Your thoughts on Kalkwasser & 2 Part

I've been using seachems fusion 2part for quite some time now and have been looking for methods of auto dosing such as dosing pumps. I came across some info on Kalkwasser and dosing it through the ATO.
How many of you use Kalkwasser over 2 part or vise Versa and why? My system is roughly about 65-70 gallons total volume and not sure if dosing kalk through my ato would be beneficial and cost effective for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anarchy

Ive been using kalk in ato along with my cal reactor for the past couple days and its been keeping my parameters perfect. Obviously most people dont do this but im waiting on a couple parts to get my cal reactor working properly. Once i get them then i wont be using kalk anymore but since ive been using it its been great

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Sawdonkey

Premium member
[MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I have used it for years. I use it because it is almost free, easy, and is a balanced additive (proper ratio of alk and cal). I have a lot of SPS, and it keeps up fine so far.

The only downside of doing it through your ATO is that the amount that enters your system varies depending on evaporation. You have to get pretty good with mixing it up to the proper strength given the amount of evaporation. In measure alk each time I refill my ATO (25 gal) and adjust my mixture by a spoon or two depending on my where my alk was on the previous test and where it's at now.

Fish_wiz2

I used both back when I was in the game. I find that they work in conjunction with each other, not really independently. Kalk is great because its balanced and cheap but it is more of a maintainer and not really for boosting levels as it saturates rather quickly. That's where the 2 part comes in. That stuff will boost your levels quick. Once your levels are in check, kalk in top off takes over to keep it close to what you set it at. Obviously the amount corals use and water changes will affect this but I was able to keep my calcium around 380-400ppm with kalk easily.

Do not forget about magnesium though, easily overlooked with the convenience of kalk but it plays a big role in maintaining your cal and alk.

Volcano1

It works well at keep a balanced cal / alk supplement. I use it with a dosing pump to match evaporation.I wouldn't recommend a straight ato with a float switch. either use a dosing pump, kalk reactor, driper etc.I've used it that way for years and it's worked well. I just have to adjust my dosing ratio of kalkwasser to ro=-di to match evappration. I drip both separately .Depending on the dosing pump ,some can be louder than others. I use a reefiller, and their noise varies from unit to unit.It also helps keep your ph up, and the kalkwasser is said to help reduce phosphate via removal through the skimmer. I'v never found it to do much with p04 lowering though. I think the larger the alk demand, the harder it is to use two part.I use 4-5 gallons of kalkwasser a day.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I really don't have a problem using kalk to make adjustments. I don't even own two part. If my alk is low, I just whip up a stronger batch of kalk water. After a week, alk is higher. I don't pay too much attention to calcium and only test about once a month or even less. I do dose mag in a very unmeasured way.......just dump some in from time to time.

1jwampler

Only downside to Kalk is it really needs to go in over the whole day, ATO is best it's very high pH will do lots of damage added in a large enough quantity to impact calcium if not added over the day. By using ATO and a reactor you can keep your pH in the 8s very easy and if you have significant evaporation you will have to limit the Kalk in your ATO to keep pH under 8.4. I'm not aware of any two part that consistently keeps dkh above 7 and pH above 8 without much vigilance and or buffer.

The above said magnesium is not as big of a concern as many speculate. When I started Kalk I bought a big mag supplement and test kit. My mag is always above 1300 and I have only added mag supplement 2 times in 6 mos.

So well managed Kalk is cheap effective and makes your tank stable. If you just want to add once in a while Kalk is not your best option.

