Crabs 155g In-Wall Fish Room Build

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
:welcome:

After having my 60g shallow reef and 120 gallon display tank setup decommissioned after selling my last house, my 8g AIO has not keeping up with my addiction. That said, our family moved into a new home a month ago and after getting some projects around the house complete, I finally got around to making the first few purchases for the fish room build.

Vision!

Existing Layout:
Please excuse the post move-in mess.. just had to get it setup for the kids playroom for now and storage for all my existing reef supplies

Future Fish Room

Outside wall/corner where tank will go..

Tank(s):
Ordered an SC Aquariums custom 155g 60" x 30" x 20" (LxWxH) and..
View attachment 21634

A SC Aquariums custom 58g 48" x 24" x 12"
View attachment 21635

Both utilizing a Synergy Shadow 16 Overflow because I wanted to keep the display as open as possible for the flow and rock work.

View attachment 21638
Image credit goes to Berlibee http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36022

I have a few options for Tank placement. My fiance and I both like a symmetrical view of the tank (i.e. centered on the wall) but I can't help but think I would love to see a side of it from the bar. I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks on these options..

The bar is not labeled but is off to the right of the picture with a drink/bar rail that follows around the wall and tank. In front of the tank and on the side, there will be room for chairs for viewing the tank or the flatscreen mounted on the opposite wall.

Option 1:
View attachment 21636

Option 2:
View attachment 21633

Last edited:

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Main Tank Equipment
  • Existing ATI 6-Bulb
  • Vortech M1 Return Pump
  • 2x Vortech MP40
  • 2x PP-16*
  • Simplicity 2000 240DC Skimmer
  • Apex Gold Package
  • Apex EB4 (2 additional)
  • Addtl Apex PM1 + Temp (additional)
  • Apex EB8 (additional)
  • 2x 50ml min Dosers
  • 2x 1.1ml min Dosers

Shallow Frag Tank
  • 2x Ocean Revives T247
  • Vortech MP10
  • Jabao PP-8
  • Jabao PP-4

Miscellaneous
  • 2x 10g TTM Tanks
  • 1x 40 Breeder Hospital
  • 1x 29g Coral QT
  • 2x 300W Heaters
  • Rubbermaid Structural Foam Stock tank (Sump)

Stocking List/Wish List
  • Watchman Goby + Tiger Shrimp pair
  • Second Watchman goby (much smaller, hoping for a pair)
  • Yellow Tang
  • Yellow Eye Kole Tang
  • Square Tail Bristletooth Tang
  • Scribbled Rabbitfish (60g Frag tank)
  • Sixline Wrasse (60g Frag Tank)
  • Midas Blenny
  • Leopard Wrasse Pair
  • Clownfish pair
  • Blue/Green Chromis (large number added after tank establishes)
  • Cleaner Shrimp 2x
  • Fire Blood Shrimp
  • Variety of SPS coral
  • Few LPS
  • Zoanthids

Last edited:

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Tanks have been ordered and are expected to ship by Mid-August and arrive by Mid-Late October.

This gives me some time to begin prepping the dry-rock (Pukani from my 120g) and some dry "Life Rock" branching rock. This stuff looks gorgeous and I picked it up on a local reef on CR a few months back in preparation for this.

I'll likely begin by breaking apart my previous 120g rock structure and incorporating the branch rock while it is dry and build my aquascape dry, then begin the curing process. We'll see..

Here is my previous rock scape from my 120g.

View attachment 21637

Last edited:

anarchy

This is going to be sick. Can't wait. Love the old scape

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
This is going to be sick. Can't wait. Love the old scape

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Thanks Anarchy, appreciate it! Hopefully this one will top the last. Especially without the overflow box in the way on this new build.

Rcampos89

I like option 2 because you get 2 views I love side views as oppose to option 1 you only get 1 front view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
UPS dropped off two Synergy Shadow overflow boxes today! Now to wait for the tanks...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Starting getting some equipment together and getting what I do own cleaned up.

Finally after moving, my little 8g AIO finally ran low on top-off water so I needed to get the RODI unit hooked up. New In-line TDS meter is shipped and should be arriving today as I could not find my existing hand-held unit after the move. With well water, I'm slightly concerned; however, the previous owners installed a water softener and after moving in, we installed an Iron removal system due to the iron smell in the water. Showers were the worst!

Here are a few pictures of the equipment and all the Life Reef Rock:

View attachment 21703

View attachment 21704

And the Life Reef Rock. I have to say, I'm impressed with the colors. I thought for sure before I saw them in person that they would look ultra fake; however, after coraline starts taking over the other pukani rock I will be using also, it will blend really well.

Only con I see is a lot of the pieces are very very similar in shape (looks like that had 3 molds). After picking them up second hand for a steal, I can't complain!

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Ok, so I have been having some fun over the last few days on Sketch Up (3D modeling software). This takes me back to using auto-cad back in high school/college..

Fish Room:
Don't pay any attention to the tank stands.. they are not drawn to spec of how they will be eventually built. This was for ease of modeling :)
  • Main tank 60x30x20
  • Frag/Grow Out tank 48x24x12
  • TTM Tanks 10g
  • 40g Breeder Hospital Tank/Coral QT
  • Water change brute containers will likely go between the Sink and Frag tanks due to the space.
  • The weird ceiling is actually the vents that travel through the room. They severely limited by tanks height unfortunately and re-routing them would be very tough as well as restricting to the upstairs heat and AC.

Basement:
Barstools were too hard to figure out how to draw haha. Maybe there is some 3D model insert tool / pre-designed models.
  • Walls will likely be horizontal reclaimed wood (not all same length and width)
  • Bar will be stacked stone, not travertine.. Limitation with the free software :)
  • Bar Rail in front of tank with additional seating. This will be used for additional seating during movies/games as well as tank viewing.
  • Thinking about putting a viewing window (or port windows) from the bar into the fish room.. but that means I have to keep it clean!
  • Reading nook under the basement stairs for the kid. He loves reading.

Last edited:

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Quick Update:

I hooked up my RODI system and did some research on well and septic systems and the addition of salt water! Happy with the results that there is not much to worry about.

I also hooked up a 2 stage TDS Meter (after RO and after DI) and a 1/4" line pressure gauge.

TDS before the RODI System is ~770-780..
TDS before after the RO and before the DI is ~20-30.. Based on this I had to do a little more research.

It turns out that my RO unit was not 96.2% effective which should be much much higher. This was due to my pressure being at 45 PSI.

Next purchase came very quickly.. Booster pump. Expecting delivery today!

Danieldv6

Looks like there will be so much fun in that fish room.thinking about make mine bigger.whatever you choose will be a nice and unique setup.gl