Mrs. Smitty's Gorgonian tank

Jep21

so what are u thinking fish wise for this tank and when ur ready bro i have some gorgonians that i can frag off for u..

Smitty

Premium member
so what are u thinking fish wise for this tank and when ur ready bro i have some gorgonians that i can frag off for u..
She's still playing with the idea of what to place in there...and that'll be greatly appreciated sir. Thank you!

Smitty

Premium member
Have you thought about possibly putting a pair of Seahorses in there? Would be a great tank for them.
That's exactly what I was thinking of putting in there at first..the only issue I see is that all the corals need moderately high water flow, and seahorses need more gentler waters. So it'll be too much flow for them I think.

Smitty

Premium member
I told her, for this to be her 1st saltwater tank, she had to choose an expert only tank...smh, women, I tell ya. Hahaha

Triggerdood

Pipefish work, you can also keep some other fish with them as well. As long as they aren't aggressive/territorial, and won't out compete the horses for food. I had a ywg/pistol shrimp, Bengaii Cardinal, and a Pearly Jawfish with mine.

steveo9043

Smitty I'm sure you have done research so I'm wondering what's your plans for water parameters and feeding for the non photosynthetic gorgonians

Mobile browsing

Smitty

Premium member
Pipefish work, you can also keep some other fish with them as well. As long as they aren't aggressive/territorial, and won't out compete the horses for food. I had a ywg/pistol shrimp, Bengaii Cardinal, and a Pearly Jawfish with mine.
Cool...Yeah, there's few options out there, but at least, there's options to add to the tank.

Smitty

Premium member
Smitty I'm sure you have done research so I'm wondering what's your plans for water parameters and feeding for the non photosynthetic gorgonians

Mobile browsing
I'm glad you asked....for filtration, of course I believe in mostly natural filtration, so I've added a 3-4 in sand bed...I'll also be adding much more live rock. Since I've upgrade my protein skimmer on my mixed reef to a bubble magus, I'm putting my old aqua c remora skimmer on her tank. I've just placed the order from marinedepot for a new mj1200 pump and the prefilter box. I'll also be running carbon. Mixed in with the corals, I'll add various display micro algaes, to help with filtration. I'll be feeding the tank every few days a mix of azox, rod's food, reef chilli, which I already have tons of at home. I'll probably supplement the tank monthly with pods(if needed, but I doubt it). I think that should take care of the filtration and feedings. And of course, good ole water changes, I'll figure out the needed cycle once the tank is up and running.

steveo9043

I'm glad you asked....for filtration, of course I believe in mostly natural filtration, so I've added a 3-4 in sand bed...I'll also be adding much more live rock. Since I've upgrade my protein skimmer on my mixed reef to a bubble magus, I'm putting my old aqua c remora skimmer on her tank. I've just placed the order from marinedepot for a new mj1200 pump and the prefilter box. I'll also be running carbon. Mixed in with the corals, I'll add various display micro algaes, to help with filtration. I'll be feeding the tank every few days a mix of azox, rod's food, reef chilli, which I already have tons of at home. I'll probably supplement the tank monthly with pods(if needed, but I doubt it). I think that should take care of the filtration and feedings. And of course, good ole water changes, I'll figure out the needed cycle once the tank is up and running.
Sounds good! I was doing some research on them, have you thought about growing your own food? Ive read a lot of success stories by growing your own phytoplankton. Thought it might be worth looking into.

SkullV

[MENTION=2509]rockhead[/MENTION] has a really nice purple gorg. It's really big and his frag was super generous!

rockhead

I do I do 6+ " and purple as can be , and I thinkTed has some in his fuge. IM out of town till next weekend we can talk when I get back.

Tom