Beyond the Reef - Schaumburg

Kyjoma

I picked up my picasso pair from those guys last year. probably paid a little more than I would have elsewhere but all in all super healthy fish

Sjkarrow

if i recall when i spoke with one of the employees they said the old owner was sticking around for a little bit to do consulting and such.

DAS212

The livestock I have bought from them has always been healthy but some of their prices can be a little high but for stuff like Live Rock I feel like the extra cost is worth not having the headache

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I haven't spent much time there in almost 2 years since they were not into acro's. (I don't know if that has changed.) I recall wanting a small piece of DEAD Texas Holley rock until I found out it was $4/lb....

tkh

Just went there today. I'm not good at pricing things at all, new as I am to this hobby, but it didn't seem outrageous. As bad as I am pricing fish, given that I can barely tell one type of coral from another, I'm even worse at pricing corals.

Their fish looked healthy, and they have the most adorable little boxfish in right now! It's seriously the size of a die, maybe 1 - 1.5 cm cubed. It's also literally a cube.... If it wasn't destined to be an 8 inch fish I would've put a hold on it right then and there! They have some gorgeous triggers, beautiful sweet lips (also apparently big fish eventually, sadly), and some cool looking firefish. Well, that's what I noticed at least! I'll post some pics eventually... in using the entire day to go fish shopping I still need to go buy groceries!

Cubbies

Yes it was Victor. lol. I went there after they changed owners and hadn't done the remodeling they did and I have to say it was awful that time around. Tanks were dirty and there were like 5 people on staff and none of them bothered to greet or ask if I needed assistance. About 2 weeks ago I was driving through the area and decided to stop in. I have to admit this time around I was pleasantly surprised. It looks alot more open after the remodel. Tanks were nice and clean and I was very happy to see one of the old staff guys was taking charge of the bunch that were working that day. Prices seemed descent but yes you will still find your overpriced fish there. They do have some pretty big fish for those of you with the bigger tanks and yes the fish in the store look very healthy.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Wasn't this the store that had the Pom Pom Xenia for like $100?
LOL, yes!! They sold it out of their front DT. However, I think it was only $60 per stalk, not $100. The rest of their coral was reasonably priced which made the xenia price tag so bizarre !!

Triggerdood

I've been there maybe a dozen times. I was able to find a few nice deals on coral, but the fish imo are a little on the pricey side. $60 a stalk is crazy, but I know of a lfs in Lombard selling an 8x8 piece of GSP for $100. Don't know how some of these lfs get away with it.

DAS212

That is why I haven't been in there for a long time. I went there very often when I was only lps & softies.
I ordered from the divers den and I had $200 worth of SPS delievered DOA in 50 degree water. I got a full refund, but I still am trying to find a chicagoland reef store with a good selection of SPS

- Dave

RedDevil.258

LOL, yes!! They sold it out of their front DT. However, I think it was only $60 per stalk, not $100. The rest of their coral was reasonably priced which made the xenia price tag so bizarre !!
In their defense that DT is sweet! Any NooB would be happy if their tank looked that cool. BTW that's clam was HUGE! Pom Pom was real hypnotizing!! Soo much of it! LOL

Jimbojames

Im new to hobby but been looking at a couple lfs around the northwest burbs, stopped in today this storre just bought a wholesale shop out they where loading new stuff in and doing a count. Guy said they just got about 10k worth of new stuff, new online shop opening soon. http://www.beyondthereef.org. nice looking stuff, opened the door to the tanks should me the filter system super clean.

Geo

I have to give these guys a shot out.

When we had a mishap in our tank, when the in tank heater blew up and killed everything in the tank, except for the RBTA.....The owner of Beyond the Reef said he would hold onto the RBTA until we redid our tank, at no charge.

Of course, we bought new LR and LS from them and redid the tank. They held onto the RBTA for a month for us.

They were a HUGE help and i wanted to give them a shot out on here.

Those guy are great, very helpful, and have decent prices.

Is this place behind aquarium adventures?

Funlad3

You know it! They have some nice gems hidden there, if you know where to look... ;) I can honestly say that this is the only store from which I've always wanted to take something home, if, of course, the prices were a little more modest.

Geo

It seems like everyone in the area is a bit pricey. I found a LFS in Lisle 2 weeks ago that have good stuff in good prices. Don't remember their name though