GugsJr 240 Cube

Sawdonkey

Premium member
These were my settings

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yeah, that’s fairly blue heavy. I use the Orphek “quick settings” and choose the 10k option. It’s not pretty to the eye, but my camera responds well to it. It’s easier to add blue back in using software (or your phone photo editing) than it is to take it out.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
There’s also a phone app called Aquarium Cam that lets you put a digital orange filter on your photos. I don’t love it, but it sorta works.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Orpheks, so they are best lights you’ve used, why?
Color of the tank Radions you have to turn the whites down to almost nothing to get corals to look good so your tank looks like a bottle of windex. The Orpheks you get good color with whites on so you get amazing looking colors and fish colors.

Spread and blend of colors less disco balling.

This is a XR30W G4 Pro on the right and a Compact Gen 2 on the left.

Mjl714

Very nice, really like the side by side pic. I see what you mean, left side definitely looks better. How’s controlability?

Reef is looking good.

Last edited:

tinman

Color of the tank Radions you have to turn the whites down to almost nothing to get corals to look good so your tank looks like a bottle of windex. The Orpheks you get good color with whites on so you get amazing looking colors and fish colors.

Spread and blend of colors less disco balling.

This is a XR30W G4 Pro on the right and a Compact Gen 2 on the left.

kinda disagree.. may i ask what percentage the whites on radions are ? i mean even in the pic the side with radons look much brighter ( and hence the washed out look) ..

ofcourse orpheks provide better coverage as they are not the puck variety of lights. The actual leds are spaced out in the orpheks where as radions provide a much sleeker look when there is no canopy in question.

GugsJr

TeamCR
kinda disagree.. may i ask what percentage the whites on radions are ? i mean even in the pic the side with radons look much brighter ( and hence the washed out look) ..

ofcourse orpheks provide better coverage as they are not the puck variety of lights. The actual leds are spaced out in the orpheks where as radions provide a much sleeker look when there is no canopy in question.
On both LEDs everything was at 100%. They may look brighter but the fact is that the Orpheks performed better as well taking par measurements. I'll have to see if I still have the par numbers I took. At the surface they were pretty close but as you went down into the tank the Orpheks were giving me better number and more evenly spread par numbers.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Very nice, really like the side by side pic. I see what you mean, left side definitely looks better. How’s controlability?

Reef is looking good.
Control ability the edge goes to Radions as you can control all individual colors opposed to 4 channels. Also infinite time points compared to 8 or 9 depending on gateway for the orpheks

tinman

On both LEDs everything was at 100%. They may look brighter but the fact is that the Orpheks performed better as well taking par measurements. I'll have to see if I still have the par numbers I took. At the surface they were pretty close but as you went down into the tank the Orpheks were giving me better number and more evenly spread par numbers.

Par numbers and leds also dont go hand in hand .. kessils are one of the most notorious for this. lets say a kessil 360N with both channels set to 100 would show around 70 only at the sand bed of a 20 inch tank ( personal experience) but leaving them at 100 on both channels pretty much kills any chalice in long term where as from t5s some chalices gladly take over 200 par.

not sure what you are running your orpheks whites at normally but anything more than 50% on radions whites i assume would bleach any acro.

im not saying one light is better than another but the way to compare leds is not by how bright they look or what par numbers they show. i personally wouldnt use any other led than radions ( one per 24 x 24 inch section, sps or lps or softies tank) but to each their own :)

Last edited:

GugsJr

TeamCR
Par numbers and leds also dont go hand in hand .. kessils are one of the most notorious for this. lets say a kessil 360N with both channels set to 100 would show around 70 only at the sand bed of a 20 inch tank ( personal experience) but leaving them at 100 on both channels pretty much kills any chalice in long term where as from t5s some chalices gladly take over 200 par.

not sure what you are running your orpheks whites at normally but anything more than 50% on radions whites i assume would bleach any acro.

im not saying one light is better than another but the way to compare leds is not by how bright they look or what par numbers they show. i personally wouldnt use any other led than radions ( one per 24 x 24 inch section, sps or lps or softies tank) but to each their own :)
Agreed, I have a Kessil A360 over my Biocube, had Radions/T5 combow and now Orpheks/T5 Combo. For me Orpheks have worked best with color and growth. I know a few people who tried Orpheks and went back to Radions.

It's like I always tell people there is no cookie cutter process to this hobby. Every ecosystem is different and what works for me may not work for you.

If I was to rank them it would be Orphek then Radion the Kessil. I'm waiting for my Orphek compact replacement parts to come in to replace my Kessil A360W.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Well I worked out a deal with a LFS to see if I could save a Chevron that wasn't eating for a few weeks with them. I got it eating but not enough it seems. :(

GugsJr

TeamCR
Well removed the T5s and added two OR Bars to add extra par in the edges.

Been a few weeks now on already getting better color on the SPS on the edges.

3rd picture is all lights off and last picture is only the two 36" OR2 Bars

GugsJr

TeamCR
Blue light only picture. I only have only blues 2 hours a day 1 hour ramp up in the morning and 1 hour ramp down at night