Dave's 57g SPS Build (Pic Heavy)

DAS212

That anemone pic is awesome

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Thanks Nate, can you believe that was taken with an iPhone 4S? Right now, that little guy is the pride and joy of my tank, Im target feeding him as best as I can, ill be sure to let you know if he splits.

Herbie

Banned
Is that coloration in the pic pretty accurate? If so, dibs for sure. :)

DAS212

Is that coloration in the pic pretty accurate? If so, dibs for sure. :)

Yes, surprisingly very accurate, looks even better in person. Like no anemone I have ever seen before, thats why when I saw it I knew I had beg the person to let me buy it! I even had to convince them to sell me the entire piece of live rock too because he wasnt coming out haha. Been doing some reading on anemones to see what I need to do to get them to split but alot of mixed info out there.

Reeflogic

Enjoying the read Dave, great looking set up. Can't wait to see which direction you go with the stand and possibly the frag tank!! I had not heard about the brutes leaching anything when heated? Even at temperatures in the 70 degree range? I am using a 44 gallon brute for RO/DI storage, built it up 4' high with a bulk head and check valve to easily fill a 36g brute for salt mixing, which has 2 powerheads and a heater. Now I must google this leaching!!! ;)

DAS212

Enjoying the read Dave, great looking set up. Can't wait to see which direction you go with the stand and possibly the frag tank!! I had not heard about the brutes leeching anything when heated? Even at temperatures in the 70 degree range? I am using a 44 gallon brute for RO/DI storage, built it up 4' high with a bulk head and check valve to easily fill a 36g brute for salt mixing, which has 2 powerheads and a heater. Now I must google this leeching!!! ;)
Glad your enjoying Doug and thanks for reading!,

I came across this Reef Central Thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2149198) which contained a link to this thread on marine depot forums ( http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic101230.aspx) interesting stuff. Although it isnt the best evidence out there it def makes you think.

- Dave

DAS212

I have been burning through DI resin like crazy, have had it go bad after 50-60 gallons of water. I have a 5 stage BRS DI unit you can see in the pictures above. Anyone experience this? is it normal?

Smitty

Premium member
Your initial tds reading must be kinda high for you to be burning thru di resin that fast.

Tank2379

I agree with Smitty how long have you had you're current Filters in and when was the last time the Membrane has been changed. If your're TDS is higher than .02PPM then you're membrane may be ready to be replaced...

DAS212

I agree with Smitty how long have you had you're current Filters in and when was the last time the Membrane has been changed. If your're TDS is higher than .02PPM then you're membrane may be ready to be replaced...
I just installed the unit and flushed it, then made about 50-60 gallons of water and my TDS meter stopped reading 0.000 and started reading 0.002 coming out so I changed out the DI resin and the filter but left the membrane as those are only changed every 12 months (or so I read). It said in the booklet that you need to change the resin when it stops reading zero outbound. I will have to check and see what it is coming in but I know that we have hard water at my house.

Tank2379

I just installed the unit and flushed it, then made about 50-60 gallons of water and my TDS meter stopped reading 0.000 and started reading 0.002 coming out so I changed out the DI resin and the filter but left the membrane as those are only changed every 12 months (or so I read). It said in the booklet that you need to change the resin when it stops reading zero outbound. I will have to check and see what it is coming in but I know that we have hard water at my house.
A membrane can last up to 2 years with proper maintanence with filters being changed as maintanence requires. Also if you ever made a mistake and ran Hot or Warm water in you're 5 stage you membrane may need to be changed, but this is just what I have experience with my 5 stage from BRS and it's going on 4 or 5 years strong right now...

DAS212

Picked up a large Echinata frag from reefwise two dats ago, have to say I'm extremely satisfied! What an amazing piece! Its got full polyp extension and its doing great on my frag rack until I find a place for it in the rockwork. Im hoping sho tank gets some nice colonies in so I can buy a few to add to my system!