Durso overflow help

so i made my durso pipe. helped with the air sucking off the top of the tank(awesome). very quiet there. however in my sump the water that is overflowing is rushing out too hard?, or still too much air? not really sure . i finally got the water levels all right but underneath sounds like a waterfall. the water is violently rushing in creating all kinds of turbulence in the sump. i have an empty 20gal with no baffles as my sump for now. (im making one later). ehiem 1260 return pump in sump with heater and a hob protien skimmer(adding a mag 5 into sump for protien skimmer tomorrow) durso stand pipe in display tank with 1"bulkhead on bottom tank(drilled) underneath tank i have the pvc running down 4" then 90 to the left for 24" then 90 down 7" so that the end is submerged in the sump. any suggestions, or is this just something i have to live with?

SkullV

Google "reverse durso drain". It won't be perfect since you have an open sump, but it will help.

DanSreef

Premium member
I had a similar problem. I ran my hose / pipe from the standpipe…into the sump and into a filter sock and made sure that the end of the hose / pipe terminated below the water line in the sump. This helped with the sound of the water.

One other suggestion is to make sure there is a small airhole at the top of your durso standpipe. If there is no air entering the pipe...a siphon could be created which will take out too much water…too fast… If you have an overflow box around your durso… you could notice the water level fluctuates. Does the water level in your sump fluctuate? This fluctuation up and down would indicate a siphon starting... breaking....starting...breaking... and this can be noisy. I know of some people drilling a hole and attaching a small airvalve… to regulate just enough air to keep a siphon from occurring. I have just a hole.

yeah i have a hole, went thru 3 caps till i got it right kept drilling too big, i think i started working on it too late last night. stopped the water flux, but the pipes below shake and even the durso in the tank vibrates a little bit(now that the airhole is adjusted it vibrates very very little, probably from the pipes below?) so the only problem is the air/sound/bubbling in the sump. i looked up the reverse durso, im gonna give that a try

twogood4u

You be getting the problem from the 90 degree elbows. Rule of thumb is to make 45 degree angles. ur 90s might be causing air pockets in the pipes.

yogoshio

+1 on the 90 degrees. It can be done, but you might need to get an air hose in there to let it out.

i cant fit 45s under my tank unless i move the sump over. wont extending the return line weaken the return flow rate? if not, cant i just come straight down with the overflow drain, and just have the T and 90 for the air chamber(on the reverse durso). what do u mean get an air hose in there? possibly thru the cap in the regular (not the one in sump area, the one in display tank) durso