zoanthid eating nudi branch

taylor t

Dumb question: Do they only eat zoa's or paly's, and can they kill all of them? If introduced to a tank, will they eat other corals, or limit only to the polyp type corals and will the nudi's die when they (zoa's) are gone? Anyone know?

Suppose someone wanted to get rid of polyps that overgrew in a tank, and didn't want to take out the rock or sps or lps. Would these work?

Top Water

Your going to have to do more than dip. If you traded or sold any corals they probably got it too. You only see the adults and the eggs but the babies hide everywhere. The eggs will be like a little spiral underneath a zoo or something else.Remove as you find them they are white. and the adults will keep popping up . You need to pick out adults at night with a flash light and slow down the breeding if possible and do the wrasses as stated others. Your whole tank is pretty much infested if you find more than one adult. Anyone getting corals from that tank are at high risk with out proper qt steps. Those things are hard to get rid of. A few years ago I dumped a whole tank to be sure. Corals never go direct into my main tank anymore for that very reason.

The white dots are not eggs . They are prettymuch zoo pox / damage caused by nudi feeding.

kratos1028

I see. What I plan on doing is treating all the zoas with Furan 2 and starting to pick out the nudis with a flashlight at night. I tried last night but didn't see anything. Just a bunch of copepods everywhere. Would a UV light work better to pick them out? They might be brown and just blending in with the rock so perfectly. I did take out a few adults a few weeks ago but they were on the glass so it was very easy to spot them.

I started with a clean tank. Used new sand and dry/live rock from my fowlr tank. I don't have any nudis in there. I must have got it from someone when I bought corals but not sure from who.

kratos1028

Not sure if this matters or not but I read that zoa pox can be caused my temperature swings. My tank used to be around 79 degrees before this hot nice weather started and now its going up to 82.5ish. Would this swing have caused it? I haven't seen any nudi branches in my tank for a few weeks so now I am doubting if is nudibranches or just zoa pox.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Not sure if this matters or not but I read that zoa pox can be caused my temperature swings. My tank used to be around 79 degrees before this hot nice weather started and now its going up to 82.5ish. Would this swing have caused it? I haven't seen any nudi branches in my tank for a few weeks so now I am doubting if is nudibranches or just zoa pox.
If this was the case than my 62 zoas/palys frags, will also have this issue.. :dontknow:

kratos1028

Just checked my temperature and its up to 83.5. Everything seems fine. I also inspected all my zoas with a flash light and wasn't able to see any nudis on them. I found 3 frags of the many zoas that I have that had zoa pox. Should I just treat them or all the zoas?

kratos1028

okay thanks. I will leave the ones that don't seem infected alone. Need to find a wrasse this week too that is on the list for eating nudi branches incase I have any left. I did have a red tail wrasse for awhile and not sure if she took out the nudis but I will get another wrasse soon.

After treating the infected zoas, do I place them back in the tank in the same area or can I place them on the bottom of the tank until the full treatment is done? I read that they should be put in areas with high flow after treatment?

kratos1028

Got the Furan 2 today. Ordered it yesterday from fosterandsmith and they shipped pretty fast. I will start treating all the infected zoas and start doing some water changes since I haven't done one in over 3 months.

I read that zoa pox is seasonal and can be triggered by temperature changes so hopefully once I treat the zoas, it won't come back.

kratos1028

quick question, can I reuse the furan 2 water that I used for my first treatment or do I have to start fresh after every treatment?

kratos1028

I don't have vitamin C to use. Just using the furan 2 dip method. How would I treat with vit C in a bucket? I still have the bucket saved but I will dump it out and start fresh. I took out the tank water and put that in a bucket and just replaced the tank with fresh saltwater. Is it okay to use tank water or do I have to treat in fresh saltwater?

The package says 1 packet per 10 gallons but I am reading online that says 1 packet per 1-3 cups of saltwater? I added about half a packet to 2.5 gallons of saltwater. Did I dose too little?

Pufferpunk

You should use the water the zoa is used to living in (tank water). Don't want to stress it out further. Try the Furan & see if it works.

kratos1028

First treatment is done. We will have to see this week if they will need another round.

They are actually looking much better with a few polyps still closed .