why are in sump skimmers a PIA to keep " balanced "

BruceK

Premium member
I'm 21 days into my RedSea 750 operating
LOTS of evaporation
my in sump Reef Octopus Elite 200 SSS is a pain in the #$% have to adjust it daily to keep it at the right level
is this mostly because skimmer has only been running a week now ?
or because my tank is not cycled yet ?

Bruce

Last edited:

ninjamyst

Premium member
some skimmers take a while to break in. give it another week or so. how many inches of water is it in?

Volcano1

I had the same issues. If the sump level fluctuated at all , I could never get them to run constant. Hopefully if your sump level stays the same, things will break in and be good. Good luck.

ninjamyst

Premium member
Skimmer is in about 9" of water which is OK based on manufacture specs
i had to raise mine just slightly to 8.5" for it to stop overflowing in the beginning even though mine says 9" is fine. I just put it on top of eggcrate.

ssky

Did you run your skimmer in vinegar? If not then it will take atleast a couple of weeks to break in. Be patient.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
You need some crap in the water to make it work right. Without organics, you won’t get that thick foam that kinda stabilized things. New skimmers take a while in my experience. Be patient and you’ll wake up to a thick foam one day.

Also, is your skimmer in a sump compartment that stays at the same level? Your ATO doesn’t dispense into the same chamber, does it?

dvanlier05

Skimmers water level needs to stay consistent. If it is dropping from evaporation, the bubble height will do the same.