Favorite LFS?

I have 2.

Aquarium adventures on boughton rd and 355. They do the 50 off sales all the time and their inverts are always good prices, and frags are healthy and comperable.

Trop-quatics in downtown lombard for anything hardware, and they do commision sales on used gear. Amazing quality of livestock and prices don't get better, and if you pinch a little they will price match.

Do they still have the white birdsnest coral in there over flow coral tank...lol

1boatnut

Ha HA,,,,Capture The Sea isn't even a real LFS in my opinion.
They have been going out of business for the past year,yet they still get in orders.
Maybe they can toss a smoke bomb in the place and try for a fire sale next.
Oh,and their only open on the weekends

scotty

i got some awesome live rock from capture the sea for 6 bucks a pound, anywhere online sells this same rock for 12 bucks a pound. I would never buy a single fish in there, but i guess thats the case anywhere, pick and chose the deals.

1boatnut

i got some awesome live rock from capture the sea for 6 bucks a pound, anywhere online sells this same rock for 12 bucks a pound. I would never buy a single fish in there, but i guess thats the case anywhere, pick and chose the deals.
Glad you got a good deal
Me,if he was giving things away,chances are I still would not go there.

misenplace101

I have not been there..... I see on CL that he runs a 50% off closing sale. A few people have told me he raises his prices and even with the discount it is still more expensive then any other LFS.

misenplace101

That is bad business practice, I bet he gets a lot of newbies thinking they are getting a great deal. How is he still in business anyway... posting closing sale but still staying open?

Ms0099rg

I have not been there..... I see on CL that he runs a 50% off closing sale. A few people have told me he raises his prices and even with the discount it is still more expensive then any other LFS.
Yeah stay away prices are so high.

I have the info on the Woodale PM me . Also the Woodale price are the BEST in the area.

1boatnut

That is bad business practice, I bet he gets a lot of newbies thinking they are getting a great deal. How is he still in business anyway... posting closing sale but still staying open?
Good question.
There was talk on another board awhile back of turnining him in to the Village.
I guess there are some sort of regulations that when a business is closing,they must adhear to

DanSreef

Premium member
So... I have to thank the folks on this board for recommending Midwest Coral Farms. I have been there now twice in the last week and must say that they have great stock alot of choice and the people there are outstanding.

I think I have spent $100 plus on each trip. Everything is doing well and is adjusting nicely. Yesterday Ipurchased a bunch of SPS frags ....5 for $20. Granted they are not large frags but they are helathy and look great. I purchased some Ricordia to make another Ric-Garden. They had some stunning pieces....one of which was bright red...unfortunately....that one was priced way too far out of my range. I purchased a sea fan... and a beautiful blasto frag. All of these pieces are in great shape...and priced nicely.

I would hihgly recommend the folks over at MCF... It is worth the drive for me from West of Elgin just to go snooping around. If you have not visited them... I would highly recommend doing so.

Lmecher

So... I have to thank the folks on this board for recommending Midwest Coral Farms. I have been there now twice in the last week and must say that they have great stock alot of choice and the people there are outstanding.
I would hihgly recommend the folks over at MCF... It is worth the drive for me from West of Elgin just to go snooping around. If you have not visited them... I would highly recommend doing so.
Yes, I love this place. A few weeks ago I purchased a few large leathers, and a small frag of sympodium...all on sale, very healthy and reasonable. It is the kind of place that really gets me excited when I walk in, like a junkie about to get a fix. I used to feel this way about Premium Aquatics On Roselle Rd. I am glad I found this place MCF, I missed that feeling!

A story about Capture the Sea in Tinley. A couple of years ago, we stopped in. As was were looking at the inverts and fish in the small cubical tanks. A wrasse jumped out of one of the tanks, my husband caught it. It was absolutely amazing. I should have taken this as a sign. Was this little fish trying to tell us something? We still laugh about it. :D

1boatnut

I purchased a sea fan... All of these pieces are in great shape...and priced nicely.

Good luck with the Sea Fan.
I have always shyed away because they were always listed as "Expert Only" & I'm no expert:D

Stonefish13

Well since I live in the south suburbs I generally frequent two shops for the most part and those are Rob's Aquatics and Aquatica. Both places have excellent livestock and while dry goods are more abundant at Aquatica you can't beat the prices at Rob's for both livestock and dry goods. Mario starts out higher in price on just about everything but as stated he will price match on most things with proof but at Rob's you don't need proof of a lower price because his prices are already lower than anyone else around. Also customer service is great at both stores in my opinion. Rob is very knowledgable and will go out of his way to make sure you get what you want and also that it will work in your tank. For the most part the same can be said for the service at Aquatica as well. Both stores will order you whatever you need if they don't have it in stock as well so that's a plus as well. Capture the Sea is a complete joke. Their prices are absolutely outrageous and their stock is garbage. I wouldn't take something from capture let alone buy something from them. And although this is a reef site for freshwater needs you can't beat Animal Island in Midlothian. They are a mom and pop store with very friendly customer service and great prices on livestock and dry goods as well as reptile and small animal supplies.

mr_z

yeah capture the sea posts a new ad in craigslist every month saying theyre closing and that they have 50% off never gone and after all i hear never think i will. and aquatica yes is awesome robs is just getting started up and looks good an yeah they do have some good prices. i heard that rob used to work at aquatica and left to start his own business idk if thats true tho.

Stonefish13

Rob didn't just work at Aquatica he ran the entire shop for five or six years before he and Mario had a falling out. Rob knows his stuff for sure and even though they have only been open for 8 or 9 months they get some great pieces for ridiculous prices.

Pufferpunk

Coral Reef is 10 minutes from my house. Has been for 25 years & they've always treated me right. Lets me return any fish, buys frags from me, great deal on live blackworms & fantastic prices!

Ms0099rg

+1 coral reef ... Use to live one block from there same owners and great people.. And right next to Allegretti Bakery hands down BEST pound cake!!!

mr_z

Rob didn't just work at Aquatica he ran the entire shop for five or six years before he and Mario had a falling out. Rob knows his stuff for sure and even though they have only been open for 8 or 9 months they get some great pieces for ridiculous prices.
well i dont know exactly what happen just that he left the place but ima go back to robs and see how it goes since the first time wasnt so good

rmklasen

I shop at Living Sea in Park Ridge. They have great sales going on every week, so it's worth checking out their website on a regular basis.

Based on the other posts I'm reading, I'm definitely going to check out Midwest Coral Farms in the near future!