ChicagoReefs.com Official Winter 2011-2012 Paly Grow-Out Contest

FishBeard

CONTEST WILL OFFICIALLY START: December 5, 2011 AND END March 5, 2011.

ChicagoReefs.com member Dre "Lil BamBam" has generously volunteered to donate a colony of speckled green palythoas for this growout contest. The palys have all been fragged and mounted to identical brand new frag plugs, and currently healing. Dre has requested to aim for 15 participants, as this would provide both winners a nice prize.

Cost to enter is $10 cash. Payment is to be made at pickup of frag.

Simple rules to follow:

1. Must do a quick writeup of their system (eg. size, flow, light, placement of the zoos, coral food, fish, etc) with initial photo of frag in your tank.

2. Must document with photos the progress of the zoas on a monthly basis. Extra updates are allowed for bragging rites!

3. No cheating. If your polyp dies, you are out. If your polyp comes free of your frag plug, it MUST be re-mounted to that same plug.

4. Have fun. This is a friendly competition amongst all us local reefers.

Not following the rules can cause you to be disqualified with no refund

The prizes will be issued as follows (assuming 15 participants)

Grand Prize: $100 store credit

Runner-Up: $50 store credit

Store credit will be issued to the winners choice of site sponsor/vendor. Shipping charges are NOT included in the prize, and must be paid by the winner, or from the store credit if sponsor allows it. If there are more or less than 15 participants, the above listed prizes will both adjust by $5 per contestant, to a minimum $10 prize per winner, or maximum of $110/$60 if all 17 spaces are filled.

Sign up now, space is limited to 17 contestants! PM is Key, contact me directly to be added to the list (first come, first serve), and contact Dre "Lil BamBam" directly to arrange pickup and payment of your frag. Dre will let me know when frags have been picked up and the list will be updated.

On December 5th, this thread will be unlocked to allow discussion and check-in by participants. Until that day any questions, comments or concerns should be voiced by PM directly to me.

Participants:

1. DanSreef - PAID
2. Cubbies - PAID
3. Salt0727 - PAID
4. Markitekt - PAID
5. M.miller1547- PAID
6. SkunkerX - PAID
7. BigKev23 - PAID
8. EricTheRed - PAID
9. 1990JPYP - PAID
10. Crooks - PAID
11. JVC - PAID
12. rattyE36 - PAID
13. HecticZ - PAID
14. Tethered_Limbs - PAID
15. Catran - PAID
16. Twitch - PAID
17. Badgus - PAID

FishBeard

Contest now has an official logo! Space is filling fast, so act quick if you want a spot in the contest!

FishBeard

Just a quick reminder, as of tonight the following still either need to pickup or arrange pickup of their frags for the contest. Monday this thread will be opened for participants to sumbit their first check-in and starting photos. Members will have until the 11th (Sunday) to post their first check-in.

14. Tethered_Limbs - pending pickup/payment
16. Chicagophil - pending pickup/payment
17. Badgus - pending pickup/payment

FishBeard

The contest is officially a GO! Everyone please get your system info posted as well as a starting photo of your frag in your tank!

Remember, if you switch tanks during the contest, you must check in with new system info and new photo of frag in that tank.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

m.miller1547

12g jbj nano cube
30 w Cree LED; 6 rb 5 cw on 12 hr cycle
10 lb live rock
Carbon and chemipure

The frag was placed about two inches off crushed coral in a medium flow area. I feed rods coral blend, cyclopseeze, microvert and phytoplex the day before my water change every week.

My tank is pretty well stocked. I plan to finish my 30g cube in January. It's too expencive right now; Christmas is fast approaching.

Thanks guys for making this happen.

BigKev23

60g Marineland Cube
ATI 6 x 24w Powermodule (4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Purple Plus & 1 ATI Aquablue Special)
Vertex IN-100 Skimmer
2 x MP10wES (Running 100% in Reef Crest Mode)
Nano Sea Creations Bio Pellet Reactor with Sea Slug Phosballs
Tropic Marin Salt
Dose with Tropic Marin Bio Calcium and Bio Magnesium every other day

Current Fish: Purple Tang, Regular Ocellaris, Black Ocellaris, Pygmy Angel, Mystery Wrasse, Banghai Cardinal, Mandarin, Yasha Goby, Bicolor Dottyback

Rotate between Rod's Food, NLS Thera A Pellets, Cyclopeeze and Flake Food

SPS dominated tank with LPS and Zoas/Palys in the sand

Frag is placed in the sand in front of the rockwork

HecticZ

First and foremost I want to say thanks for setting this up, and to Lil Bam Bam for his Hospitality and letting us into his home.

Tank

12g Nano Cube stock light 2x24 PC
Maxi jet 900 as the pump
Filter floss in the first chamber
Carbon and phosguard in the second chamber
Pump and heater third chamber.

