Grow out

Cubano32

Premium member
So I see in the past all the grow outs are usually sps based.

Anyone interested in a non sps grow out. Thinking something like some cool zoa or chalice, or cool LPS war coral or some sort idk just throwing out ideas to get some more people involved and keep this great group we have here active.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Since zoas are one of the few things I've been able to grow, I wouldn't mind trying one of those for a contest. Could be fun.

Cubano32

Premium member
Yea I wanted to do something fairly on the easier side since not all of us are into sps or have had good luck growing them...so I was just throwing out ideas ...if you guys want to try a zoa I'm game throw out some ideas on which ones

Cubano32

Premium member
I guess we should find out what everyone is comfortable spending on a frag as speckled kraks are not cheap lol

tinman

Decide on the below
1. Number of ppl, start a list
2. How much is per person.
3. which coral to go with
4. Prize for the winner ( top 3 ? top 2 ? ) ( have to set aside some money from the initial pot say $50 entry $35 goes to frag $15 goes towards Prize)
5. Growout time
6. How the winner is choosen
7. talk to vendors ( or supporting vendors of CR) to see if they would sweeten the prize pot with some coral or equipment if bought from them )

Speckled Kraks is a great idea as its one of the must have zoas but yes entry price would be higher around $85 - $90 id say if i have to run the grow out :) ..depending on how many i might be able to provide :D if this is the choice

Cubano32

Premium member
Decide on the below
1. Number of ppl, start a list
2. How much is per person.
3. which coral to go with
4. Prize for the winner ( top 3 ? top 2 ? ) ( have to set aside some money from the initial pot say $50 entry $35 goes to frag $15 goes towards Prize)
5. Growout time
6. How the winner is choosen
7. talk to vendors ( or supporting vendors of CR) to see if they would sweeten the prize pot with some coral or equipment if bought from them )

Speckled Kraks is a great idea as its one of the must have zoas but yes entry price would be higher around $85 - $90 id say if i have to run the grow out :) ..depending on how many i might be able to provide :D if this is the choice
Wow awesome man.yea I never done a grow out so I'm not sure how to go about this I was just putting this out here so if anyone here wants to get this thing up and running or let me know what I can do to help out I'll do it

goat585

Administrator
I think this is a great idea. I don't have a reef so I can't participate but will support you guys however I can. Just let me know what you need from me.

Thanks

sh0tyme83

I've done a couple zoa grow outs. They are fun. Way easier (to me at least) to decide who wins. When doing a growout for SPS, growth is very minimal. At least with zoas, you just count heads. Usually the ones I did were $15-$20. Usually 10 for the frag then the winner got like $100 depending on how many people entered. Usually we did something like bam bams or sweet looking no namers so the price wasn't high. Basically just find an awesome looking colony of zoas. Have someone frag it to 1 polyp per plug, let them heal for a week, pick up and grow. 1 month - 2 month time frame is usually good enough.

Cubano32

Premium member
Here are a few I just quickly skimmed through I thought were cool looking from zoanthids..com

GugsJr

TeamCR
Hope I'm not imposing but I figured a local farmer would be better then risking ordering online.

So I talked to Justin from ReefNation (he's a local farmer out of St.Charles) and he said he'd be willing to help. He would make single frags and pick up could be at his place.

Here are frags he could for us.

$10 PP
Blue Hornets, blow pops, Tubbs blues, Shannon watermelons or la lakers.

$15 PP
utter chaos, sunny d, or bam bam.

Then whatever the entrance fee would be.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cubano32

Premium member
Hope I'm not imposing but I figured a local farmer would be better then risking ordering online.

So I talked to Justin from ReefNation (he's a local farmer out of St.Charles) and he said he'd be willing to help. He would make single frags and pick up could be at his place.

Here are frags he could for us.

$10 PP
Blue Hornets, blow pops, Tubbs blues, Shannon watermelons or la lakers.

$15 PP
utter chaos, sunny d, or bam bam.

Then whatever the entrance fee would be.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks craig yea that deff is a big help I'm ok with any of those.

First let's start a list of people who want it. Comment with "I'm in" so I can put a list together and then we can decide one which zoa