Eddie79's 16g Nuvo

sparky5785

I believe it is cyano it comes and goes in new tanks. Make sure you stay on top of your water perameters.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

sparky5785

Since the tank is very new you should be testing everyday or every other day until you are sure your tank has cycled after that you can test once a week or more if you see a reason to i.e. excessive algae or corals closing up etc

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Eddie79

Premium member
Hi everyone. I have got some great advice so far on how to set things up in my tank. It's been up and running for about a week. All of my levels seem great. My nitrate is OK, but everything else is great. I was wondering if I should get a hydor koralia to increase the flow in my tank. If so, should I purchase the 425 or 240 for my tank. After the live rock and live sand I really have about 12.5 gallons of water in my tank.

Eddie79

Premium member
If I am going to be growing coral, will I need something to increase the flow in my tank? I've read about people putting two seperate pumps in the back to increase flow. Should I go that route or just get a power head like a koralia nano 240 or 425?

tinman

If you guys could give me any advice, I would really appreciate the help.
Hey buddy :) check your pm. You sent me the same question in pm I saw it there before here so I answered it in the pm. Make sure your pm box has space left

Jep21

hey ed, I have a buddy who did the two pumps two maxijetts 900.. He gets great flow with the two pump and with it it keeps the display really nice and clean ..

Eddie79

Premium member
I have a second stock pump for my Nuvo (as the first tank arrived shattered). Can I use two 211gph pumps in taht tank or will that be way too much?

tinman

you can use 2 pumps in the back,

but here are the limitations of going with 2 pumps in the back instead of a koralia in the front .......
1. the flow is unidirectional that is even though there is good flow over all there would be two jets like flow streams making it too much flow to keep any corals in their way and may cause sand storms or remove sand from the place they are hitting.

2. the overflows of nuvo tanks are very calculated i think. .so if you stuff too much filter floss or anything limiting the flow the main display area will overflow as the back chamber would be emptied much faster.

having said that, there is no rule that flow has to be done only in one way .. wait till you need more flow after you add corals and then decide what to do would be my suggestion ..

Jep21

I have a second stock pump for my Nuvo (as the first tank arrived shattered). Can I use two 211gph pumps in taht tank or will that be way too much?
i would go with something a little stronger IMO.. if you dnt like maxijet 900 u can always go with a maxijet 400 or 600

Jep21

you can use 2 pumps in the back,

but here are the limitations of going with 2 pumps in the back instead of a koralia in the front .......
1. the flow is unidirectional that is even though there is good flow over all there would be two jets like flow streams making it too much flow to keep any corals in their way and may cause sand storms or remove sand from the place they are hitting.

2. the overflows of nuvo tanks are very calculated i think. .so if you stuff too much filter floss or anything limiting the flow the main display area will overflow as the back chamber would be emptied much faster.

having said that, there is no rule that flow has to be done only in one way .. wait till you need more flow after you add corals and then decide what to do would be my suggestion ..
You can put two of the Y return nozzles to help with direction of flow the tank so there are no dead spots and if u want u can even add the IM spin stream.
View attachment 17213

For the overflow i just say get one of the Intank media baskets for them and that should solve the overflow issues.

Eddie79

Premium member
This morning I woke up and my large emerald crab was standing on the top of the rocks with its clippers open trying to catch my tiny snowflake clown. I was wondering if I should take him out and get a smaller emerald crab. Do they ever catch/eat fish or am I being paranoid?

frostyjay1

They will catch slower fish. I had and emerald catch a perc clown before. Get it out. find a different type of crab if you want one. Like a pom pom crab. they are awesome

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I'd say to slow down a little. It sounds like you might be moving too quickly. Your tank is a little over a week old and you already have fish. You surely haven't cycled the tank fully? Your nitrates are probably fine because it is too early to have any. How about the ammonia? As many others on the forum say, nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. Sit back for a while, let your tank cycle, and hope the livestock you already have makes it through the cycle.

If you guys could give me any advice, I would really appreciate the help.