Favorite LFS?

mr_z

yeah probably did speak to the guy you guys are saying. im going to try going in there a few more times and see how it goes. its funny how robs is like 2 minutes from aquatica. its a fierce battle.

scotty

i say a bad experience is a bad experience. there are plenty of places to go, making it essential for those guys not to have "bad days."

Perfect example of that is scott's. when you put signs that says, "if you want something go find someone"... i have a college degree in business marketing/management, that is terrible guest service, and would never go there again.

misenplace101

I've visited most of the LFS around and don't have a favorite. Each LFS will have their strength and weakeness, that's why I perfer online.

There's a place in Wooddale?

Oh... I'm new here and in the process of setting up a 120 closeloop system.

EyeReef

I've visited most of the LFS around and don't have a favorite. Each LFS will have their strength and weakeness, that's why I perfer online.

There's a place in Wooddale?

Oh... I'm new here and in the process of setting up a 120 closeloop system.
Welcome to CR!:D

misenplace101

It's going to be a slow slow slow build.... I will get pics on what I have so far.
I want to do this right the first time (i hope) and I have to wait for the renovation of the family room in april.

Catran

Hi Everyone! Is there really a place in Wooddale? That's just down the street from me. Can anyone tell me the name? I like Midwest Coral Farms although I picked up a lot of live rock from Beyond the Reef. I like the guys at Advanced Aquatics also.

DanSreef

Premium member
Hi! My neighbor and I have a whole group of LFS we frequent...
ShoTank in Mudelein
Fish Planet Deerfield
SeaSchor Buffalo Grove
Beyond the Reef Schaumburg
Advanced Aquatics Schaumburg
Exotic Aquatic Algonquin
Sea Escapes South Elgin

Just to name a few. We also head into the city and have gone to places like
Old Town Aquarium
Living Sea
Old Orchard Aquarium
Coral Reef Pet Center
Living Sea

We like to do a tour of the LFS every couple of months. We usually see a lot of the same....but every once in a while we will uncover some interesting stuff. We are always looking for new places to go. MidWest Coral Farms is one we just discovered and plan to visit.

triggerfish

Aquapros in glen ellyn, its a tiny store in the back of another store but the owner is great and can get anything you want. always great quality and prices. i have bought most of my fish from him.

triggerfish

is the place in wooddale the huge wholesaler?
i bought some koi from that place a couple of years ago, i didn't know they had marine fish!

misenplace101

is the place in wooddale the huge wholesaler?
i bought some koi from that place a couple of years ago, i didn't know they had marine fish!
Wholesaler.... is this place open to the public? How are the prices? What do they have? Any info would be great as I would like to check them out.

Thanks in advance.

Catran

I've heard a place in Wooddale mentioned a couple of times but no location or name. Anyone know?

saltymike

Chicago Reptile house is probably one of the worst places that I've been to. That guy should really stick to reptiles because he has no clue about reefs. The aquarium adventure off boughton had some really dirty tanks the last time that I was there. I think it's crazy that any lfs should ever have tanks full of agae. With that said, I think Aquatica in Tinley Park is by far the nicest place around. Their tanks are in pristine condition, they have a great selection, and all the employees are very knowledgeable. The only downside to Aquatica is that Mario can be a little pricey sometimes.

EyeReef

Chicago Reptile house is probably one of the worst places that I've been to. That guy should really stick to reptiles because he has no clue about reefs. The aquarium adventure off boughton had some really dirty tanks the last time that I was there. I think it's crazy that any lfs should ever have tanks full of agae. With that said, I think Aquatica in Tinley Park is by far the nicest place around. Their tanks are in pristine condition, they have a great selection, and all the employees are very knowledgeable. The only downside to Aquatica is that Mario can be a little pricey sometimes.
Welcome Mike to ChicagoReefs!

mr_z

yeah mario is kinda pricey but hell match any price if you have the proof. and if you guys wanna see a bad lfs go to animal krackers pet center in merrionette park on 115th and kedzie i would only buy dry goods from there cuz theyre cheap but i did buy a few blue legged hermits that are doing good. but their coral tanks are filled with bubble algae and some green grass looking algae its a nightmare. they also need to replace their light fixtures which the lights look so weak.

Lmecher

Living Sea Aquarium runs good sales every week. I go there often because it is so close. Aside from the specials, prices are high. It can be frustrating, finding someone free to help you with a purchase.

I like Midwest Coral Farms, they have a nice selection of softies at reasonable prices.
I have never purchased fish from them.

Midwest Coral Farms
1546 Old Deerfield Road
Highland Park, IL. 60035

mr_z

I've heard that living sea place is always expensive. In craigslist they always post an add talking about having a big sale and that they're closing down. I think they're desperate for customers because they're doing this. Thy also mention about only being open sat and sun only. I wanna check it out tho see how it is

i have mistaken this store for one called capture the sea read my post below lol sorry :-(

Lmecher

I am unaware of them going out of business. I just stopped in there the other day. Could you post a link to the craigslist add? I looked and could not find anything
Here are their hours.

Open 7 days a week at 11:30 a.m.
Monday thru Thursday 11:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Friday 11:30 to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday 11:30 to 6:00 p.m. Sunday 11:30 to 4:00 p.m.