I feed PE Myscis every 3 days for my Onyx clown, YWG and pistol shrimp. I also hand feed my acans PE Myscis.

2.5 gallon water change weekly with Reef Crystals.

IMAG0044 by HecticZ, on Flickr

Lil BamBam

Premium member
3 different lightings... This is going to be very interesting :D

Hecticz, it was nice meeting you also and everyone else. You are always welcome back :D Just make sure you leave the AI fixture :rolleyes:

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I'll start with a brief tank write-up and add my 1st pic soon.

90G mixed reef w/ an 8-bulb Nova Extreme T5 fixture.
2x JBJ 1600gph powerheads
1200gph return pump.
The tank used to be a fowlr so the sump is actually a modified 20G wet/dry that I managed to squeeze an ASM G1X skimmer into with a little extra room for a heater and 2 maxijets that run biopellet and gfo/gac reactors (no refugium).
I have ~ 150lbs of rock and a shallow sandbed.
I feed live phyto 2x week, Ocean's Blend Coral Vibrance 1x week and target feed the LPS w/ PE Mysis 1x week. (Fishes are fed 2x day; pellets and mysis & nori)

Fishes:
Coral Beauty, Sailfin Tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Coris, Male & female Tongan Lyretail, Anthias, Mocha Clown

Coral:
25 SPS, 11 LPS, 15 Softies + 8 varieties of zoas

Inverts:
2 Maxima Clams, various shrimp, snails and hermits

Supplements/Additives:
I dose kalk in my top-off water and supplement with homemade Mg as needed. Occasionally I'll dose Reef Plus by SeaChem if I'm behind on water changes. (I average a 20% WC every 3 weeks)

rattyE36

So excited to be apart of this!

Tank info:
90G reef ready
aqueon 3 sump
ASM G2 skimmer
Carbon and GFO tumbling in media bags in sump
TEK 54W 48" 6 bulb fixture with 4 ATI blue+ 1 ATI purple+ and 1 ATI aquablue special
2 korallia powerheads for flow
750GPH return pump
~80lbs of sand
~160lbs of LR

Today my paly came off the frag plug but I was able to find it and re-glue it!

Here's a pic of when I placed it!

SkunkerX

LOL that happened to me with the purple death contest.

125 gallon with 55 gallon sump/refugium, 1200 gph overflow , 1 koralia #4 & 2 koralia #2 in main tank, 1 koralia #4 in refugium/sump with a turboflotor 1000 multi skimmer. Lighting is current usa with 3 150 watt MH, 8 39 watt T5s 420/460 and 12 blue and 12 white led night lights, current usa 1/3 hp chiller. Placement will be about mid tank, I feed reef plankton so far "only had zoas till last week" and as for fish I have 2 tank raised ocellaris clownfish, 1 blue/green chromis, 1 yellow tang, 1 purple tang , 1 juvenile imperator now changing,2 lyretail anthias, 4 pepperment shrimp and a pistol shrimp maybe still in there the 1st time I seen it since I put it in was 1 1/2 year after and havent seen it since then. Then there's the clean up crew of many snails and hermit crabs
will get a pic up by tomorrow

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
LOL that happened to me with the purple death contest.

125 gallon with 55 gallon sump/refugium, 1200 gph overflow , 1 koralia #4 & 2 koralia #2 in main tank, 1 koralia #4 in refugium/sump with a turboflotor 1000 multi skimmer. Lighting is current usa with 3 150 watt MH, 8 39 watt T5s 420/460 and 12 blue and 12 white led night lights, current usa 1/3 hp chiller. Placement will be about mid tank, I feed reef plankton so far "only had zoas till last week" and as for fish I have 2 tank raised ocellaris clownfish, 1 blue/green chromis, 1 yellow tang, 1 purple tang , 1 juvenile imperator now changing,2 lyretail anthias, 4 pepperment shrimp and a pistol shrimp maybe still in there the 1st time I seen it since I put it in was 1 1/2 year after and havent seen it since then. Then there's the clean up crew of many snails and hermit crabs
will get a pic up by tomorrow
Is your Imperator aka Emperor Anglefish...? I thought those were only reef safe in SPS only tanks. I hope he doesn't eat your paly :hungry:

SkunkerX

No hes pretty good with those he just likes to knock stuff over that isn't glued down and I think I got it wedged in a rock pretty good and he hasn't pulled it out yet "fingers crossed" I wanted to get rid of him just for that but he starting to change colors for me so I'm so conflicted but if or most likely when he does start tearing things apart I will be looking for a new home for him. Besides he should be out growing the tank in the next year or 2. I got him when he was only 2 inches or so but 2 years later and hes about 5" or 6" and always hides, well at least when someone goes into the room.