Crabs 155g In-Wall Fish Room Build

Mjl714

Nice spot, Helen Lake, Sylvania Wilderness area of the Ottawa National Forest, beautful kayaking, no motorized vehicles allowed.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Nice spot, Helen Lake, Sylvania Wilderness area of the Ottawa National Forest, beautful kayaking, no motorized vehicles allowed.
Very awesome. Bit of a hike for a weekend trip but I will have to check it out sometime. Thanks!
Definitely cornered, this looks like an amazing build. I cant wait to see it come together!
Thanks Kerber... just have to wait for the tank now! ETA end of September

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mjl714

Definitely too far for a weekend, but if you ever head that direction let me know, I'll dial you in to some awesome places.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
[MENTION=3182]jfmkem82[/MENTION] thanks for the pukani dry rock. It will go very well with the system. I'll let you know once I get my aquascaping started!

Wildisme

I would say corner for sure. Give a bigger feel to the room as well giving the advantage of the side view.

Aqua scape looks good from the 120. Did you just brace it, use the rock putty to cure it all together. Then remove the braces?

If you end up deciding to unload some of the branch rock let me know. It would go good in the seahorse side of the twin setup I'm designing now.
Looking forward to seeing your build completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I would say corner for sure. Give a bigger feel to the room as well giving the advantage of the side view.

Aqua scape looks good from the 120. Did you just brace it, use the rock putty to cure it all together. Then remove the braces?

If you end up deciding to unload some of the branch rock let me know. It would go good in the seahorse side of the twin setup I'm designing now.
Looking forward to seeing your build completed.

I did brace while using the putty to cure it together. After 24 hrs it was strong as anything without any bracing.

Funny you mention that as I'm considering going with all Pukani instead as I am not sure how to make Pukani and branch rock work with one another well.. May end up using some of it in my 60g frag system but we'll see. PM me if you are interested and let me know how much you want.

Last edited:

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
So I picked up a Rubbermaid structural foam stock tank for the sump yesterday. I'm thinking about building a glass box with bubble baffles to eliminate bubbles from skimmer and returns back to the tank. Will also have to put some glass down where the heaters are going also.. don't want to melt through the stock tank and flood the basement!

Thoughts? Am I going about this the right way or are there other ideas/recommendations?

View attachment 22113

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Wanted an early look into the wall where the tank is going. Knew there was some electrical but wanted to be sure about how the soffit was tied in and if there was anything structural..

So far so good.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Thanks [MENTION=15]1boatnut[/MENTION] for the rock. Have it all out back with the rest of it in a bleach bath at the moment.

gig em

Man, this is one aspect of northern houses I'm super jealous of, having basements to have a bar and fish room! In TX our soil is about 1" deep and then it's solid limestone! This looks like it's going to be an awesome build and set up. Do you expect elevated humidity issues in the fish room? How will you limit it?

Wildisme

Man, this is one aspect of northern houses I'm super jealous of, having basements to have a bar and fish room! In TX our soil is about 1" deep and then it's solid limestone! This looks like it's going to be an awesome build and set up. Do you expect elevated humidity issues in the fish room? How will you limit it?
I have never really seen too many issues with elevated humidity. However just to be safe when I have built fish rooms or filtration rooms. A simple bath ceiling vent can keep humidity in the room down. I've kept over 500g in a room about 10x8 and never had an issue.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I expect to have a little humidity. My basement is already quite damp as it is. In the winter it is self managed with our furnace pulling out most of the humidity in the house; however in summer I'm either going with a bathroom fan or air exchange unit. I'm going to see how bad it is first!
I have never really seen too many issues with elevated humidity. However just to be safe when I have built fish rooms or filtration rooms. A simple bath ceiling vent can keep humidity in the room down. I've kept over 500g in a room about 10x8 and never had an issue.

Good to know! Thanks.

gig em

I assume you have to deal with the tank getting too cold in a basement? In Texas we only ever have to deal with over heating, with the exception of the 3 months out of the year when it's cool outside

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I assume you have to deal with the tank getting too cold in a basement? In Texas we only ever have to deal with over heating, with the exception of the 3 months out of the year when it's cool outside
That's actually a reason why I'd like to see how the humidity goes. If the fish room stays warm, then less heating is required.

My basement stays around mid 60s year round also. Insulated from extremes which is nice

Wildisme

That's actually a reason why I'd like to see how the humidity goes. If the fish room stays warm, then less heating is required.

My basement stays around mid 60s year round also. Insulated from extremes which is nice

Typically in a finished insulated basement you will not have the issue. During the summer I had a large fan mounted on a wall that would blow over the 210g sump to help cool the tanks. In winter is was pretty stable. Usually only one of the heaters would kick on while the backup rarely would kick on.

JMalone81

So I picked up a Rubbermaid structural foam stock tank for the sump yesterday. I'm thinking about building a glass box with bubble baffles to eliminate bubbles from skimmer and returns back to the tank. Will also have to put some glass down where the heaters are going also.. don't want to melt through the stock tank and flood the basement!

Thoughts? Am I going about this the right way or are there other ideas/recommendations?

View attachment 22113

I have the same Rubbermaid tub but I have another tub my overflows drains into with skimmer and cheato into inside of Rubbermaid tub.You can google search and get some good ideas