ChicagoReefs.com Official 2014 QT:1 Paly Grow-Out Contest

DB9181

CONTEST WILL OFFICIALLY START: February 10th 2014 through June 10th 2014

ChicagoReefs.com Official 2014 QT:1 Paly Grow-Out Contest colony will be Diablo palythoas. The palys will be fragged and mounted to identical frag tiles. They will heal up and be available for pick up the week prior to the start of the contest. The colony has 40+ usable polyps, so lets get every member involved and make this the biggest Grow-Out to date!

Participant list will be generated based on a posting count on this thread. So, please post list like this:

1. DB9181

Then the next guy would have to post:

1. DB9181
2. Joe5688

Third guy, etc., The post time stamp be the judge of who's in line.

-Cost to enter is $15. Please Pre-pay via Paypal Personal Gift to DE-Boyles@wiu.edu
-Payment will hold your frag.

-Primary pick-up will be located in Franklin Park (10 minutes from O'Hare), other arrangements can be made.

PICK UP will begin Monday Feb 3rd
Unless otherwise stated, pick up availability will be 5p-11p during the week and just about anytime on the weekend. I will do my best to make a couple trips out to Reefwise, AquaPros, etc for pick up. You are more than welcome to have someone else pick up/transport your frag (as long as I know about it), but I hold no responsibility once it leaves my hands.

Simple rules to follow:

1. Must do a brief writeup of your system (eg. size, flow, light, placement of the paly, coral food, fish, etc) with initial photo of frag in your tank.

2. Monthly updates with progress photos is encouraged, but not required. Extra updates are allowed for bragging rites!
***Members that post for all 4 check-ins (initial, 1 mo, 2 mo, final) may be eligible for an additional prize drawing.

3. No cheating. If your polyp dies, you are out. If your polyp comes free of your frag tile, it MUST be re-mounted to that same tile.
You CAN do as you like with your frag tile, stick it in the sand, glue on your rocks, etc - All is fair in this regard,
but the tile and the polyp on it must remain intact.

4. Final Check-in is required ON TIME, with post time-stamp showing no later than 11:59pm on the last day of the contest.
***Failure to check-in by the deadline date, or not including photo with final check-in will result in disqualification.

5. In the event of a TIE at the final check-in, the winning members will go into a "sudden death" race.
The first member to grow an additional polyp on their frag, and post a picture clearly showing all polyps will be the winner.
This will continue until there is a clear 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners for the contest.

6. Members are encouraged to actively participate in the grow-out thru this thread. Possible additional mini-contests or surprise announcements may be posted during the competition that will give members opportunities to win additional prizes.

7. Have fun. This is a friendly competition amongst all us local reefers.

Not following the rules can cause you to be disqualified with no refund

PRIZES: $10per participant will go towards total payout.
(Will be updated if additional prizes become available. Pay-out currently based on 20 participants)

Grand Prize: $100
Second Place: $60
Third Place: $30

Sponsor credit will be issued to the winners choice of site sponsor/vendor.
Shipping charges are NOT included in the prize, and must be paid by the winner, or from the store credit if sponsor allows it.
***Prize totals will vary based on total participants and will be adjusted as required.

Sign up now! PM is Key, contact me directly to arrange pickup and payment of your frag.
List will be updated as frags are paid for and picked up.
There are plenty of polyps to go around, so the only limit to contest is deadline date.
Polyps will be cut to order, so take advantage and get in early!
Entry fee of $15 covers contest prizes, cost of polyp, frag plug, glue, and fresh blades for cutting.
Sponsor credit payout of contest is $TBD per participant.
Any remaining funds from this contest will be used on supplies for the next contest.

Participants:
1. Milhouse - PAID - PICKED UP - INITIAL CHECK IN
2. Chitown Tom - PAID - PICKED UP
3. Bretts05Jeep - PAID - PICKED UP
4. Rozdab - PAID - PICKED UP
5. Sk8elenex92 - PAID - PICKED UP - INITIAL CHECK IN
6. Slimm - PAID - PICKED UP
7. CienFuegos - PAID - PICKED UP
8. Joe5688 - PAID - PICKED UP
9. DD - PAID - PICKED UP
10. CoralN00b - PAID - PICKED UP
11. Nailbender - PAID - PICKED UP
12. EmilyBear91 - PAID - PICKED UP
13. BigBarnacles - PAID -
14. Rako1 - PAID - PICKED UP - INITIAL CHECK IN
15. Siebo - PAID - PICKED UP
16. Green0j0s - PAID - PICKED UP - INITIAL CHECK IN
17. Rich130981 - PAID - PICKED UP
18. 1mg - PAID - PICKED UP - INITIAL CHECK IN

----

PICK-UPS WILL BEGIN MONDAY!

IT WILL BE FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE. YOU CAN HAVE SOMEONE ELSE PICK UP YOUR FRAG FOR YOU, BUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW AHEAD OF TIME - I AM ALSO NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IT ONCE IT LEAVES MY HANDS.

PICK UP WILL BE AT MY HOUSE IN FRANKLIN PARK (GRAND & MANNHEIM - 10MINS FROM O'HARE) PM ME FOR ADDRESS.

*PLEASE PM ME WITH WHAT DAY/TIME YOU'D LIKE TO PICK UP - PLEASE SPECIFY IN PM WHICH GROW OUT YOUR ARE PICKING UP TO MAKE THINGS EASIER FOR ME*

*** Payout will be dependent on total participants and entry fees collected.
*** Please direct any questions, comments or concerns directly to me via PM to discuss.
*** Thank you!

Last edited:

DB9181

I apologize for the delay in getting this thread back up post-crash, I had limited computer access over the weekend to pull all the files and recreate it. Usually these Grow Out Contests run smoothly without hiccups.

I believe almost everyone has picked up their frag, those that I haven't yet have been in contact with me.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Please post your 'initial tank write up' post by 11:59p Sunday Feb 16th
1. Must do a brief writeup of your system (eg. size, flow, light, placement of the paly, coral food, fish, etc) with initial photo of frag in your tank.

Those that compete check in by the designated deadline may be entered into a frag raffle ;)

rako1

Premium member
Yahh were back. So I have my Frag in my Walt Luttman 14 g. cube with CC full spectrum led P38 just return flow I feed coral frenze and sometimes they pick up a pellet of fish food I have 2 Black and white snowflake clowns
View attachment 547

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Alrighty back on track...

60 Gallon Cube
20 gallon Sump..
Boost Led's
Skimmer
No Dosing
Will be feeding Rods Juice and some Reef Chilli

Milhouse

Premium member
Tank is a 29 gallon bio cube. Lights are the stock PC's one 10k and one actinic.
Intank media basket with filter floss, purigen and chemipure elite
Flow is from a mj1200 return pump and a koralia 240 nano
Frag is in my frag rack about 1/3 the way up. I may move it though.
I feed azox and dose vita chem

View attachment 563

Green0j0s

In my 90 Gallon with 30 Gallon Sump w Fuge. Tank is lit by 2 Reefbreeder fixtures. 2 WP25's and one MP10 for flow.

Frag is right in front of the Purple w Green Tip Hammer. About midway up the tank. I feed the fish once a day, usually pellets now. With once a week Mysis or rods original.

Yellow Tang, Trio of Lyretail Anthias, Pair of Booyahs Snowflake Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Starry Blenny, Firefish, Blue Reef Chromis, Green Mandarin.

Last edited:

1mg

Ok so mine is on the bottom middle of my 46 bow. It is lit by a 250w mh with 2 24in atinic, 2100 gph of circulation. Small amout of chaeto a bag of carbon and small amount of gfo. I have a bh1000 for a skimmer. Water changes are slim to none. Fish: pair of mandarins, pair of snowflake clowns, and two ruby reds.View attachment 570View attachment 571

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk

Last edited:

emilybear91

Everything in my tank is thriving, except for my growout paly of course. Pretty sure it's dead.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

bretts05jeep

150gallon tank, 6bulb tek light with ATI bulbs, 2 tunze 6105 for flow. I feed Cobalt flake food but not target feeding coral. I started about mid way up in the tank but it didn't look happy so I moved it to the sand.

Rich130981

20x20 frag tank, 2 800gph power heads, carbon reactor, mag 7 return, eshopps cone 150 skimmer, reef breeders a4 led, calcium and all dosers, apex powered, dose fuel 2x weekly, dose vit c once daily. I do not add food to this tank.

Last edited:

Slimm

View attachment 781View attachment 781Frag placed on sandbed in Red Sea max 130. Majority of the tank is dominated by SPS. Lighting is a steves LED retrofit kit with a typhon controller. Skimmer is tunze 9002. Return pumps are upgraded eheim. An additional koralia 850 is also in the tank. Weekly 10-15% water changes are performed. Acropower is dosed after WC. That's all I can think of for now.

Last edited:

nailbender

Mine was placed in the sand. Looked good overnight. Then the lights came on. Moved it about 4 times during the day. No place made it happy. Next day it was gone.
Anyone want an empty frag plug?

Rick

rozdab

My tank is a 57g rimless Oceanic Illuminata with 2 aqua illumination vega fixtures. I have 2 mp10's for flow. I also have a tunze nano stream hidden in back behind the rock work that I run a few times a week to create random flow and help 'dust off' my corals and rocks. I run gfo in a brs reactor, purigen, and chemi-pure.
I rarely feed my corals but if I do its rods coral blend and/or cyclop-eeze.
10% water changes weekly, with vinegar baths for all pumps once a month.
I placed the polyp on my frag rack to start which is a little bit more than halfway up the side of the tank. I will let it acclimate for awhile before moving it elsewhere.

I will post a pic tonight b4 midnight.

Good luck everyone!!!

Siebo

Premium member
65g tank lit buy an evergrow IT2080. Flow is two WP25's set to pulse mode (w1) most of the time. I run a sump with a SCA302 skimmer ,cheato, mangroves and Hel-X media. I do run a little GAC in a reactor. I also carbon dose vinegar.

Frag is on my frag rack currently. I feed rods and a little coral frenzy.

I will snap a pic tomorrow.

Last edited: