Eddie79's 16g Nuvo

Eddie79

Premium member
Thank you Herbie I will look up videos on how to take them out.

I ended up getting the Marineland Led with the built in timer. I bought a Kessil a150w 10k with the gooseneck, but my fiance said it looked tacky and would only tolerate something that sat close to the tank. I liked the look of the kessil much better (was a bit to white for me) but it was a new light or no tank, so I went for the marineland. I guess I will see if they are able to grow anything soon. Hopefully they work because the tank is only 13 inches deep.

Eddie79

Premium member
I still have the Kessil. I tried to sell it on here but I need 25 posts first.

I've read a few posts on how to get rid of the aiptasia, does eveyone suggest getting a peppermint shrimp?

steveo9043

I had aptasia when I setup my tank. I was lucky it didn't take over. I think I had about 18 of them in my 72 gallon. First addition were peppermint shrimp and in a few days the 4 peppermint shrimp ate all the aptasia. I had good luck with them. Others say they haven't.

How much you want for the kessil? You can PM me if you want.

tinman

Thank you. I will pick up a small peppermint shrimp tonight.

your tank is new.. just look closely and see how many of those aiptasia you find..

Peppermint shrimp do clean it off but i really dont trust them..

another way to get rid of aiptaisa is to do kalk paste. I see you are in chicago, if you want i can give you the supplies you need to do it and tell you how to do it when and if you want to come get them, send me a pm if you want to.I am located in westloop.

tinman

your call, what i do is just use my finger and push them into the sand ;) and grow chalices iover the sand bed :D

Herbie

Banned
that's a personal choice. Once your cycle is complete and your cuc is doing its thang they won't turn green and stand out as much. it's a good idea to use a stick to stir up a little section of your sand bed each time you do a WC and use a cheap plastic turkey baster or small PH to stir up all of the detritius before you do your water changes. Good CUC members will do that for you too, but a litle maintainence on your sand consistently will save you major headaches in the future.

Eddie79

Premium member
Another quick question. Should I remove the criptic sponges from my rocks before they die and mess up the water? I checked all of my levels yesterday and everything was perfect excepty my PH was a little low. I just dont' want them to die in the tank and screw things up.

As for the stuff at the bottom of the tank, can I just grab it with my fingers and pull it out?

Thank you!

Eddie79

Premium member
One more thing. If I buy premade salt water from my LFS for my water change this weekend (until I figure out how to add salt to the RO water), how long will it last. I only need 2.5 gallons for my water change this weekend but they come in 5 gallon jugs.

tinman

Dont really bother about the cryptic sponges dying off.. you should be fine.

and regarding ph, do you live in an apartment ? thne you need to make sure of two things 1. add an air stone and that would get your ph to the good levels ( add a little filter floss so the bubbles wont spray salt all over) seconf thing make sure the tank is level that way your water flows thru both sides and you would get better results..

Another quick question. Should I remove the criptic sponges from my rocks before they die and mess up the water? I checked all of my levels yesterday and everything was perfect excepty my PH was a little low. I just dont' want them to die in the tank and screw things up.

As for the stuff at the bottom of the tank, can I just grab it with my fingers and pull it out?

Thank you!

Eddie79

Premium member
Can I add the air stone in the back of my tank or do I need to add it up front?

Also, what should I be putting in the two compartments in the back of my Nuvo 16 besides a heater and Chemi Pure Elite?

Last, there seems to be sediment (looks like white/grey dirt) in the back of the tank on the bottom, should I try to syphon that out or just leave it?

tinman

Yes, the airstone would be in the back chamber. ( ihad lots of issues with it and finally got to run it fine) ill show you when you stop by

that white grey dirt thing is debris floating around and finally settles.its better you siphon it but dont have to do it like every time. make sure you wont disturb it and let it back into the tank.

my back chamber only has filter floss and heater and that airstone. you can add stuff to the chambers later, id leave them as is for now.

Can I add the air stone in the back of my tank or do I need to add it up front?

Also, what should I be putting in the two compartments in the back of my Nuvo 16 besides a heater and Chemi Pure Elite?

Last, there seems to be sediment (looks like white/grey dirt) in the back of the tank on the bottom, should I try to syphon that out or just leave it?

Eddie79

Premium member
If anyone is familiar with the Nuvo 16 filtration, I was wondering if you just wash out the media in the back when you do your water changes? How often should I clean them out? What to I clean them with?

Eddie79

Premium member
So one of the live rocks that I purchased has what looks like wax all over the side of it. I was wondering if this is bad or good and if I need to do anything. Thank you all for you help as I get this tank up and running. I really appreciate it.

View attachment 17058