Beyond the Reef - Schaumburg

greeniz2

I went to Beyond The Reef on Tuesday for the first time. I saw on there FB page they had Sicce 5.0 pumps on sale for $169.00 and would beat anyone's price. So had to check this place out and purchase that pump. I was a but surprised how small there selection is not to mention a bit pricey. It was clean as well as there tanks. I have to say, Jim was very nice and helpful. Nice place but I'd probably only go back for sales.

Skimmo

I bought CUC additions about 10 Astrea and 2 Nassarius. Astrea where about 1.79 each which ain't bad. Nassarius were about 6.99 ea. which sounds expensive but these live for a while. Nereids were 1.99, still a decent price. They keep their CUC livestock in clean tanks. I've seen CUC from other LFS with bubble algae and Aptaisa on their shells, but they were more expensive. SPS colonies were about $60. BTA's were about $70. Not bargain cheap but not stupid expensive either.

Overall prices were about the same as you'd see on LiveAquaria. Some will say that LA is pricey, some say it's worth it if the livestock survives shipment. I'd buy at LA prices from a LFS if the livestock were just as good. From what I've seen BTR is just about there. The place is clean, tanks are clean, there is more than one guy working there with more than 4 years at the shop. There is a noticeable change for the better in the store quality with the new ownership. I'll buy from them again.

Aquaman

I wish they still has their last leg bin... it was 1/2 dead coral like I once bought a yellow suncoral for 3 dollars and brought it back....and a white candy coral that I brought back... I actually still have both ... the new owner dosent do that I guess

I visited Beyond the Reef over the weekend - my first time there was in March when my first tank had just finished cycling. This was my second time. On that first trip I purchased 1 scarlet hermit crab + 2 astrea + an inexpensive zoa frag. I'm happy to report all four items are alive and kicking and doing well.

The main change over those past months is that the corals instead of being on live rock are now sitting on egg crate. I'd say the main innovation and somethng I haven't seen at other places is that with this method it is very easy to see how much is each item. They could improve on this by labeling more of the items and in the frag tanks more clearly delineating which items are "frags" vs "mini colonies." I wish more LFS' would adopt clear pricing. At my nearest LFS, the prices and names of all the corals in a tank are listed to the side of the tank, so really, one has no idea at all which price corresponds to what item, especially if they have multiples of the same coral in the tank.

I really like this place, I just wish the prices were lower and/or my wallet was a lot thicker!

RotterTubeReef

great place, nice fish selection, some of the more rare fish. I bought my fowleri tang from them. healthy fish that are kept in low levels of cupramine. very nice staff and clean store.