Longevity of pests in a tank

Cubbies

How long do pests stay in the tank after treating. Whether it be AEFW, red bugs, types of nudis or simply flatworms. :flame:

poidog

Then I wouldn't call it a successful treatment.

Why what are you having a problem with?

Cubbies

Then I wouldn't call it a successful treatment.

Why what are you having a problem with?
I noticed FWs about 4 days ago. I think they came from a couple of frags I bought a couple weeks back because I had never ever seen them. There were very minimal numbers so I quickly went out and got flatworm exit and treated the tank. I did everything per instructions and it seems to work. I just noticed maybe a couple of them back so I guess I will dose in a few days again like recommended.

Cubbies

Just as a disclaimer I did not have these when I have sold or given stuff away! I would never in my life do such a thing and that is why I want to get rid of these things. I love sharing my reef with my community but can NOT do so while I have them. :thumb:

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Just as a disclaimer I did not have these when I have sold or given stuff away! I would never in my life do such a thing and that is why I want to get rid of these things. I love sharing my reef with my community but can NOT do so while I have them. :thumb:
We all love FWs :a26::a26: Let me know if you need any help :hello:

Scarlett778

Oh yes flatworms are such a joy, it took us three tries with flatworm exit to rid them four months ago. Let us know if you want yo use flatworm exit I still have half a bottle left in my storage box. We learned a great lesson with this. Dip and qt!

Cubbies

Btw ours was NOT from a reefer it was from a store. Ya never know where you'll get it, it's like an STD lol
Yep so were mine unfortunately! But it's ok I think one more dose should do the trick. Thanks for the offer but I had to go out and by it as soon as I saw them. I wasn't going to wait around for a week to get it through the mail lol!

DanSreef

Premium member
Sounds like you need a little yellow coris wrasse...! I also had FW in my 72. I treated a couple of times and it seemed like they kept outliving the treatment. So, I got a small coris wrasse and he has wiped them out. Other wrasses will also take care of them...like mystery wrasse....etc.

But are you sure they are all gone? That's the biggest problem I have is people think they are all gone and they keep fragging and selling corals! Buying a wrasse will help but the flat worms hide that doesn't solve the problem it just keeps them in check. Flatworm exit works but the problem even there is there might be the one lucky one that survives and is hidden you think they are gone and SURPRISE there they are. Its a joke when people say yeah I used it then a month later they are fragging. Imo they are the worst reefers ever if you have a pest you should wait a min of six months plus before you even think about fragging and even still be warning people saying you are pest free and being pest free are very different and the spread of these are proof that some people and store are very dishonest and will do anything for a buck or two

DanSreef

Premium member
So....fundementally I agree with your comments. Then again, even with FWE... the little buggers have survived in my tank after mutiple treatments.... and as I understand in other reefers tanks. I think adding a natural predator to the pest is an ideal combination and solution as ultimately the population will not be able to sustain itself.... perhaps my logic is flawed.

One other thought... I think everyone should have a process of QT'ing and dipping corals before they introduce them to their tanks. This is the best defence to unwanted pests. We should never go on trust or on someone's word that their tanks are pest free.

My two cents worth.

jcarlilesiu

But are you sure they are all gone? That's the biggest problem I have is people think they are all gone and they keep fragging and selling corals! Buying a wrasse will help but the flat worms hide that doesn't solve the problem it just keeps them in check. Flatworm exit works but the problem even there is there might be the one lucky one that survives and is hidden you think they are gone and SURPRISE there they are. Its a joke when people say yeah I used it then a month later they are fragging. Imo they are the worst reefers ever if you have a pest you should wait a min of six months plus before you even think about fragging and even still be warning people saying you are pest free and being pest free are very different and the spread of these are proof that some people and store are very dishonest and will do anything for a buck or two
I don't think everybody is out to get you.

Our tank was treated several times, and when we were fairly positive, we started fragging again. 4 months later, still no sign, thus it appears we were correct.

Part of this hobby is pests. Its why everybody says to drip and quarantine. The responsibility to protect what you put in your tank is on you. Getting mad at everybody else for pests is a bit unreasonable.

I never said anyone was out to me I am saying people should wait before they claim "they are pest free" I dip everything because I trust nobody. Nobody said I was mad at anyone I just can't stand people who say they are pest free when they still can have some and keep fragging and selling stuff. The people who get most defensive about it usually are the ones that do it