Dave's 57g SPS Build (Pic Heavy)

DAS212

Would like to start a log of my tank build so I can map progress and share with everyone on here.

Equipment
57 Gallon Oceanic Illuminata
2 Aqua Illumination Vegas w/ wireless controler
2 Vortech MP10WES
Reef Keeper Light w/ pH probe and temp probe
Tunze Osmolator 3155 Auto Top Off
Reef Dynamics INS100 Skimmer (I believe this is the right model but have no way of checking)
Standard BRS 1.1ml per min dosing pump
BRS GFO & Carbon Deluxe Reactor
CPR in tank Refugium

Fish/Inverts
White Tail Bristletooth Tang
2 Premium Grade Picasso Clownfish (Booyah's Reef)
3 Blue/Green Chromis
Watchman Goby & Shrimp Pair
Royal Gramma
Red Mandarin Female
Cleaner Shrimp
1 Anemone (Was told that it was a mixture between a orange anemone and a "texas sunset", googled the name and never found any info maybe someone here knows)

Corals Worth Mentioning
The Original Purple Monster Frag
ORA Phil's Granulosa Frag
ORA Pearlberry Frag

RIP Due to Alkalinity Swings
ORA Hawkins Frag
Strawberry Shortcake Frags

Have a bunch of other random, but still pretty, SPS. Have some yumas and a few ricordia.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
What is the greenish-yellow coral in at mid level in your tank? The one that appears to be on a frag plug. I'm pretty sure I have this coral, but don't know what it is.

fwadiver

looks like a birdsnest, sour apple or ora green with orange skin.

what return pump do you have, also that is a kole or yellow eye tang and the tank is a bit small for him.

DAS212

What is the greenish-yellow coral in at mid level in your tank? The one that appears to be on a frag plug. I'm pretty sure I have this coral, but don't know what it is.
Some kind of birdsnest but in a much more pale green than I've seen before. Pretty neat looking.

DAS212

Im going to put a pair of tweezers buy the tank and pull the little bastard out next time he pops up

DAS212

Also set up my RO/DI a few days ago, got the 5 stage RO/DI from BRS. Made about 50g of water and the ouput on my dionizer is already reading above 0, according to the booklet I already need to replace the DI resin?!? I know I have really hard water, thinking of buying another dionizer unit or maybe this is just how things are suppose to be. Also, I noticed a glossy film on the top of the water after I mixed my salt. Im using 2 35g brute containers, one for salt and mixing and the other for fresh. I HAD to buy a heater because the water was at 60 degrees sitting in my basement and I dont think I will get accurate readings with my refractometer at that temperature. Im thinking about buying a 29g glass aquarium from petland to mix my salt in, read an article about how the BRUTE cans possibly leach harmful plastic residue into the water when exposed to heat. The fresh will be fine since its cold, but at least I will have peace of mind when heating up some water to mix salt if its in a glass aquarium.

View attachment 15441View attachment 15442

DAS212

Have a TON of space down in the basement, as you can see, I connected the RO/DI unit to a water outlet that was originally installed incase the basement was completely finished (only half is). With all this space, I think I'm going to buy a 6ft frag tank to install nearby and hand a big metal halide from the ceiling. my 57G Oceanic is very tall, so looking down on a tank would be a nice change of pace :laugh:

DAS212

looks like a birdsnest, sour apple or ora green with orange skin.

what return pump do you have, also that is a kole or yellow eye tang and the tank is a bit small for him.

Its called a Supreme Classic Model 9.5 which does 950 GPH lol, a little overkill, I have a valve that prevents it from going full out. I can post a pic if you like, just got my iphone camera lens fixed so Im going nuts with being able to get pics again!

DAS212

Your setup looks great.
Thanks Smitty! If I remember correctly you had the gorgeous massive frogspawn in your display tank?!? Seeing that in one of your tank pictures and poidog's when I went to get corals from him has made me keep my eyes out for a good looking one :cool: