Mrs. Smitty's Gorgonian tank

jrpark22000

Premium member
From what I've read, they are under powered only bringing down the temp of a small nano a couple degrees over air temp.

SkullV

What is your goal temperature wise? If it's to maintain 75 or below I would spend the money on a real quality chiller. There are always good used deals to be had too.

Smitty

Premium member
Yes sir Ted...I'd like to keep it around 75-76° if possible. I may place my chiller on her tank one day when I eventually upgrade my tank, and then just purchase another larger chiller for my setup.

SkullV

Yeah, I would see what a fan will do for you. Otherwise start checking out Craigslist, RC, and other local used places for a decent JBJ or something higher quality.

Smitty

Premium member
Well, I'm saddened to announce that one of the seahorses have passed away...his tail had got caught in the side of the mp10. When I freed him, he swam off and eventually beside the rock wall. When I checked this morning, he was gone.
R.I.P Lil buddy

SkullV

Sorry to hear that :(. For some reason I thought you said you were going to be using the sponge guard. Definitely have to use it with seahorses. I even had to use a guard on my Koralia nano. Hopefully you can find a good replacement and put your pair back together!

Steve1986

Sorry for your loss. Off subject, you don't think the mp10 was to much flow for a seahorse in a tank that small?

Smitty

Premium member
Sorry to hear that :(. For some reason I thought you said you were going to be using the sponge guard. Definitely have to use it with seahorses. I even had to use a guard on my Koralia nano. Hopefully you can find a good replacement and put your pair back together!
I'm kicking myself because I mentioned it to the fiance that I was gonna put it on there, and the next day, he was caught in it. So I immediately placed the sponge guard on it this morning. Yeah, Mario at Aquatica said he'll call me when they get some more in. I'm also gonna pick up a pipefish pair from him.

Smitty

Premium member
Sorry for your loss. Off subject, you don't think the mp10 was to much flow for a seahorse in a tank that small?
I initially thought the same thing, but it's on lagoon mode on the lowest setting. It's a nice gentle flow and they seem to like to occasionally swim in the open water.

SkullV

I'm kicking myself because I mentioned it to the fiance that I was gonna put it on there, and the next day, he was caught in it. So I immediately placed the sponge guard on it this morning. Yeah, Mario at Aquatica said he'll call me when they get some more in. I'm also gonna pick up a pipefish pair from him.
Make sure you never ever eeeever mix captive bred horses with wild bred horses/pipes. The captives will almost always contract an infection and pass away.

Smitty

Premium member
Make sure you never ever eeeever mix captive bred horses with wild bred horses/pipes. The captives will almost always contract an infection and pass away.
Oh yeah...I've read that numerous of times...I'd never buy wc anyway. Thanks for that advise. Mario says he only carries cb species.
Quick question tho...could we mix different species in one tank?

SkullV

Oh yeah...I've read that numerous of times...I'd never buy wc anyway. Thanks for that advise. Mario says he only carries cb species.
Quick question tho...could we mix different species in one tank?
As in different species of seahorse or seahorse and pipefish? I'm not really sure on the pipefish requirements but I wouldn't mix seahorses in a tank that small. In general, that size tank is below the reccomend end limit for even one pair of erectus, but plenty of people keep them in this size successfully.

Smitty

Premium member
Oh ok...Yeah, I was thinking if it was possible to mix 2 different species of seahorses. I wouldn't do it in this tank, but it was just a random question I wondered. I know I could put a pair of pipefish in there with them. Either pipefish, or a few firefish. :)