ChicagoReefs.com Official Spring 2013 Paly Grow-Out Contest

DB9181

View attachment 11740
CONTEST WILL OFFICIALLY START: March 11th, 2013 AND END June 11th 2013.

ChicagoReefs.com member Jay "JayJigga" has generously volunteered to donate a colony of Everlasting Gobstopper palythoas for this grow-out contest. The palys will be fragged this week and mounted to identical brand new frag tiles. They will heal up and be available for pick up the week prior to the start of the contest. The colony has 40+ usable polyps, so lets get every member involved and make this the biggest Grow-Out to date!

-Cost to enter is $15. Please Pre-pay via Paypal Personal Gift. Payment will hold your frag.
-PM for PayPal info and to be added to the list.

-Primary pick-up will be located in Franklin Park (10 minutes from O'Hare), other arrangements can be made.

PICK UP will begin Wednesday March 6th
Unless otherwise stated, pick up availability will be 5p-11p during the week (Wed/Thurs/Fri) and just about anytime on the weekend.

Simple rules to follow:

1. Must do a brief writeup of your system (eg. size, flow, light, placement of the paly, coral food, fish, etc) with initial photo of frag in your tank.

2. Monthly updates with progress photos is encouraged, but not required. Extra updates are allowed for bragging rites!
***Members that post for all 4 check-ins (initial, 1 mo, 2 mo, final) may be eligible for an additional prize drawing.

3. No cheating. If your polyp dies, you are out. If your polyp comes free of your frag tile, it MUST be re-mounted to that same tile.
You CAN do as you like with your frag tile, stick it in the sand, glue on your rocks, etc - All is fair in this regard,
but the tile and the polyp on it must remain intact.

4. Final Check-in is required ON TIME, with post time-stamp showing no later than 11:59pm on the last day of the contest.
***Failure to check-in by the deadline date, or not including photo with final check-in will result in disqualification.

5. In the event of a TIE at the final check-in, the winning members will go into a "sudden death" race.
The first member to grow an additional polyp on their frag, and post a picture clearly showing all polyps will be the winner.
This will continue until there is a clear 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners for the contest.

6. Members are encouraged to actively participate in the grow-out thru this thread. Possible additional mini-contests or surprise announcements may be posted during the competition that will give members opportunities to win additional prizes.

7. Have fun. This is a friendly competition amongst all us local reefers.

Not following the rules can cause you to be disqualified with no refund

PRIZES:
(Will be updated if additional prizes become available. Pay-out currently based on 32 participants)

Grand Prize: $125 sponsor credit and a Par38 w/ Gooseneck and dimmer module from Coral Compulsion
Second Place: $75 sponsor credit
Third Place: $50 sponsor credit

Sponsor credit will be issued to the winners choice of site sponsor/vendor.
Shipping charges are NOT included in the prize, and must be paid by the winner, or from the store credit if sponsor allows it.
***Prize totals will vary based on total participants and will be adjusted as required.

Sign up now! PM is Key, contact me directly to be added to the list and arrange pickup and payment of your frag.
List will be updated as frags are paid for and picked up.
There are plenty of polyps to go around, so the only limit to contest is deadline date.
Polyps will be cut to order, so take advantage and get in early!
Entry fee of $15 covers contest prizes, cost of polyp, frag plug, glue, and fresh blades for cutting.
Sponsor credit payout of contest is $TBD per participant.
Any remaining funds from this contest will be used on supplies for the next contest.

Participants:
1. brianspider - PAID - Picked Up - Initial, 2nd
2. Thedg - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st
3. Terrien4t -PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
4. Jwblocal701 - PAID - Picked Up - Initial
5. BBRT - PAID - Picked Up - Initial
6. Erok90 - PAID - Picked Up - Initial
7. FishBeard -PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
8. Joe5688 -PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
9. Pufferpunk - PAID - - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
10. Tinman - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
11. SkunkerX - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
12. Siebo - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
13. paphotography - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
14. William Lutman - PAID - Picked Up - Inital - 1st, 2nd
15. Ddiomede - PAID - Picked Up - Initial, 2nd
16. FrostyJay1 - PAID - - Picked Up - Initial - 1st
17. GaryR1984 - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st
18. Saledo - PAID - Picked Up - Initial,
19. Capysolo -PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
20. Rako1 - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
21. Gomery12 - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st
22. IhaveCrabs - PAID - Picked Up - Initial -1st
23. Herbie - PAID - Picked Up - Initial -1st, 2nd
24. CoralN00b - PAID - Picked Up
25. Scotty - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
26. Tkh - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd
27. Salman01 - PAID - Picked Up -Initial
28. Nxt - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st
29. Steve1986 - PAID - Picked Up - Initial
30. GLB - PAID - Picked Up - Initial
31. Cecily - PAID - Picked Up - Initial
32. Jeppun21 - PAID - Picked Up - Initial - 1st, 2nd

*** Payout will be dependent on total participants and entry fees collected.
*** Please direct any questions, comments or concerns directly to me via PM to discuss.
*** Thank you!

edsbeaker

I suppose this would require a tank and some water??? :pout: Why did you have to be doing a pretty one when I don't have the tank yet?

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Hummm!! Only $15 to play and run with $150 home.. Sounds to easy for me :D

Going to wait a lil more...lol!!

Who will be doing the cutting?

jayjigga

Can't wait to see how these color up for you guys. The colony has been hanging out in the shade due to a lack of space (or an addiction to coral), so their going to enjoy the front and center attention. I think I'll hold the control frag so that Dan can participate too. Don't know if you guys have any qualms about him participating or not, but if I'm involved, he'll just be in charge of pick up of the frags. Work it out amongst yourselves and I can't wait to see what happens in the next couple months :)

Who will be doing the cutting?
Dan and I are going to coordinate so that we can get them cut and ready for pick up asap (but not this week).

DB9181

Can't wait to see how these color up for you guys. The colony has been hanging out in the shade due to a lack of space (or an addiction to coral), so their going to enjoy the front and center attention. I think I'll hold the control frag so that Dan can participate too. Don't know if you guys have any qualms about him participating or not, but if I'm involved, he'll just be in charge of pick up of the frags. Work it out amongst yourselves and I can't wait to see what happens in the next couple months :)

Dan and I are going to coordinate so that we can get them cut and ready for pick up asap (but not this week).
no worries Jay - I don't mind either way. I (well....WE) got a nice cash purse from the last grow-out :D

FishBeard

Same here, no problem with him participating. I chose not to when I hosted prior growouts to just eliminate that possibility of placing at the end and it causing issues after the fact.

DB9181

I would enjoy participating as I did very well last time and want to see if it was a fluke lol. But I dont mind sitting it out - The colony is acclimating in my tank now, Jay and I will start fragging it Wednesday Night. Once the contest begins, more than likely Jay will be taking the rest of the colony.

The last thing I want to do its start 'issues' if mine grows like a weed so no worries.

pasphotography

I know Im new here... but, I think any upstanding member should be able to enter that pays and follows the rules. If any of the members doing all the work want in they should be able to participate especially for their efforts. If they happen to win they obviously are doing something right and we can all learn from them. (maybe to ease peoples minds that dont think so, let their frag choice be decided by another member?)

Steve1986

+1
I know Im new here... but, I think any upstanding member should be able to enter that pays and follows the rules. If any of the members doing all the work want in they should be able to participate especially for their efforts. If they happen to win they obviously are doing something right and we can all learn from them. (maybe to ease peoples minds that dont think so, let their frag choice be decided by another member?)