Would you worry about these?

thanks fellas...i've ordered the flatworm exit and have read numerous articles about how you're supposed to siphon out as much as possible so that when they do die the toxins released aren't as bad...however, my "infestation" isn't anywhere near that bad...yet...i see maybe 1 or 2 on a plug then none on the next couple ones...problem is i know this can get out of hand quickly if left unchecked especially with all the feeding i'm doing in the frag tank while i'm trying to heal up some corals

i'm also going to stop by Old Town Aquarium since they have a small sixline available and i've read they don't tend to jump as much as other wrasses...i'd so much rather go the natural route than chemical so i'm going to give him a shot and basically hope he doesn't jump...if it works great, i'll just return the FE to Amazon

carpetreef75

Premium member
thanks fellas...i've ordered the flatworm exit and have read numerous articles about how you're supposed to siphon out as much as possible so that when they do die the toxins released aren't as bad...however, my "infestation" isn't anywhere near that bad...yet...i see maybe 1 or 2 on a plug then none on the next couple ones...problem is i know this can get out of hand quickly if left unchecked especially with all the feeding i'm doing in the frag tank while i'm trying to heal up some corals

i'm also going to stop by Old Town Aquarium since they have a small sixline available and i've read they don't tend to jump as much as other wrasses...i'd so much rather go the natural route than chemical so i'm going to give him a shot and basically hope he doesn't jump...if it works great, i'll just return the FE to Amazon
Good luck Bro ,hope the wrasses does it
Bryan

I used 6 lines all over my last system for pest control. 6 lines, yellow and green Coris wrasses worked great, but out of the 3, the 6 line was the one I would never put in a display tank again. I had 4, 3 in the frag tanks, one in the display. The one in the DT became a major jerk and I never actually saw him ever look at the corals which unfortunately was what he was purchased for.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
i think i have these now in my frag tank...they are tiny, rust colored with forked tails and are very noticeable because i use very white frag plugs for all my frags so they appear black under aquarium lighting...but once i get them under regular lighting they are dark brown...i just started noticing them last night and this morning...there aren't too many yet but i'd obviously like to treat them before they get out of hand, unless, as stated above they control their population based on available food and i have been feeding the frag tank a lot lately because i'm trying to heal up a scoly and a goniopora frag

i may have to go the flatworm exit route since it is just a small, uncovered 10g frag tank and any wrasse will just jump out.. [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] did you ever get rid of these things? you ever use the flatworm exit you bought and if so, any tips? i hear planaria release toxins when killed
I wouldn't worry about these at all. I see one in my sump every now and then, but the population never grows. I've seen a couple in my DT, but very few and very rarely. They seem photosynthetic because they seem attracted to light.

I wouldn't do FWE or any other treatment. The population growth isn't a problem and they don't bother corals.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
i think i have these now in my frag tank...they are tiny, rust colored with forked tails and are very noticeable because i use very white frag plugs for all my frags so they appear black under aquarium lighting...but once i get them under regular lighting they are dark brown...i just started noticing them last night and this morning...there aren't too many yet but i'd obviously like to treat them before they get out of hand, unless, as stated above they control their population based on available food and i have been feeding the frag tank a lot lately because i'm trying to heal up a scoly and a goniopora frag

i may have to go the flatworm exit route since it is just a small, uncovered 10g frag tank and any wrasse will just jump out.. [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] did you ever get rid of these things? you ever use the flatworm exit you bought and if so, any tips? i hear planaria release toxins when killed
I wouldn't worry about these at all. I see one in my sump every now and then, but the population never grows. I've seen a couple in my DT, but very few and very rarely. They seem photosynthetic because they seem attracted to light.

I wouldn't do FWE or any other treatment. The population growth isn't a problem and they don't bother corals. In my opinion, they are neither bad or good.

Sawdonkey

Premium member

I wouldn't worry about these. When people talk about siphoning out the flat worms before using FWE, they are typically talking about red planaria, which get out of control quickly. These acole flatworms you have won't likely ever get to a point of being unsightly, damaging anything in your tank, or fouling your tank if you did decide to run FWE.

anarchy

I wouldn't worry about these. When people talk about siphoning out the flat worms before using FWE, they are typically talking about red planaria, which get out of control quickly. These acole flatworms you have won't likely ever get to a point of being unsightly, damaging anything in your tank, or fouling your tank if you did decide to run FWE.
You mean mandarin food? couldnt resist

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I wouldn't do FWE or any other treatment. The population growth isn't a problem and they don't bother corals. In my opinion, they are neither bad or good.
I did notice that I saw very few after lights out and looking in the tank now while lights are ramping up I'm seeing more of them so maybe you're right and they are somewhat photosynthetic. I'm just alarmed by how many I'm seeing so I did get the sixline wrasse anyway. The only way these things can get in my system is from snails or hermits. All new frags are cut from their plugs and dipped.

Only difference I'm noticing between mine and yours is I don't see a 3 pronged tail. Mines just forked. So maybe I do have red planaria - they appear red under aquarium lights and brown in pictures.

But yea I'm not freaking out too much. Planaria aren't too difficult to treat and population right now isn't too bad. I want the wrasse to eat as much as he can before I go a FE treatment. I don't see any in the sump nor the DT but I want to make sure I get them all anyway so I think I will use the FE if these are truly planaria.

Ps - maybe I should get a mandarin too? At least the mandarin can join the general population in the DT once his job is done in the FT. The sixline I'll never put in the DT.

Found the ID for you, in case none have mentioned: Aceol (brown) flatworms

http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker.shtml
yup that's them, thanks.. [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] did mention that's what they were before i posted pics and this is a good confirmation...so sounds like they are pretty harmless, i guess i can just watch them for now and hope the sixline eats them...i was also looking for a small mandarin but couldn't find any locally and not about to order one online (which is probably a good thing because i hate seeing mandarins at LFS's starving to death only to get sold to a customer that has no idea how to take care of one...i bet they have a 10% survival rate in home aquaria)

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
yup that's them, thanks.. [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] did mention that's what they were before i posted pics and this is a good confirmation...so sounds like they are pretty harmless, i guess i can just watch them for now and hope the sixline eats them...i was also looking for a small mandarin but couldn't find any locally and not about to order one online (which is probably a good thing because i hate seeing mandarins at LFS's starving to death only to get sold to a customer that has no idea how to take care of one...i bet they have a 10% survival rate in home aquaria)
My mandarin never touches flatworms. I hear target dragonets are much more likely to. I think my sixline does because he is plump but I never see it!