JVC's JBJ 12 "Budget" Build

JVC

Hey guys, just thought I'd post up what I'm working with for now!

JBJ 12 Original
DX Stock Pump
Oceanic 250gph Power Head
Stock Sponge in first chamber
chemipure and purigen in second chamber

The hood is bare so I have some fans I'm going to mod in and on their way to my house are two separate 18w CF lights I'm gonna mount on a piece of plexi that will sit nicely on top of the tank.

As of right now, here's how the tank sits. Super Shitty cell phone pic.

Today I put all of that rock in from MCF. 20lbs for 20 bucks, can't beat that price! I went in there, found a few good pieces from the $4.50 bin, then Reid told me that the other bin was $1 since they wanted to get rid of it. I liked the fact that it was a bit smoother and I felt would give it a cleaner look especially once covered in coral. I only put the water in a few days ago so I have a long way to go but I'm excited to have ANOTHER hobby to take my money, (cars, photography, RC Cars etc... LOL).

Thanks for Looking!
-John

rattyE36

Don't forget about the two hitch hikers you got! There's 2 blue leg hermits in there! I wouldn't at all be surprised if they made it through the cycle...we'll see!

JVC

Don't forget about the two hitch hikers you got! There's 2 blue leg hermits in there! I wouldn't at all be surprised if they made it through the cycle...we'll see!
Oh yeah! Forgot about those! Jeff and Slinky! lol, jk.

JVC

Thanks man! My lights showed up today and now I gotta get the Plexiglass part cut to fit the top so I can set the lights down since th clamps on the lights don't go over the edge. I'm still contemplating running it open top...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mr_z

looks good. i had about that much rock on my jbj when i started it and decided it was way to much and not enough room for anything so i took half out. but looks good tho.

JVC

Update.

Got the lights in today, they came with clamps but I ended up cutting a piece of plexi I had sitting around to make a splash guard then just set the lights on top of that.

One 18w 9" 6500k and one Acitnic

Just the Acitnic

Top view with lights off.

Top view when I had two 6500k bulbs.

My plan is to get the other bulb as a 50/50 and maybe run two 50/50s in the future. For now it works and it keeps me on the "budget" side. My plan is to get some cheap Autozone blue led's and wire them to a 12v power supply (or some led's from radioshack) and run those for moonlights.

-John

noduh

the only thing i might change is the rock on the side glass it will be hard to clean when u scrape the glass i like to see the coral from the sides to

JVC

I'm gonna get those setup tomorrow night probably. Found a power source for them and everything!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JVC

Picked up some free frags from Brad (rattyE36) and finally got some life in my tank!

GSP (and some algae that grew in the 2 days I was out of town)

Finger Leather

and my majestically flowing Kenya Tree!

I plan to go to MCF on Wednesday or Thursday and pick up a bunch of other frags to really get this started! Any recommendations on hearty relatively cheap frags would be appreciated!

-John

JVC

Replied! Too bad I didn't act sooner and pick up those LED's from you!

I'm thinking about some mushrooms, pulsing xenia, zoas and maybe a hammer or something of the sort. I will also probably pick up a Cardinal fish or maybe some more snails and a shrimp or two!

JVC

picked up a MSS today but I'm still having trouble with the rear expansion overflowing the chambers and just being full of water and not forcing the water through the purigen and chemipure i have in the back. Anyone else had this problem? I think I might need a stronger pump.

JVC

Just picked up some more frags! Green Candycane, red mushrooms and christmas tree favia. Also two more margarita snails and another emerald crab! MCF comes through with a win again!

JVC

Any opinions on the algae growth on the back top rock? Someone on Nano-reef said it could be flatworms but in no way does it move or anything.