With Spring and eventually summer comming - Temp Swings lets talk about them

tinman

As the title says, i know most of us maintain the temp of our reef tanks pretty spot on using controllers and chillers and what not ..

but what kinda temp swing do you think is ok ?

So,
1. What Temp your tank set at ?
2. is there any swing at all ?
3. if yes do you worry about it ? or do something about it ?

mine,

1. im set at 79F and has been pretty stable all thru winter,
2. but with it getting hotter on the outside and my apartment being all closed ( have to keep the windows closed cause of the kid) my temp is soaring all the way to 82.5 ..... so a swing of 79- 82.5 or so ...
3. its been that way for about a month ?? im starting to think if it does any damage to live stock .. but everything seem not to mind so far .. hmmmm

Paulip

I believe stable temps are one of the key parameters for a healthy and thriving tank. However, 82 is acceptable for a mixed reef, imo. I read some research that 82 degrees is where corals grow the fastest. For reasons of stability, we run our tanks at lower temps. Your total range of 3 degrees is also ok, However, what will the summer bring? That is unique to your apartment.

I have a Nano that swings from 77-84 degrees in the Winter. Totally unacceptable. It goes to 82 without lights. The 77 degree low is only achieved by using a fan. I think it is because of the MJ900 pump. Led lights seems to be inappropriately identified as the culprit.

Either I get a chiller or have to rig an unusual air pump driven return. Perhaps, an authentic Cobalt MJ900 would help.

mine gets up to 82 in the summer with the AC on...i think that's perfectly fine however i did just purchase a new Jebao DCT-15000 pump which is a monster and looks like it probably generates a lot of heat so i don't know how this summer will be like...i already have the air blasting right now just to maintain 79, if i leave the air off it jumps to 81...i just don't want to have to buy a chiller - it's one more thing that can break and one more thing to maintain

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I do 78.8. I set my 500 watt at that temp and have another 300 watt that I set at 78.2 just for backup. Both are controlled with reef keeper. Tank is in my basement so it stays the same temp in summer.

#theMatrix

Ive always said even with heating a tank...if you set a heater or anything. With head height and travel distance the water will cool a bit.. [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] is this not the case?

We run sterlcos at my workplace we set the temp to 180 to 220 degrees and by the time it reaches the thermometer where the heat needs to be it sometimes 10 degrees cooler. So we offset distance travel by having a higher set point to what ideal temp is supposed to be.

This isnt the case with basement sumps?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Ive always said even with heating a tank...if you set a heater or anything. With head height and travel distance the water will cool a bit.. [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] is this not the case?

We run sterlcos at my workplace we set the temp to 180 to 220 degrees and by the time it reaches the thermometer where the heat needs to be it sometimes 10 degrees cooler. So we offset distance travel by having a higher set point to what ideal temp is supposed to be.

Quite possibly, but with the acceptable range of 75-82 or so, I don't overthink it. Plus my sump is right below my tank (in the stand).

#theMatrix

Ohhhhh thought it was a basement sump.
Ive cheated and calibrated a probe to match the temp to the sump temp.... to have an error account of the degree offset.

Still have thermometers around the system though

ultimatemj

For basement sumps, there will be some delta, but it really depends on your plumbing length, material used, and temp delta. Plus, where you put the temp sensor that triggers your heaters (in DT or in sump).

My basement is ~70degrees this time of year and my house is 65 when we are gone and 75 when we are home. Tank runs steady 77.5 to 78.
View attachment 16034
Only time my graph looks different is when above 95 outside(AC doesn't keep up and inside can reach 80), or below 10 outside (basement gets down to low 60s and both heaters will run), and the graph changes to longer/slower rise and fall times..but typically still remains 77.5 to 78.

Joe5688

You're not just heating the water flowing out of the sump, ur heating the water returning into the sump also. So the water stays pretty constant. No matter what outside or inside temp is, my tank stays between 78.5 & 79.5 which are my parameters for my apex. I have IIRC 5-600 watts of heater plugged into one port on my apex. So they both turn on at same time full blast to get the temp right back up when needed.

anarchy

Now that my heaters are working properly again the highest my tank gets in the winter is 78.3 and at night lowest it drops is 77.8. We will see what the summer brings since our windows are open alot unless its too too hot

Before i had problems with my heaters temp stayed between 78-78.3 day and night

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Since were talking about temperature monitoring. I work for a company that makes temperature monitoring systems for pharmaceuticals warehouse hospitals and so on. we have a data logger that is a cloud-based logger and it will email you, text you, call you if the temperature goes below or under your set alarms.

anyone interested in running one of these on their tank. You'll pretty much be my beta tester. here's a link to one of the devices and also a link to the main site where you would check the loggers. Units work either off Wi-Fi or ethernet and I'll provide you with a login and you can log into the system and look at your logger and set up alarms and emails and whatever you want to do.
The device has definitely save me a couple times by texting and calling me in the middle of the night

Www.dicksonone.com
the site where you would be checking your logger.

http://www.dicksondata.com/products/DWE

This is the actual logger

#theMatrix

Since were talking about temperature monitoring. I work for a company that makes temperature monitoring systems for pharmaceuticals warehouse hospitals and so on. we have a data logger that is a cloud-based logger and it will email you, text you, call you if the temperature goes below or under your set alarms.

anyone interested in running one of these on their tank. You'll pretty much be my beta tester. here's a link to one of the devices and also a link to the main site where you would check the loggers. Units work either off Wi-Fi or ethernet and I'll provide you with a login and you can log into the system and look at your logger and set up alarms and emails and whatever you want to do.
The device has definitely save me a couple times by texting and calling me in the middle of the night

Www.dicksonone.com
the site where you would be checking your logger.

http://www.dicksondata.com/products/DWE

This is the actual logger
Sounds neat. But at 400 for a humidity/temp logger notifier....

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Hah. you guys wouldn't have to pay for anything I will give you the product for free so you can just run it.
Yeah I know it's very pricey but this is A2LA Certified device. This is meant for labs or pharmaceuticals or storage and vaccines. These labs get audited by the FDA if they don't have it they will get shut down so they won't don't really have a choice. They can no longer just write down temperatures. couple years ago bunch of people got sick from bad vaccines.

#theMatrix

Beta.
Would we need to provide results to anybody or send report out.
Where do we pick this devices :D

Oh. Instructions easy to set up?
Wait...this device isnt waterproof. Cant tie it to the tank :(

Last edited: