Your thoughts on Kalkwasser & 2 Part

Mjl714

It depends on how much you mix and the container. It's important not to mix it too much since Kalk reacts with the air. So one gallon RODI/2 tblsp Kalk 10 second stir I would let sit 4-8 hours before adding. Covered overnight would be best and only add from the top of the container pouring can be tricky, a cup off the top may be better and a drip with an air hose would be best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'm using a 10g ato topoff tank. I was mixing a gallon at a time with 2 tsps of kalk, and letting it sit for an hour or two, before adding to ato tank. Then I'd let ato tank sit for a couple of hours, which doesn't appear to be long enough before turning on.

1jwampler

Thanks, I'm using a 10g ato topoff tank. I was mixing a gallon at a time with 2 tsps of kalk, and letting it sit for an hour or two, before adding to ato tank. Then I'd let ato tank sit for a couple of hours, which doesn't appear to be long enough before turning on.
Two hours would likely remove most of the precipitation, but, it would be best to just have clear limewater after 8 or more hours. If this is ATO is your pump or line a few inches off the bottom?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sparky312

If you haven't seen this BRS video definitely check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSsdxuWY0T8

In 11 minutes they cover pretty much everything there is to know about using it. I add it with my ATO in a 5 gallon bucket and I love how simple it is -- and awesome at maintaining calcium and alkalinity. Its also practically free as has already been mentioned -- a gallon of calcium hydroxide is $13 and will last you for years.

The only thing they don't mention in the video, and the only downside I myself have seen, is that unlike your other options for keeping calcium and alkalinity (2 part and calcium reactor), kalkwasser has no magnesium -- so you will need to address that. I use epsom salts because I love it cheap and easy :)

I got some BRS kalk yesterday, made some water and stirred in the kalk. I was pretty late when it settled so when I get home later I'll hook it up to my ato.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1jwampler

If you haven't seen this BRS video definitely check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSsdxuWY0T8

In 11 minutes they cover pretty much everything there is to know about using it. I add it with my ATO in a 5 gallon bucket and I love how simple it is -- and awesome at maintaining calcium and alkalinity. Its also practically free as has already been mentioned -- a gallon of calcium hydroxide is $13 and will last you for years.

The only thing they don't mention in the video, and the only downside I myself have seen, is that unlike your other options for keeping calcium and alkalinity (2 part and calcium reactor), kalkwasser has no magnesium -- so you will need to address that. I use epsom salts because I love it cheap and easy :)
Sparky,

Good point on BRS video, great for 1st time Kalk user.

This is an interesting article (ok a little deep) on Magnesium and Strontium content in/of limewater (kalkwasser), the supplements are not zero in kalkwasser and even a Calcium reactor effluent is equally depleted of Mag and Str with significantly more complexity and work than Kalk. I'm amazed at how little Mag I have to add to my tank considering I use about 3 cups of Kalk each month. When I test Mag and see it below 1350, I add one dose of aquavitro ions and my test kit maxes out at 1500, this lasts almost a month. I also add Str supplement, but, don't test, I really should test one day. But I figure if I have to add Mag it's time to add Str.

The above said, here is the link to Farleys article/science of Limewater http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/12/chemistry.