120 Rimless build

sk8elenex92

Premium member
So I'm finally ready to start the new build after moving. I had a 60 gallon cube before moving that was up for 2 years or so. I will be updating this thread as the build continues. Just picked up some nice pukani rock from AP today. Debating on if I should use muriatic acid on it or not. Only thing I still need to get is a sump and sand.. The fun has started :)

old 60

NEW!! 120. Ill post more pictures later on.

Start of the stand

Some rock. Dry and some live from the old tank.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Over the weekend I dipped my rock in muriatic acid. It was not as bad as I thought. I left the rock in the water and acid for about 40 min. Kinda wished I left in there longer. It deff. removed a lot of crap off the rock, but I bet it could have been better by letting it sit a little longer. I didn't really measure how much acid I put into the water. I just dumped in gallon and half of the stuff, and it started going nuts and bubbling. Then After 40 min or so I dumped in a bunch of baking soda to neutralize it. Then I rinsed the hell out of the rocks. I will post more pics of the rock when its time to scape.. Back to building the stand tonight.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Wow someone responded. :). It is a sca tank.

http://www.scaquariums.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=SCA-120G

Well a little update. The rock came out awesome. Very clean and sparkling white. Very happy with the results. No longer smells so hoping it's all ready to go.

Also got the stand skinned. Planning on painting the inside with some kilz paint. Unless you guys can recommend something else. I also got Matt from sho tanks making me my fuge.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Little update. Stained the stand and picked up my fuge from sho tanks. Great job on the sump. First time at sho tanks and pretty awesome place. Prices were great on corals.

This was my first attempt at staining anything. I think it worked work well for me.

Any one know where I can get some doors for the stand???

So close yet so far.

jrpark22000

Premium member
If you have a table saw and fence, doors are very easy to make. 1/4" plywood panels and a dado in four edge peices of rrectangle stock. Couple cheek cuts to make tenons on two edge peices and you have doors.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Filled the tank to do a leak test. So far so good. Should have it in the house hopefully next week.
Time to scape some rock. Probably going to be the hardest part.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Little update.. I finally got to the stand inside the house. I still have to get the doors on and hang the lights. Also I think I am finally set on how I'm going to scape my rock. Below are a couple pics, let me know what you guys think..

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Thank you, I think the scape was the hardest thing to figure out. Probably played with it for a month if not longer.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Woo filled and running. Finally. It's quieter then I expected. Now for the cycle. Patiently waiting. Also my skimmer is going insane. Hopefully just a break in period.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Been running for almost two months now but I've been in hospital for 3 weeks which sucked. My buddy would come and look after it.

I got a bit of green cyano algae starting on the sand bed. Sucks because I can barely walk and deft can't do maintenance on the tank for another 4 weeks or so. Buddy helped me do a 20g WC at least.

Here's a couple pics

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Little update.. I will try to get an update up with more pictures.. So I was in the hospital for 2 months and the tank go infested with some nasty green cyano. It was bad. I could not walk much, but my buddy helped me siphon it out. It came back in about 2 days. I was out of option but to use chemi clean. The tank is now Sparkling for the last week. The only thing that sucks about this chemi clean is my skimmer still overflows since last tuesday, and I have done a 40 gallon WC already.

AND THIS GUY! Im trying to work and this is how he helps all morning..