimmer in a pond filter setup? Would it work the same way? i actually have a skimmer that was rated to run around a 300g reef tank. Figure water flow in volume in the filter is about half of that in a salt tank. Just an idea lol

Just

Yes you can, I know someone on koiphen that ran an RK2 (which is usually used at warehouses for fish) for his huge pond. It's not as efficient as a fractionactor but the concept is still there. Also you could try it but it probably won't work, it takes a lot of air and flow to actually get something in a freshwater setup. I forgot what it is in saltwater that makes protein skimmers so efficient.

Even my fractionator doesn't work all the time, usually only during peak feeding season.

Wildisme

I'll do a little research on the fractionator. I have a huge air pump I could use. Needless to say, having a pond 2.5' above ground. The ice get pretty thick if I don't run a huge pump.

I ran a 1500watt heater for a horse trough of it froze solid in the ice. The pump I have literally make the ice freeze in a big mound and keep a little like 3" hole open. Looks like a volcano.

Fish_wiz2

2.5' off the ground is a bold move. Mine is maybe a few inches below ground level and I still have problems with ice. I do cut off all my pumps though, otherwise I get ice diverting flow out of my pond. Used to use a 1200watt de-icer which worked great but destroyed my electric bill, now just air pumps and a small 100 watt de-icer is enough to keep oxygen moving no need to eliminate all the ice.

Wildisme

My brother has 2 girls, I have a son, between my 2 neighbors there's another 5 girls and another boy. All under 5. This is all in the front of the house and we are the only house with an iron fence out front. So they all play on our yard and we don't have to worry about them running in the street or kicking the balls out there. But, that meant putting a rail on the front patio and raising the pond up so they can't fall in. All the kids know their not allowed past the pond, and no climbing. If they want to see the fish they have to go on the patio and look through the railings.

Plus since I have a fence, and the pond is built up, the city has no regulation on it and no permits needed. I can do anything I want with it.

Wildisme

I pull my filter, pump, and empty and cover the spillway basin. Right now I just pulled the spillway basin all together, filled the whole area with dirt, and just having the filter empty out onto the spillway directly. Went this morning to pick up 2 pieces of slate to add to the spillway. And apparently slate prices jumped because I paid .19/lb 2 years ago when I got the original piece. I was getting 2 pieces and they said it was .46/lb. walked out for that price and looking around. Need 24x20 piece and 20x18 piece. Hopefully I can find something much cheaper.

Fish_wiz2

My brother has 2 girls, I have a son, between my 2 neighbors there's another 5 girls and another boy. All under 5. This is all in the front of the house and we are the only house with an iron fence out front. So they all play on our yard and we don't have to worry about them running in the street or kicking the balls out there. But, that meant putting a rail on the front patio and raising the pond up so they can't fall in. All the kids know their not allowed past the pond, and no climbing. If they want to see the fish they have to go on the patio and look through the railings.

Plus since I have a fence, and the pond is built up, the city has no regulation on it and no permits needed. I can do anything I want with it.

This I understand, no kids myself as I am the kid of the house. But my pond is surrounded by fences and entrance to my property is restricted, nice thing about the city, small properties which are easy to fence.

I pull my filter, pump, and empty and cover the spillway basin. Right now I just pulled the spillway basin all together, filled the whole area with dirt, and just having the filter empty out onto the spillway directly. Went this morning to pick up 2 pieces of slate to add to the spillway. And apparently slate prices jumped because I paid .19/lb 2 years ago when I got the original piece. I was getting 2 pieces and they said it was .46/lb. walked out for that price and looking around. Need 24x20 piece and 20x18 piece. Hopefully I can find something much cheaper.

Where do you go? Got all my rocks at Schwake Stone Brick & Fireplace in Mundelein, prices are fair and since you haul yourself, I don't worry about delivery or surcharge fees.

Last edited:

Wildisme

I went to Illinois landscape supply. They are 10 min from my house.