Here's the thing... My mag is pretty consistent always above 1300, and my PH ranges from 7.9 to 8.15 but I haven't seen it go above that (using apex ph probe) as of late my corals have been taking in more alk, not much from what others have posted about. In about a day they consume about 1dkh. My water evaporates at about half to 3/4 gallons per day... If I want to try out kalk out, how would I go about calculating the amount to mix into my RODI water? My reservoir is a 2.5 gallon container that you can find at any grocery store. I usually have to fill it up about every 3 days

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Here's the thing... My mag is pretty consistent always above 1300, and my PH ranges from 7.9 to 8.15 but I haven't seen it go above that (using apex ph probe) as of late my corals have been taking in more alk, not much from what others have posted about. In about a day they consume about 1dkh. My water evaporates at about half to 3/4 gallons per day... If I want to try out kalk out, how would I go about calculating the amount to mix into my RODI water? My reservoir is a 2.5 gallon container that you can find at any grocery store. I usually have to fill it up about every 3 days

Full saturation is two teaspoons per gallon unless you add vinegar and supersaturate. I'm not sure what your alk use is, but maybe start with 1 teaspoon per gallon and see how it impacts your alk. Test before you use and after a few days. See what direction it's moving, and adjust the next time you mix it up. It takes a little trial and error.

I mix 6-8 TABLEspoons into 25 gal of ATO water. It just depends on the time of year. Right now, my tank is evaporating a lot, so I'm on the lower end. I only make adjustments when my ATO runs dry (about once per week).

I do have a hard time keeping my mag up. It is usually close to 1200. I dump in a ton of supplement, but it takes a lot to move the needle. I just make sure it doesn't get dangerously low.

I have a ton of SPS and I'm still not even close to full saturation. I dread the day I have to buy a calcium reactor.

Full saturation is two teaspoons per gallon unless you add vinegar and supersaturate. I'm not sure what your alk use is, but maybe start with 1 teaspoon per gallon and see how it impacts your alk. Test before you use and after a few days. See what direction it's moving, and adjust the next time you mix it up. It takes a little trial and error.

I mix 6-8 TABLEspoons into 25 gal of ATO water. It just depends on the time of year. Right now, my tank is evaporating a lot, so I'm on the lower end. I only make adjustments when my ATO runs dry (about once per week).

I do have a hard time keeping my mag up. It is usually close to 1200. I dump in a ton of supplement, but it takes a lot to move the needle. I just make sure it doesn't get dangerously low.

I have a ton of SPS and I'm still not even close to full saturation. I dread the day I have to buy a calcium reactor.
Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to give it a shot and try it. I'll just make sure to test it daily and see where it's at. Hopefully it'll work for me

ultimatemj

Your thoughts on Kalkwasser & 2 Part

If your ATO is connected to your APEX, add code to avoid overdosing.
This is the code I'm using:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw4 CLOSED Then ON
If FeedA 005 Then OFF
If pH > 8.40 Then OFF

The SW is the breakout box to the sump level switch. Note: closed or open depends on your switch type and mounting.

The Feed delay is used for water changes

The PH line is to keep too much kalk to fast.

What I've seen is this turns my ATO into a drip during the day...

Mjl714

Have any of you seen the kalk being supplied via ato, turn the display tank slightly cloudy? I'm not near the 2 tsp per gallon saturation level.

1jwampler

Have any of you seen the kalk being supplied via ato, turn the display tank slightly cloudy? I'm not near the 2 tsp per gallon saturation level.
Only if the Kalk has not settled, it will be very clear at the top of the container, but, still saturated.

I guess mine is kind of a hybrid. My Apex controls a peristaltic pump that doses from my Kalk reactor, but also have a Aqualifter that tops off 10 times a day right after the the Peri pump goes off. I only want a set amount of Kalk added, which is why the peristaltic pump is used, but the float switches dictate how much water is actually added.

Last edited:

labas39

I too use both kalkwasser and a calcium reactor. The kalkwasser is in a Geo reactor and it is dosed when the pH drops below 8.10 and turns off when it hits 8.15. It doesn't dose during the day when the lights are on since my pH goes to around 8.25 but at that time, the calcium reactor takes over.

1jwampler

How long does this settling generally take, an hour, couple hours or overnight?
It depends on how much you mix and the container. It's important not to mix it too much since Kalk reacts with the air. So one gallon RODI/2 tblsp Kalk 10 second stir I would let sit 4-8 hours before adding. Covered overnight would be best and only add from the top of the container pouring can be tricky, a cup off the top may be better and a drip with an air hose would be best.