Wiz's Koi Pond

fishtank44

Those r beautiful coy u have my pond is tiny but took all the fish out already also they in the house in a 75 gallon i swear i didnt have this many before lol
Koi growth very fast buddy I feeds it like 5 to 6 times a day during summer's 2 times a day by Spring and Fall with special pellets during cold water.

Fish_wiz2

You are worked hard do you bring all fishs to inside during winter times?
I am never ever clean up bottom pond in my old pond in 12years well because I keep water Lily bucket set and stayed in bottom pond
Lily root came out of bucket and went over and cover bottom pond , I though some fresh water mussels and snail in to help clean up my pond and water I am missing my pond lol.
You got alot of beautiful Kois and colors so bright good job my friend.
Thanks buddy! Nope, just have to clean the pond before winter, I put all the water and fish back. Also, my fish destroy lily so I can't have any.... and having a bare bottom makes cleaning super easy.

Those r beautiful coy u have my pond is tiny but took all the fish out already also they in the house in a 75 gallon i swear i didnt have this many before lol
Haha, you'll get there some day Joe. I want to make mine bigger lol

Koi growth very fast buddy I feeds it like 5 to 6 times a day during summer's 2 times a day by Spring and Fall with special pellets during cold water.
Yes, I feed a LOT. My babies are fatties.

Fish_wiz2

What great weather we had today, had to reboot the pond for spring/summer. Here's a few pics I snapped, sorry for the goofy labels, I snagged them off my snapchat.

Fish_wiz2

Looks like all my links are dead from the migration, I'll have to work on it slowly lol

For now, Summer 2019 brings a new pond. Just finished the remodel I started in the spring just in time for summer.

#theMatrix

My plan was to dig a big ass hole. Fit a pond tub and diy a waterfall. Try and do a natural filter box /lava rock. And see what happens.

Fish_wiz2

My plan was to dig a big ass hole. Fit a pond tub and diy a waterfall. Try and do a natural filter box /lava rock. And see what happens.
Unless I’m thinking the same and you want a fiberglass pool not those plastic ponds you can get at say Home Depot or Menards, then this is a good start. But most if not all those plastic tubs are too small for a pond that will make it over winter. Pond needs to be at least 32” deep to prevent it from freezing over solid, plus to house koi unless you only want goldfish.

My advice for this route is to somehow integrate a bottom drain and easy way to drain water. Like reefs, waterchanges are your friend. Otherwise it will be nightmare to clean.

Fish_wiz2

Seems the best method is deep AF hole. And use a pond liner held in place by stones and rock work ?
Partially true. Deep, wide, and long is good. EPDM 45mil pond liner is good. But does not need to be held in place by rocks, can be anything structurally sound and does not rot, rock should be decorative but not touch the water, its a haven for detritus, algae, and bad bacteria growth.

Fish_wiz2

@Fish_wiz2 is the foam board for retaining the wall/dirt?
Did you use conduit to hold inplace? Then liner over and out?
Basically, wasn’t the best way to do it but it was quick and easy. If I was do it right I would have did a rectangle with concrete block filled with concrete and rebar.

#theMatrix

Basically, wasn’t the best way to do it but it was quick and easy. If I was do it right I would have did a rectangle with concrete block filled with concrete and rebar.
Gotcha. Seems simple and as you said. Quick and easy. I may use this idea and double it with 2x4 cross frame and a foam board on both sides. If I'm going for a 4ft deep. 3ft wide and 7ft long pond. What size do you think I should look for liner wise

Fish_wiz2

Gotcha. Seems simple and as you said. Quick and easy. I may use this idea and double it with 2x4 cross frame and a foam board on both sides. If I'm going for a 4ft deep. 3ft wide and 7ft long pond. What size do you think I should look for liner wise
Top of my head I don’t know, there are calculators out there if you google it. Always account for extra. But that size is about the same size of my first pond and a 25x25ft liner was wayyy more than enough.