144 Gallon 1/2 Circle Build - photo journal

LauraO

Found this tank on this site, thank you ChicagoReefs.com and knew it was the up-grade tank I was looking for :) I was wanting some more room then in my 46 gallon BowFront that I do love, just needed it bigger!! I will be tanking everything out of the 46 in a couple of week and loading it into my new baby! 46 will be used for a Sea Horse tank in other location @ my house and is why all this happened. - just wanted a little sea horse tank, and now all this! (thanks to the husbands plumbing skills)

Ok, Here we go!
-Truck rental
-Almost 1 & 1/2 hr drive to pick it up & a nervous 2 hr drive home worried about it breaking the whole time
-46 next to my new 144
-new sump setup- (thanks to Aquatica in Tinley Park) Its a beast *Wildco Acyclic 30 gal sump with the Reef Octopus Diablo 225 Protein Skimmer, 2 Rio 3100 return pumps and FLUVAL E300 3000 digital heater
-2 new Hydra 52's with a sweet remote
-65 lbs Live Rock (adding most of what in the 46 gal also)- came with a new friend, Serpent Star-now in the 46 gal
-40 lbs Live Sand

rockhead

This tank looks sweet! What are your plans on livestock? You planning on moving everything from the 46 first, and then going from there. Any big ideas for new additions

LauraO

Hi -
Yes, just finished moving all the coral over the last week and added a little school (7) of Cardinals plus a bigger clean up crew (!) couple of emerald crabs, handful of snails, then my only fish I had in my 46- Foxface, 2 clowns, lawn mower, citrus clown and my 1st damsel of course! I just added that Serpent Star that came with some live rock I bought also. I am not going to be added my flame angel- its kinda nippy with my corals. I will say, everyone look tiny in this new tank!

I would like to add some Tangs but not sure what kind will work together and with my current fish and corals. I was so interested in all the gorgeous corals out there I overlooked the fish! Now I have more room and am looking for some fish Ideas for sure :) Any favorites you can suggest?
View attachment 5119

Last edited:

LauraO

Week 2 complete-
All of my existing corals have been added (a long, prunie job!) This tank is DEEP, but if I stand on top step of step ladder, on my toes- I can just about reach the bottom with my finger tips- in water up to my shoulder!! I knew this is going to be a challenge with this tank but LOVE the half Circle look.

Added couple of new Corals: 2 Monti's I found in Bridgeview at a out of the way store- They Make the tank so far I think!
Also x-tra large Nitrous Trumpet from my friends at Aquatia in Tinley Park that just came in- Thanks for the text Jay :)
Under the Hydra 52's all of my corals look amazing- what a difference from my LED Marineland I started with :) I have the lights set on the Coral acclamation mode for the next couple of week to start. (I'm sure some coral with be moved around when I see how the lighting effects them and flow keeps changing)

-Now I have to start researching some cool fish that will get along with my current friends: Fox Face, 2 clowns, 7 Cardinals, lawn mower, citron clown goby and corals of course! Any suggestions are welcome, What are your Reef Safe favorites??
September 13th current look of the tank:

Last edited:

maazreef

Nice job! Upgrade looks like a success. Good to see you involving the kids. My girls are 6 hopefully one day we can turn it into a family hobby like you. The half moon look is awesome by the way.

LauraO

September 15th - almost 3 weeks since added water.

Everything seems to be going well, most of the corals seem to be a-ok but the snails are knocking them around still. After the Coral Acclimation period on the lights, 2 Hydra 52's) I will make sure to putty them down in their final places, just need to know there are in the right spots. (plus I cant control myself on moving stuff around)

Added some new fish too! Added 7 Cardinals (my own little school), then all my original fish (lost a clown :( did not take too well to the move- had a hard time catching them in the 46 gallon and I think I stressed him out too much) the Foxface, damsel, lawnmower, citron clown all seem to have adjusted great. Then added 1 fire fish, 1 purple fire fish and 2 Black Axel Chromis, which were all really cheap (like $6.99) and add so much to the tank.

and cant forget the clean up guys: 2 Emerald Crabs, fun addition to watch, handful of snails, hermits crabs and that creepy serpent star that came with the live rock. Put a couple of my peppermint shrimp in from the old tank too.

And here she is:
View attachment 5152View attachment 5153
View attachment 5154
View attachment 5155
View attachment 5156
View attachment 5157

Last edited:

Spartanman22

I've always loved Scopas (especially a yellow scopas) and convict tangs. They are both highly underrated IMO. And wrasses are always fun too!

Tank loos great. Get a yellow corris wrasse they keep your corals pest free and are social sweet fish. My blue star leopard wrasse is also awesome. But I got lucky he's a strong eater. Not all feed well on frozen leopard wrasses are finicky I have a regular leopard I'm my qt and he's not social and hasn't eaten yet. Almost always in the sand bed as well buried outta sight.

rockhead

Wow, by the pics it looks like it is a we'll established tank. Keep the update coming. Great work!