How long does DI resin last you?

kylarse

My incoming TDS is about 250, RO membrane takes it down to 2-3, but a brs canister of DI media only lasts a month before im getting 2-3 TDS out of the DI again.

Don't see anything funny on a ICP analysis, so how long should it last and what can I do better? System has 2 x 75 gpd membranes, auto purge, booster pump and I divert first 5 minutes to waste every time I make water. Pressure is 80-90 psi with booster.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mjl714

My TDS is about 160, which the RO reduces to 4-6 TDS, and DI reduces to zero for about 5-6 months. I used to get poorer performance, but adding a second carbon housing seems to have really helped in my case.

kylarse

My TDS is about 160, which the RO reduces to 4-6 TDS, and DI reduces to zero for about 5-6 months. I used to get poorer performance, but adding a second carbon housing seems to have really helped in my case.
Thanks, I'm running 1 sediment and 2 carbon prior to the 2 RO membranes, forgot to add that detail. Wish my resin lasted that long.

kylarse

Try degassing one time before you put your water threw your di resin. You may have high co2 in your water. (Which depletes resin quickly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know of 3 degassing methods, none of which are cheap. 1, bubble helium through water, 2, put water under vacuum, 3, membrane degasser,

Is there another way to delays that im not thinking of?

Thanks

oceanfreak09

I know of 3 degassing methods, none of which are cheap. 1, bubble helium through water, 2, put water under vacuum, 3, membrane degasser,

Is there another way to delays that im not thinking of?

Thanks

The way I degas mine is to bubble it with just an air pump and a air stone. Works great. I go threw 1/6 of di resin then I used to.
I use my booster threw my 3 prefilters and threw my membrane into a 40 gallon breeder. Then after that I use the same booster but reattach it to lines that run it from the 40 breeder threw my di resin canister and then into my Reservoir for my top off.

Reefaholic

Premium member
My incoming TDS is about 250, RO membrane takes it down to 2-3, but a brs canister of DI media only lasts a month before im getting 2-3 TDS out of the DI again.

Don't see anything funny on a ICP analysis, so how long should it last and what can I do better? System has 2 x 75 gpd membranes, auto purge, booster pump and I divert first 5 minutes to waste every time I make water. Pressure is 80-90 psi with booster.

Thanks.

How many Gallons are you using/filtering per Month?

I’m running the same set up as you are and my DI resin last about 3-4 months.
Tap water has 140 -160 TDS, and I filter about 60 to 80 gallons per Month.

Deezill

Premium member
I can get about 300 - 350 gallons before having to change my DI. my incoming tds is about 255. I make about 160 gallons of rodi and it last for quite a while. I use the 160 gallons for top off and I make new water for biweekly water changes so rather saying how long in months I say gallons.

kylarse

How many Gallons are you using/filtering per Month?

I’m running the same set up as you are and my DI resin last about 3-4 months.
Tap water has 140 -160 TDS, and I filter about 60 to 80 gallons per Month.
About 60 gallons of rodi.

kylarse

The way I degas mine is to bubble it with just an air pump and a air stone. Works great. I go threw 1/6 of di resin then I used to.
I use my booster threw my 3 prefilters and threw my membrane into a 40 gallon breeder. Then after that I use the same booster but reattach it to lines that run it from the 40 breeder threw my di resin canister and then into my Reservoir for my top off.

I'll try this. But would prefer to automate. Thanks.

Larry Waughon

My incoming TDS is about 280, RO membrane takes it down to 2-3, but a brs canister of DI media only lasts for about 150-200 gal of water. I called BRS and was told thats about normal.

dvanlier05

Thanks.

I was the same. I had a BRS 4 stage and upgraded to a BRS 7 stage. Now with the cation, anion, and mixed DI, I go 4 months before needing to change out resins.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
From the way I understand it, when you do them individually, you can figure out which one is getting burnt up fastest and just replace that one more often. Then you’re not throwing away the unspent other one.

Mjl714

I currently start with a single mixed resin until the tds output rises to one, then I had a second Mixed resin. When tds output rises to one, I pull out old resin, moved second into first pass and add a second new mixed. Seems to work pretty good.

ultimatemj

I'm getting 5 to 6mo out of the base level BRS color changing DI with a BRS 4 stage, booster pump, and water saver kit (second membrane increases capacity to 150gpd but the real win is HALF the waste water).

I have my ATO feed directly from the RODI via an Avast Barrel Tender. The RODI is turning on once a week for a few minutes to generate 3gal to refill the ATO well. And the rest is for water changes (~18g every 2 or 3 wks)...which is what drives time variance (5 or 6 mo).

Incoming TDS is fairly low (15 to 20) and output is 0, but my village seems to have high silicates...so I typically become aware the DI is spent when I get an algae break out in my tank LOL