Jerks Build Uncensored....kind of

jayjerk

Premium member
What's up goons...seeing as it that I no longer have a build thread up(great crash of2014.) I'd figured I'll try to get something done. With that said here we go....

So as some of you may recall I started my reef addiction with a oceanic 72 bow...I had a great experience with that system. I kept mainly lps coral...about 4 months after that I got another itch and decided why not opened a 29gal system.
View attachment 4873

That 29 gal system ran mostly z and p's....well that 29 crashed on me :/ so I decided to rebuild. I rebuilt the 29 and in the process of doing so decided I wanted a mother tank...here's a shot of the 29(post crash.)
View attachment 4874

so I shut down 29...again and purchased a 25 cube. Cube was an instant cycle and all was well...when the cube was safe to add coral. I made the move on my mother tank.
View attachment 4875

I posted the 72 and 29 and a very nice young lady from Japan purchased it from my at a very friendly price. With that now gone and he help of [MENTION=2293]Slimm[/MENTION] I grabbed
View attachment 4876

This was on hefty mother. The guy I bought it from had 4 guys load it in my truck. At 48"x24x30 with 3/8" glass Prob weight 300+ lbs empty. Got it home and my brother and I took it in and set it where it sat for several weeks.

I than began to work on a stand...did so with a basic design and 2x4s. Stand measured 48.5 x 24.5x36. What's not I'm this picture is all the extra 45° angle pieces of word I added inside the 2x4s for strength and stability. Think of each 2x4 joint having a triangle in it.
View attachment 4877

Last edited:

jayjerk

Premium member
So after skeleton was build. It once gain sat for a few weeks before I started to work on it again. I skinned it with 1/2" plywood of some Brazilian wood I can't remember the name of. Very short tight grain pattern. Different looking....anyhoot ...skinned over the skeleton all the way around and tossed tank on.
View attachment 4878

With tank on I began to add some commercial and some custom molding. At this point my wife finally bought into my skills...lol
View attachment 4879

Fast forwarding past all the fillings and staining. I ended up with this
View attachment 4880

With the tank and stand now ready. I had to figure my sump out. I chose a 40 breeder only because I couldn't get anything bigger underneath my stand and still have space to house an ato box. I went with a 3 chamber sump made a bit differently. On left is tank overflow/skimmer chamber. Far right I made the largest refugium with 10 lbs of sand and 5 of fuge mud lit with a coral compulsion fuge bulb... five is being fed by overflow t off and controlled by a gate valve. Flow in fuge is a slow trickle..in middle are 2 pumps one jebao dc6000 to feed skimmer and a dc9000 to feed tank and 36w turbo twist uv sterilizer.
View attachment 4883

For a skimmer I decided to go with hydor premier 1005 recirculating skimmer...this thing is a monster. Now we add some water and sand I kept from old tank....filled rest with fresh batch of tropical Marin bio actif. Used my 2 ever grow it2040s from my 72.(later added a third)And I got
View attachment 4881

Had a few rock slides due to the weight of this mother...so I added a floor Jack in my basement and finally decided to use the acrylic rods bestowed upon to me by [MENTION=1217]madjoe[/MENTION] and make a strong standing structure. End results is nice imo
View attachment 4882

Last edited:

anarchy

Haha from the beginning of time to the present. Kinda nice to see everything that happened. Tank looks great

madjoe

Premium member
Rock work looks great in persin whole tank does. I was glad to c my purple tang swimming around in his big azz house now

jayjerk

Premium member
tank looks great man! I didn't even know you got rid of the 72! lol
Thanks for all the kind words everyone....
[MENTION=1446]steveo9043[/MENTION] : not many knew. I'm good at keeping things close to the chest...finally decided to share my success ...well so far

ultimatemj

Nicely done!

Are you dosing something? It looks like there are 2 containers on the right there...

And what all is alive in the DT?! LOL

jayjerk

Premium member
Nicely done!

Are you dosing something? It looks like there are 2 containers on the right there...

And what all is alive in the DT?! LOL

I dose 2 Part. Esv or evs whatever it's called...bionic...as for what's alive...everything...lol

jayjerk

Premium member
I'll try again...

Say, what fish are in there?
Which corals are your favorites?
I have a purple tang (mj) blue throat trigger (Nino) scribble rabbit (aa coral) vroliks wrasse (skullv) ornate wrasse (mj) six line wrasse and royal gramma (Jules pet shop)

Favorite coral wcr rainbow and ora pb

jayjerk

Premium member
Yea I been slacking...I've had a down moment so got to get back on track documenring everything..let me figure out how to work my new camera. What's best setting to take pics and get rid of some of the blue?

Last edited:

DJE

Yea I been slacking...I've had a down moment so got to get back on track documenring everything..let me figure out how to work my new camera. What's best setting to take pics and get rid of some of the blue?
Where are the pictures! What camera do you have? When [MENTION=259]MMreef[/MENTION] came over he took pictures in Raw format and then adjusted the white balance and that helped removing some of the blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk